Rattle sound Canon 35 mm F/1.4L II

Nov 27, 2019
Hello. I have bought the lens about six months ago (spring 2019) . And from box I noticed that focus ring have some play and some rattle sound inside. I'm not shake the lens hard.
At summer i have sent the lens to CPS center to test it. Answer - ok, lens condition is in specification.
But, presently i think that rattle sound got louder.
I've create the video:

Sound goes from back lens group. This is my first L lens, i don't know how it should be.
I live in small town without any service centers to check the lens.
Is it normal or not?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I don't have this specific lens model, but to me this sound is not normal. Could be a lose screw or a broken part.
A focus ring with some slight play could be normal.
Send it in to CPS again. Make clear that something is rattling inside, and ask them what it is when they again say that this is normal.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
Send it back to Canon, this sound is absolutely not normal.
Insist that they fix it !!!
The lens is still under warranty, they must repair it!

Reactions: YuengLinger

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
I once had a rattling sound in my lens. I found that the front lens element was loose and rattling. I was able to tighten the ring on the front and it has been fine since. Its always possible for something to come loose, and get worse over time.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
I once had a rattling sound in my lens. I found that the front lens element was loose and rattling. I was able to tighten the ring on the front and it has been fine since. Its always possible for something to come loose, and get worse over time.
But the lens is still under warranty...I wouldn't even touch it.
Otherwise, it can indeed be a way to solve a problem!

Reactions: Maximilian