Real Time Playback While Recording

ok, so i got roped into a video shoot by a buddy of mine (i'm a stills shooter and have resisted previous requests to produce video content).

anyway, i have most of the basic stuff sorted out but i am running into trouble figuring out how to have the video displayed on my macbook pro while i shoot so i can have use of the bigger screen. i have the hdmi adapter to connect the two.

what software do i need and what procedures do i need to do to get this up and running? thx in advance for any insight you may have.

I'm not sure this is as simple as an HDMI cable.

The HDMI connector on most computers is for output only. It allows you to display the computer's screen on an external TV or monitor. It sounds like you are trying to use it as an input, to display the video from the camera on the computer.

When I do video, I use a 7-inch field monitor:

http://store.smallhd.com/Store/AC7-HDMI-LCD-Field-Monitor

This takes the video output from my 5D Mark III's HDMI port and displays it. The size is about perfect; easy on my old eyes, but not nearly as big and bulky as a laptop.

I have also used the CamRanger to monitor video on my phone, and on my Nexus 7 tablet.

Upvote 0