Real world review: Canon EOS R by Fro

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Not necessarily. I have no issues owning multiple systems and I might be interested when Canon releases a real FF mirrorless. However, I am not paying $4k just to get dual card slots, 10fps, full 4k video, a joystick and a wheel when the competition delivers all that for half the price. The prices on the insanely expensive RF lenses needs to come down quite a bit too IMO.
The glass( not the bodies) is apparently some of the best around so I dont see how or why it would go down. The prices seem comparable to other first party top tier glass

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I am a 15 year Canon fanboy who sold my 6D and Canon glass and bought an a7iii and Sony lenses after seeing enough reviews of this camera. Its a fine camera if you are a casual shooting amateur taking pics at renaissance fairs. However, not so much if you are a pro portrait, wedding, sports or wildlife photographer thanks to the poor face tracking/eye AF, ridiculously slow FPS rate, one card slot, no IBIS and inferior 4k video. Not only is the competition from Sony and others better, its also cheaper. Zero reason to purchase this camera over the superior and cheaper competition unless you have about $10k worth of Canon glass laying around.

Here's a reason: Autofocus that isn't a POS.

The Eye AF on the Canon R is actually easier to use than Sony, and I'd argue, better. AI Tracking of a subject the Sony is better, but continuous autofocus on the Canon is far superior. I doubt there are many pro sports or wildlife photographers packing Sony.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily. I have no issues owning multiple systems and I might be interested when Canon releases a real FF mirrorless. However, I am not paying $4k just to get dual card slots, 10fps, full 4k video, a joystick and a wheel when the competition delivers all that for half the price. The prices on the insanely expensive RF lenses needs to come down quite a bit too IMO.
Is the RF 35mm f/1.8 lens "insanely expensive" for you?

Upvote 0
"fantastic job". LOL. :)

I'd rather use the term "half-assed" and give Canon grade "C" at best [or 3 out of 5 stars].

Canon managed to launch a
* mirrorfree 6D III
* at twice the price of 6D II with
* lacklustre Servo-AF tracking/fps performance
* "less-than-optimal" changes to UI
* crippled 4k video (not that I personally care, but some potential buyers do)
* no IBIS
* and a single card slot

And 25% more expensive than Nikon Z6 and Sony A7 III. oO

As far as "compelling system" goes ... 2 fancy "irrelevant to most" pink unicorn lenses [albeit a bit more useful than a manual focus Nikon f/0.95 lens]. Plus RF 24-105 kit zoom not significantly smaller, lighter or better than existing EF versions. And one 35mm f/1.8 lens, weirdly enough with "1:2 pseudo macro" and little working distance from front lens. Not much of a system there (yet).

Only major upside are the "really right" chosen R-mount parameters. (y)
First, the R is better than the A7 III in a bunch of ways, especially ergonomics and EVF and higher res sensor. Second, you fail at basic math; it's not 25% more. Third, the whole huge EF system works with the new R camera, so "not much of a system" is not a big deal.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
What EVF! If they made a $1500 entry level, EVF would be a add-on. Canon severely differentiates their models so that you get less when the price is less. The lack of a EVF, for example will not stop those who want to get into FF Mirrorless at a low price point. Everything about such a camera would be a subtle step down that new entry level photographers may not worry about. They would be comparing it with a M6.
I highly doubt that (even the M6 has the M5 alongside it as a separate model with similar electronics) but we'll see. I also think that the price point will be a bit higher, like 1700$

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Up to him/her to decide. Not to you. Being a Canon Fanboy is no prerequisite to post on this forum. Luckily. :)
I always like getting direct, first-hand information and feedback from Non-Fanboys.
What I actually said (my post seems to have disappeared) was "Well I guess you are affirmed in your decision to 'go Sony', and we won't need to hear from you again?". The replier wasn't providing any practical insight into the EOS R, just letting us know why he (apparently) changed from being a lifelong Canon user to Sony, and how the specs (ie not any actual usage) of the EOS R would not make him change back, given the obvious advantages of Sony over Canon. That is: he was 'affirmed' in his view. In the absence of any other insights, not sure really what else he would have to say on a forum about Canon cameras. But obviously he's as welcome as anyone.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
So post some of the poor photos from the "R", or is your review based on what You hear from others who don'

What EVF! If they made a $1500 entry level, EVF would be a add-on. Canon severely differentiates their models so that you get less when the price is less. The lack of a EVF, for example will not stop those who want to get into FF Mirrorless at a low price point. Everything about such a camera would be a subtle step down that new entry level photographers may not worry about. They would be comparing it with a M6.
In that case a 6DII in Live view mode would do as well (and it would accept EF lenses without adapters). :)

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I am a 15 year Canon fanboy who sold my 6D and Canon glass and bought an a7iii and Sony lenses after seeing enough reviews of this camera. Its a fine camera if you are a casual shooting amateur taking pics at renaissance fairs. However, not so much if you are a pro portrait, wedding, sports or wildlife photographer thanks to the poor face tracking/eye AF, ridiculously slow FPS rate, one card slot, no IBIS and inferior 4k video. Not only is the competition from Sony and others better, its also cheaper. Zero reason to purchase this camera over the superior and cheaper competition unless you have about $10k worth of Canon glass laying around.

Before investing any more in Sony glass, you might want to do your due diligence on the lens mount, because Sony didn’t when they released their A7-series. From Lensrentals.com:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...anonnikon-mirrorless-camera-unfanboy-opinion/

See also here:

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-is-the-official-canon-eos-r-system-white-paper/

Basically the links say that Sony went for a too narrow lens mount for them to make competitive optics, when they chose to use the same mount as they had on their APS-C mirrorless. Further, with the Z series, Nikon finally got their larger mount. They struggled with a smaller mount for many years.

In 5 years, I am sure many Sony users will envy Canon and Nikon users, because they have, and will always have more compelling lens options than Sony.

Upvote 0

The EVF in the Sony is, literally, a dealbreaker for me. On my latest field trip to Best Buy, I was shocked at how good the EVF in the R felt, and how poor the A7III (and X-T2) feel in comparison.

Still waiting to get my hands on an X-T3 and a Z; curious to see how those compare.

Upvote 0
Sorry Jarod but this one really comes off as a puff piece despite the A7iii mia culpa at the end. Were you really demostrating continuous focus with a guy sitting in a chair? Word is Canon marketing has been throwing its weight around getting people to support the R. I imagine they are really putting the screws to these you tubers.

Hi, I think you may want to re-watch the video, please spell my name right Jared. The guy sitting in the chair had nothing to do with AF and everything to do with attempting to fill up the buffer. Second, "word is canon marketing has been throwing..." cool, show some examples or proof of this, i'd love to see that information. You imagine they are putting the screws to us? Where do you get this information, so uninformed and flat out WRONG. You have no idea what goes into doing what we do, so stop trying to saying everything is a "puff" piece or we must be getting paid.

You know what it costs me to create this real world review in man hours? You have no clue what it takes to run this FREE service, so please get informed before spreading false information.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don't encourage him, it is all too easy take poor photos on any camera.

True! I'm a professional at poor photos!! I did not realize that I had posted that, I wrote it and thought I hit delete, instead it copied replies to two different posts together. They are both gone now.

I can't compare it to Sony because I have not used them together. The R is not equal to my 5D MK IV in AF speed, but the resulting images are the same, and AF is much more accurate. I Have AFMA's my 5D MK IV lenses and camera, its doing pretty well except when I get near MFD where it front focuses. The R focuses perfectly at all distances, that is its strength.

I do not like its ergonomics, my hand is too big for it, but it is definitely a better fit than the SL2 its replacing. I really liked the SL2, but the R is much better. I had a Sigma 18-35 for my SL2 whih I only used in live view because it needed AFMA, and to calibrate it using the dock was too long of a process. It focused perfectly with my 15-85, and with my "L" lenses. The Sigma 18-35 went to a new owner this morning. Me and my son are planning to give my SL2 to his daughter for her birthday, but its 5 months off, I might be better off selling the SL2 and getting her a "M" when the Christmas sales hit.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
As for the EVF. I turned off the lights in the photo room of my studio and focused on my backdrop. I could not see the backdrop in the dark.

Here is what happened.

1. Viewfinder was black nothing! I don't know why it started dark like that, I need to check that again.

2. Half Press of shutter button, AF assist light came on, camera focused fairly fast but not instantly, I'd say a second or maybe two to achieve focus. That backdrop that my daughter had been using had a strong high contrast pattern, so there was a lot for AF to grab onto.

3. The viewfinder lit up brightly, and a clean clear view of the backdrop was visible in the dark room. ISO was pegged at 40,000, aperture wide open at f/2.5. I did not check shutter speed because I was just checking the EVF and AF assist as well as focusing in the dark.

There were a couple of slight light leaks thru the covered window to the rear, so after 10 minutes, my eyes adjusted and the room then appeared dark but not total. I might wait until its dark outside and spend more time. I'd have to turn off the AF assist light to see how well it focused without it, but I doubt it could in that light.

The EVF seems pretty good for still scenes, I have not tried fast moving objects, that would be pushing it.

Upvote 0
Before investing any more in Sony glass, you might want to do your due diligence on the lens mount, because Sony didn’t when they released their A7-series. From Lensrentals.com:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...anonnikon-mirrorless-camera-unfanboy-opinion/

See also here:

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-is-the-official-canon-eos-r-system-white-paper/

Basically the links say that Sony went for a too narrow lens mount for them to make competitive optics, when they chose to use the same mount as they had on their APS-C mirrorless. Further, with the Z series, Nikon finally got their larger mount. They struggled with a smaller mount for many years.

In 5 years, I am sure many Sony users will envy Canon and Nikon users, because they have, and will always have more compelling lens options than Sony.

Thanks but I dont want or need 3 pound $3k lenses. The pricing, size and wight is completely absurd. Unlike the R, Sony users are not limited to only Sony lenses. Tons of great lenses from Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron and others. Canon has foolishly made the R a closed system to 3rd party lens companies. Massive mistake.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks but I dont want or need 3 pound $3k lenses. The pricing, size and wight is completely absurd. Unlike the R, Sony users are not limited to only Sony lenses. Tons of great lenses from Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron and others. Canon has foolishly made the R a closed system to 3rd party lens companies. Massive mistake.
What are you on about? Every one of those brands you mentioned makes EF mount lenses, and you can easily and without degrading IQ use them on the R, including all lenses for crop too...

Upvote 0