Recommend me a m42->EF adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
I'd get the adapter without focus confirm chip. A good chip costs $25.00, so what you get may not be very good. (understatement)
There was a post recently where someone had a AF chip hose his camera, it would not AF after using the adapter and chip. Thats probably not common, but at least get a good ship, not a Chinese one. Companies that make the better adapters long ago gave up on the Chinese chips due to failures.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'd get the adapter without focus confirm chip. A good chip costs $25.00, so what you get may not be very good. (understatement)
There was a post recently where someone had a AF chip hose his camera, it would not AF after using the adapter and chip. Thats probably not common, but at least get a good ship, not a Chinese one. Companies that make the better adapters long ago gave up on the Chinese chips due to failures.

Ok, so cheap adapters, go for one without AF chip.

How about more expensive quality adapters that do have a quality AF chip? Any recommendations?

Upvote 0
The guy had a spare 'dump' adapter which works great. Since it's a Macro lens (55mm f/2.8), I probably won't really care about the AF confirm unless I'm actually shooting someone. Oh, and it came with an m42 bellows as well :) Too bad it'll have to wait for a couple of weekends before I'll have time to start really playing with Macro.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Drizzt321 said:
The guy had a spare 'dump' adapter which works great. Since it's a Macro lens (55mm f/2. 8) , I probably won't really care about the AF confirm unless I'm actually shooting someone. Oh, and it came with an m42 bellows as well :) Too bad it'll have to wait for a couple of weekends before I'll have time to start really playing with Macro.
That sounds good. Just because 99 of 100 of the cheap chips work fine, does not mean its worth risking a $500 repair bill to save $20.
Its like the guys who got third party Li-on batteries and they did not catch fire. Therefore, everyone is safe from buying them. Tell that to the guys who died on the 747 brought down by Li-on batteries on fire.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Drizzt321 said:
The guy had a spare 'dump' adapter which works great. Since it's a Macro lens (55mm f/2. 8) , I probably won't really care about the AF confirm unless I'm actually shooting someone. Oh, and it came with an m42 bellows as well :) Too bad it'll have to wait for a couple of weekends before I'll have time to start really playing with Macro.
That sounds good. Just because 99 of 100 of the cheap chips work fine, does not mean its worth risking a $500 repair bill to save $20.
Its like the guys who got third party Li-on batteries and they did not catch fire. Therefore, everyone is safe from buying them. Tell that to the guys who died on the 747 brought down by Li-on batteries on fire.

Err...I meant dumb, not dump. But yea, either I'll stick with the dumb one, or find a quality one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.