Recommendations for a good slide scanner

Antono Refa

EOS 7D MK II
Mar 26, 2014
A relative has gone on a very long (around a decade) trip abroad as a young man, and has shot a large collection of slides. Now he wants to scan the slides.

Could you recommend specific slide scanners, or features he should look in one?

E.g. should he be looking for a scanner than can handle scratches and dust? Auto feeders to save time?

Thanks!

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
Zeiss makes a great slide scanner, does 100 slides a single run, very high resolution scans. Just ordered one, it cost $200K and should arrive in about 3 months.

I probably should have led with the fact that it’s for microscope slides. :p

Reactions: Valvebounce

Dantana

EOS 80D
Jan 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
www.flickr.com
Zeiss makes a great slide scanner, does 100 slides a single run, very high resolution scans. Just ordered one, it cost $200K and should arrive in about 3 months.

I probably should have led with the fact that it’s for microscope slides. :p
3 months?

Great. That gives me time to peel the paper holders off of all my slides and mount them on blank microscope slides. Course I may have to crop a bit.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
This is a case where having them done commercially may make sense. Quality slide scanners for enthusiasts have pretty much disappeared from the market, probably because most of those old slides have been scanned.

It does depend on the quality of the slides, are they worth high end scanning, or will a low cost $500 to $1200 scanner work? Forget the cheap ones.