Status
Not open for further replies.

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
How cheap??
How cheesy?
Allegedly waterproof may last longer

a) Have you thought about second-hand, you can probably get a 3-5 year old 4-10MP camera for next-to-nothing on fleabay (if you do, go one that takes AA or AAA batteries, any old camera with a custom-lithium-battery is probably being sold because its battery has died, and they're expensive.

b) or how about one of those Olympus uTough (or other brand, like Fuji Finepix XP20) indestructible ones? May shell out a bit more now, but I doubt even a 7-year-old could figure out how to destroy it...

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the best time to buy a p & s of any type is really mid-Nov to mid-Dec, when the retailers are really fighting (at least in the US). I'd say splurge just a touch and make sure it's IS, just because it gets nicer shots . . . it gives them a real sense of pride, especially if you take an interest in the shots (have him send you some) and even print the occasional one out for them.

As others mentioned, what's your price range? If it's under $70 or so, watch for clearance deals, if it's at or under $100, just watch for a sale at Staples/Newegg etc. Used is perfectly fine, but "new" still feels more like a gift, especially if he can learn to "keep it nice".

Good luck; now that I read this thread, I just realized I've got to get my son back on the other side of the camera :) He's better than my grandmother was with 110, but I'll blame the camera for that one.

Upvote 0
I just bought 3 of these for some 4-year-old nephews
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FLL5BS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=similaar-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004FLL5BS

the good:
* cheap as can be
* they're definitely real cameras (i.e. not toys)
* easy to use
* water resistant
* no zoom (that's the first thing that would break)

the bad:
* no zoom
* screen could be bigger

the ugly:
* no lithium battery; ni-mh AA batteries are never ready when I need them

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
Orangutan said:
I'd like to buy my 7-year old nephew his first camera. Although he is careful, I have no illusions about the expected longevity. Can anyone recommend a really cheap P&S? It only need be good enough for him to enjoy. (Yes, I know: sacrilege.)

Thanks.
Fuji fine pix xp20 it's tough and cheap my skateboarding teen hasn't destroyed his yet

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks to all for the suggestions. To clarify a bit, I'm hoping to find something in the $50-$100 range. He likes to look at my photos, so my main goal is to see if he's interested in learning to make his own. The specific capabilities of the camera are not so important, I'm more interested in:

• a price I can afford/justify for this experiment
  • a device that "just works" and is durable, so he won't be discouraged by the item itself
  • decent image quality so that he feels good about the results (at his age, anything but really bad IQ would probably do)

The suggestions for water- and shock-resistant are good ones, if I can find something in my price range. The Kodak that was mentioned earlier seems a good candidate, and I'll look into it further. I will also consider finding a used, older model.

Upvote 0
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olympus-TOUGH-TG-310-Blue-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-/200692994284?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2eba3c10ec

$149 brand new then you dont need to worry about second hand problems. these are ok, my mum has one and its been used in the ocean swimming pools etc just run it under a tap when done to clear any salt water from it and dry it off

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
In amongst all the pre christmas junk mail and TVC's there were plenty of entry level point & shoots for under $100. They probably wouldn't satisfy you, but it's something that is semi disposable at that price. If the budget runs to a little more than that, the "tough" compacts may be a useful choice.

Why not check eBay? There are probably excellent P&S cameras there that were premium only a couple of years ago, but now are virtually giveaways.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
AprilForever said:
briansquibb said:
Used 500D might be an option.

My son was on a bridge camera when I was on a 40D

Indeed, a good idea. My little brother (a teen) has an old XT he uses... He hasn't killed it yet... Though he did manage to kill my 70-200! :'(

How'd your parents take it when you killed him?

Upvote 0
D

drzeller

wickidwombat said:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olympus-TOUGH-TG-310-Blue-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-/200692994284?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2eba3c10ec

$149 brand new then you dont need to worry about second hand problems. these are ok, my mum has one and its been used in the ocean swimming pools etc just run it under a tap when done to clear any salt water from it and dry it off

It is only $129 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-310-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B004HO59Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325692884&sr=8-1

David

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
AprilForever said:
briansquibb said:
Used 500D might be an option.

My son was on a bridge camera when I was on a 40D

Indeed, a good idea. My little brother (a teen) has an old XT he uses... He hasn't killed it yet... Though he did manage to kill my 70-200! :'(

How'd your parents take it when you killed him?

;D He's broken plenty of their stuff too! He's clumsy...

Upvote 0
drzeller said:
wickidwombat said:

It is only $129 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-310-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B004HO59Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325692884&sr=8-1

David

$129 for all that camera is a pretty good deal, I dont think you will get much more kid proof than that :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.