Recording Uncompressed Video from 7D mark II

I am currently working on a project with my sister. She wants to film several interviews for a documentary movie. I would like to help her by recording these interviews. I would like these interviews to be recorded on the best available format. It seems that recording uncompressed video is the best way to record video, so I am trying to discover if I can do it. I currently own a 7D mark II, a 6D and a T2i. The 7D mark II is the only camera with a clean HDMI output, so I will use this camera. I could connect it to an Avermedia Extremecap U3 video capture device and link it to my notebook (Dell Vostro 5470 - Intel i5-4200U with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD HD). I have never recorded high quality video before, so I have a few questions:

1) Has anyone used this setup (7D II + Avermedia Extremecap U3 + notebook) to record uncompressed video? Could you share your experience?

2) Is this setup enough? I am worried about computer speed and SSD size. I don´t know if I could use this computer for this task and how fast would a HD need to be in order to record the massive amount of data which comes with uncompressed video. Could I use a SSD external drive (plugged to an USB 3.0 connection) to record the data? Is it fast enough?

3) How large is one minute of uncompressed full HD 1920x1080 24p video?

And I would like to end with another question?

Is this desire to record uncompressed video justifiable? Should I just record it compressed with the 7D mark II usual codec? Is the compressed video produced by the 7D mark II enough for production use?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio

In my opinion, interview video displayed on any TV station can be done with 7D Mark ii in compression mode ALL-i. The big problem is the quality of pedrda that can occur while editing H264.

To avoid this loss of quality, the ideal and use hardware to decompress the video before editing. You can convert files from the camera to an uncompressed format, or low compression, generating files with about 1 gigabyte per minute or bigger.

Search on MATROX MXO2 MINI MAX.

Upvote 0