Red squirrels

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
Thanks for the explanation, my squirrels are from a local ‘reserve’ where they are fed by locals too, but they still se3m quite flighty!
I do hope the graveyard Squirrel doesn’t learn about people the hard way!

Cheers, Graham.

The first set are from a country park where they're actively looked after and fed by visitors, so they're remarkably chilled out about people; the second set were an unexpected fluke - this being in a peaceful graveyard in a North Northumberland valley which is known for Spotted flycatchers but not for squirrels. I knew Reds were in the area, but I'd never seen them here.

I was hunkered down waiting for the Spotflys to show (not hidden away just sitting still and quiet), and this little fella(?) just appeared on a gravestone a few feet away, still a bit too young and naive to have learned to associate people with trouble.

In fact, he was still on the scene when I'd given up on the Spotflys and headed off to pastures new.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
I really like this shot, at first I thought how cold he must be, then I realised how efficient his fur is as the snow is not melting!
I bet he would still prefer a nice sunny day with food easier to find! :unsure:

Cheers, Graham.

Where I live, I get red squirrels, grey, and black.View attachment 185389

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I just discovered this topic! Since I'm in Squirrel free part of the world I hardly can contribute with photos.
Nice to great photos from every one!
There is mix of two different species here: the Eurasian Red and the American Red - they belong to different genera... And I found one that is not squirrel at all (JuanMa - first photo! Second one is right! Both of them nice!). But by this logic my photos (from squirrel free zone :)) may make some sense :unsure::oops:?! The fluffy tail doesn't necessarily indicate squirrel...

Herpestes javanicus - Small Asian mongoose 4_DxO.jpgHerpestes javanicus - Small Asian mongoose 3_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I just discovered this topic! Since I'm in Squirrel free part of the world I hardly can contribute with photos.
There is mix of two different species here: the Eurasian Red and the American Red - they belong to different genera... And I found one that is not squirrel at all (JuanMa - first photo! Second one is right! Both of them nice!). But by this logic my photos (from squirrel free zone :)) may make some sense :unsure::oops:?! The fluffy tail doesn't necessarily indicate squirrel...

Fierce creature that one - our Eurasian red squirrels appear to be playful rather than aggressive ;) (as @bhf3737 shows :LOL: - although that may be an american example...)
W.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

I really like your pictures. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0