Redrock Micro talks EOS 5D Mark II & Mad Max

slclick said:
I bet my bottom dollar the people complaining about the Mk3's are those who spend more time on forums than shooting. Humans like to bitch about things, I get that but this entire culture of acting as if your camera body is obsolete and will not function once the newer model becomes announces is for idiots. 90% of the best photography done in the history of the art was done in film and ages ago at that. Gear is irrelevant. Motivation and perspective is real.
+1
Yep. Show me what you can do, not what you have.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
slclick said:
I bet my bottom dollar the people complaining about the Mk3's are those who spend more time on forums than shooting. Humans like to bitch about things, I get that but this entire culture of acting as if your camera body is obsolete and will not function once the newer model becomes announces is for idiots. 90% of the best photography done in the history of the art was done in film and ages ago at that. Gear is irrelevant. Motivation and perspective is real.

you are joking right? 5D3 video is utter crap blurry mess, only thing is the 5D3 with ML hack can do RAW video and that is amazing but its a hack.

in fact most phones shooter better quality 1080p then 5D3 its really that bad.

Upvote 0
R1-7D said:
The 5D2 is still a bloody good camera. I miss mine despite switching to a 5D3 and 1DX.

I've retained mine as my second/backup body and I still love it and don't see myself selling it in the foreseeable future. There's something really robust about it that I like. Nevertheless it's the MkIII that gets the most use, obviously. The MkIII is also more forgiving and easy to use, which I find especially useful when traveling. Mind I only shoot stills because that is what a DSLR should (primarily) do ;)

Upvote 0

drs

Feb 28, 2012
In the right hands the 5Dmii and the 16/35 is a great combo. Knowing the weakness of each part is critical to not go there in the first place, and play it only from the sweet-spot. ;o)
The 5Dmii was since long an "on set" to go camera for VFX artists, hence they know the results, which was certainly a plus.

However, following the presentation of the Australian Cinematographers about the shooting of MM, I wonder how all of that came together, as the DoP seems to be really ignorant to anything digital.
https://vimeo.com/127381179

There I see the biggest discussion point.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
HurtinMinorKey said:
vscd said:
...it seemes the Dynamic Range was sufficient ;) Even for a Blockbuster...

DR is way less important on a big budget production where you can afford to light everything exactly how you want it.

Not really, the main lighting is not set up for the angles the 'C' cameras provide.

Upvote 0
No Magic Lantern used.

I think in every 5D shot that ended up in the film had the sky replaced in post because it was completely clipped.

Second Unit DOP David Burr suggested the Olympus cameras because he had previously used a heap of them with great success on the movie The Cup.

Being full frame means it is easier to get a wider shot, especially with a 16-35mm.
C300, BlackMagic etc. are all smaller sensors, so not as good at getting really wide shots.
The less distortion the better, because there is going to be a lot of compositing going on.
Codex is too expensive to smash or fill with dust, dozens of them.
Camera budget is a tiny, tiny percentage of the film's overall budget.
Budget for throwaway action cams is a tiny percentage of that tiny percentage.
Even on a big film, the cost of the smallest camera item matters and is calculated.

Remember how long ago this was.

Upvote 0