ReImagine: Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 live stream announced

Feb 5, 2020
It appears as though 90% of Americans don't realize what the S stands for and will happily continue to use it during Daylight Saving time months. Or if they think about it, they do realize it means "standard" but imagine "standard" is just "what everyone in the time zone is using as their standard today" (I.e., that it means "non daylight saving time")

I suggest to people who don't want to have to update their business hours on their websites every time the clock is reset, to just use "ET," "CT," etc. That doesn't help the folks in Arizona, for whom "MT" means, effectively, "PT" more than half of the year; they really should spell out "Mountain Standard Time."

(Note for Europeans who might be scratching their heads: Apparently on your continent the "S" stands for "Summer" (what we Yanks call "Daylight"), so it actually has the opposite meaning here than it does for you. So CEST is summer time, CET is winter time in Central Europe, here EDT is summer time, EST is winter time on our east coast.)

“Hey Siri (or google or alexa), what time is it in New York right now?”

Then look at your watch. Do a little math. Then people will know what time the announcement will be locally. No time change coming up in the next week that I know about.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
....world’s highest resolution new 9.44 million dot EVF...

No matter, which specs the new Sony will have, I will like my new R5. :love:

Agreed, not likely to sway me as this seems to hit all the checkboxes I have been fussy about.. however if they do that, might be a positive in keeping the prices more competitive

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I registered to hear everything, and am eagerly looking forward to preordering the R5! :D

But this post also mentioned lenses to be announced. So I wanted to mention something that many of you might flame me for: DPReview just came out with a great video, which is at
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/633...-call-for-slow-professional-full-frame-lenses

If you watch this video first (please), you might understand why I've liked my 2 Oly lenses so much for what they can do for me (OK: not for portraits with big OOF blur, and I want a bigger & better sensor, but that's why I'm going over to Canon) :) If Canon came out with a FF version of the 2 Oly lenses (which I have) with all the stunning weather proof build & optical quality, they would be the RF 24-200mm f8 L IS and RF 600mm f8 L IS. They'd be roughly the SAME SIZE & LENGTH, and close to SIMILAR WEIGHT in a FF version.

While they're at it, maybe they could extend the wide angle limit a bit to get a RF 20-200mm f8 L IS which would be ideal as a single-lens lightweight superb IQ handheld landscape & high-magnification walk-about/hiking lens (large DOF is great there, and OK: it's NOT a portrait lens with big OOF background, but you've already got lots of those).

The 600 would be ideal for handheld closeups of flowers and insects with a 0.5X max magnification which at 600mm would compress the OOF background out the wazoo so that it would become a smooth gradient between a few colors & luminances and so the background becomes a piece of art in itself, with a sharp object on top of it. It'd also be superb for long telephoto use, like birds perched on a branch. Here's a photo showing the closeup high magnification & OOF background:
View attachment 191093

They also talk about a 3rd video lens which I don't have, but I think that it'd be good to make for FF use also.

OK, you can flame me now. :)
nice shot

Upvote 0
10pm Sydney time... I might not get to sleep after watching then going through the reviews. May be better to sleep first!
I put down a deposit for the R5/100-500mm lens on 21-Feb. Will be fascinating to see where I am in the queue to receive them :)

There's no registration link on https://www.canon.com.au/ , only a countdown timer, I feel Canon doesn't want us to join :( Although I won't make it in time anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
“Hey Siri (or google or alexa), what time is it in New York right now?”

Then look at your watch. Do a little math. Then people will know what time the announcement will be locally. No time change coming up in the next week that I know about.

Except...Siri (or Google or Alexa) doesn't know if Canon USA made a mistake by labeling it as EST (Standard Time) while everyone in the country (except Arizona and Hawaii) is on Daylight Time. It's likely they meant Daylight Time, but because they specified Standard Time, there's uncertainty...

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I'm super excited :p;).....and as soon as the 2020-07-09 date was announced, I booked a week of annual leave. (I had 35 days of annual leave up my sleeve anyway).

Though much of the pre-launch R5 focus (pun intended) has been on video, I do ~98% photos, and only ~2% video. The photo-related R5 specs released so far have me believing the R5 ticks most of the boxes I want for my first FF mirrorless. I have been saving money for the R5 and RF lenses. (My recent promotion at work has helped this cause!) Yay!

So I'll be logging in on "Thursday evening 9 July 2020" - at 21:30 local time here in Adelaide, South Australia, a few hours after my game of squash. I am very keen to learn the main specs of Canon's R5. :love::giggle::geek: I don't have to get up early the next morning... so this is my deliberate plan with annual leave (as well as complete a host of tasks on my own "home" to-do list, and do some photo outings earlier in the week.

I have a bunch of DSLRs and an M5 - along with a whole range of lenses: EF - including L glass,, EF-M and EF-S). Plus 4 x Canon RT flashes and many other accessories. I have used the EOS R extensively and while it's better in use than the specs indicate, the ergonomics and some other aspects meant it is not the FF Mirrorless for me.

PS... the best date format is YYYY-MM-DD It makes filing much more logical and I've been using that format as my default for decades! (but DD-MM-YYYY is my second option). ;)(y)

Regards

PJ

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Except...Siri (or Google or Alexa) doesn't know if Canon USA made a mistake by labeling it as EST (Standard Time) while everyone in the country (except Arizona and Hawaii) is on Daylight Time. It's likely they meant Daylight Time, but because they specified Standard Time, there's uncertainty...

I’m fully confident the only error was saying EST instead of EDT. They don’t have the time wrong.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm super excited :p;).....and as soon as the 2020-07-09 date was announced, I booked a week of annual leave. (I had 35 days of annual leave up my sleeve anyway).

Though much of the pre-launch R5 focus (pun intended) has been on video, I do ~98% photos, and only ~2% video. The photo-related R5 specs released so far have me believing the R5 ticks most of the boxes I want for my first FF mirrorless. I have been saving money for the R5 and RF lenses. (My recent promotion at work has helped this cause!) Yay!

So I'll be logging in on "Thursday evening 9 July 2020" - at 21:30 local time here in Adelaide, South Australia, a few hours after my game of squash. I am very keen to learn the main specs of Canon's R5. :love::giggle::geek: I don't have to get up early the next morning... so this is my deliberate plan with annual leave (as well as complete a host of tasks on my own "home" to-do list, and do some photo outings earlier in the week.

I have a bunch of DSLRs and an M5 - along with a whole range of lenses: EF - including L glass,, EF-M and EF-S). Plus 4 x Canon RT flashes and many other accessories. I have used the EOS R extensively and while it's better in use than the specs indicate, the ergonomics and some other aspects meant it is not the FF Mirrorless for me.

PS... the best date format is YYYY-MM-DD It makes filing much more logical and I've been using that format as my default for decades! (but DD-MM-YYYY is my second option). ;)(y)

Regards

PJ
Enjoy your vacation! Happy for you. Am I correct to assume you are saving some annual leave for when your camera arrives? ;)

• Love
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
What a shame. Registering does not seem to work with Firefox. It needed a couple of time using EDGE as a browser. Still waiting for the details.
It should work as I use FF and had no problem and recieved the email as well as regularly get newsletter too. All that despite my script blocker breaks some sites, and I don't always allow what such sites need if I don't like it and go elsewhere rather than reluctantly allow 3rd party stuff I don't like. Thus doubt that is your issue. Pretty sure I registered on my windows box firefox so you may want to check your browser settings are correct. For reference I'm using standard latest stable build of the normal orange edition which was likely 77.0.1 at the time of registering for R5 update but nothing much changed in newer 78.0.1 that'd affect this. Not using a blue edition ff, on precompiled 64bit binaries for my windows box and other ones are self built but without unusual flags set that'd affect this so basically exactly the same and it works on all of them.

Apologies off topic from camera related but just wanted to confirm it doesn't seem to be Canon nor mozilla issue so you're likely to be able to resolve it your end and for sake of Canon email updates thought may be worth troubleshooting your side. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0