ReImagine: Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 live stream announced

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
I use YYYY/MM/DD for files stored on my servers
Our whole Team uses Filename_YYYYMMDD.XYZ
Likewise for anything I have control over, which includes all my image archive. I know it as the Japanese date format, but it's also the common sense and unambiguous one, and it sorts correctly.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Enjoy your vacation! Happy for you. Am I correct to assume you are saving some annual leave for when your camera arrives? ;)

Thanks so much CFB, for your kindness in being happy for my week of annual leave (which started a few hours ago). ;) Genuinely appreciated!
Yes, I definitely plan on taking some more annual leave when I purchase the R5 (though that could be a bit of time away, depending on budget, availability, etc.)

My plan at this stage is to wait till sufficient number of reviews (by both pros and users) indicate what the camera is like
Though I expect that the full announcement of the R5 will give me a strong indication of how likely it is I will buy it. (So far I'm sitting at about 80% sure).

As I have over 30 days of annual leave (and close to 100 days of long service leave) - plus a few days of overtime, I will have plenty of opportunity to take leave when I need to (for the camera, but more importantly to visit my interstate family in some months time, when it works out best for all of us). :giggle:

The great thing is that I have quite some good EF and EF-S glass that will be compatible with the R5, so getting an EF-RF adapter is a plan (or maybe two in the future). I can see me getting the RF 24-105mm f/4 L as my walk around, and potentially the RF 15-35mm f/2.8 L and the RF 100-500mm L further down the path. Too many options, (too little money... lol!)

What are your R5 / and/or future Canon gear plans, if any? :unsure:

Cheers

PJ

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm more concerned with Canon putting June in the ical download instead of July. Timezones and things like daylight savings change a lot more than you think, but months not so much :)

Nobody has a budget for editors anymore!

It’s safe to say the whole world didn’t miss the announcement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Likewise for anything I have control over, which includes all my image archive. I know it as the Japanese date format, but it's also the common sense and unambiguous one, and it sorts correctly.
the format you use is very common in business that save things online as it makes finding and accessing different versions of documents easy. I've never seen it used in a domestic setting though. Each to their own. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thanks so much CFB, for your kindness in being happy for my week of annual leave (which started a few hours ago). ;) Genuinely appreciated!
Yes, I definitely plan on taking some more annual leave when I purchase the R5 (though that could be a bit of time away, depending on budget, availability, etc.)

My plan at this stage is to wait till sufficient number of reviews (by both pros and users) indicate what the camera is like
Though I expect that the full announcement of the R5 will give me a strong indication of how likely it is I will buy it. (So far I'm sitting at about 80% sure).

As I have over 30 days of annual leave (and close to 100 days of long service leave) - plus a few days of overtime, I will have plenty of opportunity to take leave when I need to (for the camera, but more importantly to visit my interstate family in some months time, when it works out best for all of us). :giggle:

The great thing is that I have quite some good EF and EF-S glass that will be compatible with the R5, so getting an EF-RF adapter is a plan (or maybe two in the future). I can see me getting the RF 24-105mm f/4 L as my walk around, and potentially the RF 15-35mm f/2.8 L and the RF 100-500mm L further down the path. Too many options, (too little money... lol!)

What are your R5 / and/or future Canon gear plans, if any? :unsure:

Cheers

PJ
Wow! Sounds like you have a very fine position. :)
No R5 plans for me. At least not for a few years. In fact, I have divested myself of all the beautiful RF glass I had. I can always get it again later. Until then, I’ll be a Tamron man. :)

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Canon Japan has a countdown clock, but it is tied to my computer clock and not adjusting for different time zones, so it is way off. Says it will start at 9:00 pm at night on the East Coast...
Well then they still haven’t figured it out or fixed it. Someone explained it after the C300 iii launch, but I don’t remember the coding details etc.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
usually, it takes a long time for Canon prices to drop, so if you want to shoot the camera for say the first year or so, the pre order price is about the same what you pay a year later.
Not always - the EOS R was discounted (10 - 15%) a few months after release and I was happy to take that discount. Having said that, the R5 and R6 are so 'long-awaited', and I suspect the demand will be so high (and potentially the supply limited), that there is likely to be no incentive to discount any-time-soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Not always - the EOS R was discounted (10 - 15%) a few months after release and I was happy to take that discount. Having said that, the R5 and R6 are so 'long-awaited', and I suspect the demand will be so high (and potentially the supply limited), that there is likely to be no incentive to discount any-time-soon.
And the R5 and R6 look like being build around very new technology. The R and RP (and Ra) recycled some aspects of the 5D IV and 6D II respectively. They may not have been rushed, as some people put it. But I suspect they were somewhat exceptional bodies and we may not draw too much insight about future RF products and pricing strategies from them.

Canon seemingly likes to start their new systems of with an initial weird phase and get serious after a while. At least that's the impression I get looking back at the M, M2 and M3 to how far the EF-M system has come with the M50 and M6 II recently.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0