Relaunch of >500mm lenses?

Are there any rumors out there, that Canon is working on new versions of the big white 500 & 600mm lenses?

My husband has been told by Japanese friends that the existing 500mm and 600mm lenses are not optimized for really high MP sensors like the 5Ds. But Canon seems to be working on successors of these lenses.

I follewd the hint of one of the forum readers and bought an used 500mm L IS lens. But I gave it back because the IS had an issue. So I am again looking for an Prime >500mm. Should I wait until X-Mas or buy one now? Could there be an announcement in autumn?

G
Daniela

Mar 25, 2011
The MK II versions were recently released, and almost certainly optimized for digital, and are about as good as a lens gets without doubling or tripling the price. It takes years to pay back the investment in developing and producing these lenses, so it will be a very long time before we see updates.

The thought that lenses need to be optimized for 100MP sensors does not play. When you take a lens, any lens, and put it on a high MP camera, the image suddenly has more resolution. What you do see when you view a high mp image at 100% is any imperfections, and they are all imperfect, its just a matter of how much. Some do not realize that the very air between a lens and a distant subject is often the cause of far more distortion than exists in the lens.

The 800mm lens is one in need of modernizing, and rumors occasionally float up that it will appear. A $17,000 lens does not really excite me, which is probably why we haven't seen it yet.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
I don't see how "not optimized" is possible.

Surely the folks over in the Canon Lens Division know what the folks over in Canon Camera Development are doing, given the life cycles of the products.

If there are "new and improved" versions in the works, the current VII lenses may seem "cheap" in comparison.

Given the steps that need to be taken to optimize output from the 7DII, that Nikon and (probably) the upcoming 50mp Canons, most issues seem to stem from user error, not the lens.

Upvote 0
daniela said:
I follewd the hint of one of the forum readers and bought an used 500mm L IS lens. But I gave it back because the IS had an issue. So I am again looking for an Prime >500mm. Should I wait until X-Mas or buy one now? Could there be an announcement in autumn?

G
Daniela

it sounds like a version 1 500l? from what i understand the iq of the ver1 lenses is about as good as the ver2 ones but canon made improvements to the is, af, min focus, and weight reduction.

i have seen a lot of fantastic images taken with the 500ii. even 100% crops on an aps-c body look good so i don't think it would have any issues on the high mp ff bodies.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
The current Canon Supertelephoto lens lineup is likely the sharpest lenses to be released this decade, or next, and who knows it may take even longer to outperform them.
I would call the Canon's supertelephoto lenses "futureproof" as much as anything (barring the ageing 800mm). My guess is that Canon is going to try to implement Diffractive Optics in version 3 (as seen in the new 400 DO II), which will probably make IQ worse (just a bit, don't worry), but make significant gains in weight and size.

Upvote 0
daniela said:
Are there any rumors out there, that Canon is working on new versions of the big white 500 & 600mm lenses?

My husband has been told by Japanese friends that the existing 500mm and 600mm lenses are not optimized for really high MP sensors like the 5Ds. But Canon seems to be working on successors of these lenses.

G
Daniela

I'm guessing whoever told him that doesn't understand optics at all.

Upvote 0
candc said:
daniela said:

G
Daniela

it sounds like a version 1 500l? from what i understand the iq of the ver1 lenses is about as good as the ver2 ones but canon made improvements to the is, af, min focus, and weight reduction.

i have seen a lot of fantastic images taken with the 500ii. even 100% crops on an aps-c body look good so i don't think it would have any issues on the high mp ff bodies.

The problem of this used lens was an scratching sound when focussing and unsharp pictures when the IS was switched on. So I returend it. Yes, this was an L IS not L IS II

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
daniela said:

G
Daniela

I can not say, if you are right or not, but he works for Nikon and develops lenses. And he was right at rumoring the new Sony 7RII and some other things. In his opinion Canon wants to upgrade the lenses to stellar image qualities for using it on bigger sensors.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
daniela said:
bdunbar79 said:
daniela said:

G
Daniela

I can not say, if you are right or not, but he works for Nikon and develops lenses. And he was right at rumoring the new Sony 7RII and some other things. In his opinion Canon wants to upgrade the lenses to stellar image qualities for using it on bigger sensors.
I can't see a new version of the 500F4.... The MTF curves on that lens are a flat line at the top of the graph. The 600f4 is just about as good.....

What I would expect to see is a 500F5.6 or a 600F5.6..... That might be more likely....

Upvote 0
Nor understand rumors. ;D

bdunbar79 said:
daniela said:

G
Daniela

Upvote 0
daniela said:
Make it simpler for yourself. Dump your Canon system and buy a Nikon. He probably knows what's happening next with Nikon.

Upvote 0
daniela said:

G
Daniela

The 500 f/4L II IS and 600 f/4L II IS lenses are more than capable of resolving all 50 MP's off the 5Ds/r and then some. Since it doesn't exactly work that way I'll just simplify it and say in a photo, you are likely going to get a high percentage of the resolution afforded by the sensor. So in other words they are already optimized for a high resolution sensor.

Upvote 0
dswtan said:
daniela said:
...he works for Nikon and develops lenses.

I don't mean to be sarcastic (there's too much of that here), but you say that and he's trying to throw doubt on his primary competitor's lenses?

Yes, but not to throw some waste or mud on Canon. He just said, that there are internal rumors, that Canon is updating their fast highend primes. So as an hint for me, to check out, if this could be true.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
daniela said:
dswtan said:
daniela said:
...he works for Nikon and develops lenses.

I don't mean to be sarcastic (there's too much of that here), but you say that and he's trying to throw doubt on his primary competitor's lenses?

Yes, but not to throw some waste or mud on Canon. He just said, that there are internal rumors, that Canon is updating their fast highend primes. So as an hint for me, to check out, if this could be true.
It could be as simple as better nano coatings....
The 800F5.6 is overdue for an update...
The 400F5.6 is WAY overdue for an update....
They are doing lots of work on DO lenses.....
There are rumors of a 500F5.6 lens.....

it's almost inconceivable that Canon wouldn't be working on their longer primes.....

Upvote 0
dolina said:
daniela said:
Make it simpler for yourself. Dump your Canon system and buy a Nikon. He probably knows what's happening next with Nikon.

;D This could be a statement from my husband. (He owns a D810, D750 and ´DF and a lot (really a lot) of lenses). And my daughters boyfriend uses Alpha 7II and Alpha 7R with adapters and Zeiss lenses. Only I stay with Canon.
I see the differences in physical image quality (we have superb BIG prints on Acryl and Alu-Dibond in our house), but I have spent a lot of money in Canon too. On the university I used an A1 to take the shots for our campus magazine. So I stayed with Canon. And there is a bit of resilience inside me who lets me think that I can find my own way. I just hope the 5DIV or 6D will be a stellar evolution (like the 7D or my old 1N)

Upvote 0
daniela said:
;D This could be a statement from my husband. (He owns a D810, D750 and ´DF and a lot (really a lot) of lenses). And my daughters boyfriend uses Alpha 7II and Alpha 7R with adapters and Zeiss lenses. Only I stay with Canon.
I see the differences in physical image quality (we have superb BIG prints on Acryl and Alu-Dibond in our house), but I have spent a lot of money in Canon too. On the university I used an A1 to take the shots for our campus magazine. So I stayed with Canon. And there is a bit of resilience inside me who lets me think that I can find my own way. I just hope the 5DIV or 6D will be a stellar evolution (like the 7D or my old 1N)
So he's the guy that bought the Df. On another thread it was used to debunk the assumption that adding video to a camera increases prices. ;D

Interesting that in your household you did not consolidate to a single system. I know of one household who has 90% of the fastest L zooms and primes on offer being used by two people. So no misunderstanding erupts they have a 7D, 7D Mark II, 5D Mark II, 5DS R and 1D MarkIV.

Only lens that they do not have are 11-24, 135, 180 Macro, 600 and 1200.

Upvote 0
Vern said:
600 version one was introduced in 1999
600 version II in 2012
600 version III - ? = not soon.

I'd be excited by a version II 800 mm 5.6 w built in 1.4X (like the 200-400 f4), so rumor me that one please.

Did you perhaps speak to this guy in 2010?

Series III lens will be out mid 2020 and will cost 2x the prevailing price.

800 IS II will be out 2020 and will cost 2x the prevailing price.

Upvote 0