Repair status info

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
chauncey said:
I would like to know why we are not able to directly communicate with the Canon Repair centers,
either in NJ or CA, to check status of repairs and why we must pay up front.
I know of no other product that has that requirement.

I had to pay up fron to get my Sigma lens repaired.

I run a small business, and often hear from a person on Sunday asking why they had not received a product they paid for Friday afternoon! It costs money to look up and answer questions like this. Of course, they remember having paid several days ago.

They should, however, at the very minimum, have a online status. They should be barcoding a received item, entering it into their system, and posting at least a general status(received, in work, completed, etc). However, I do not think we could expect to stop a technician who is likely repairing a lens and at a critical step and ask about what he found wrong with a product.

I do agree that it might actually be a good thing to be able to do this, but Canon does not to seem to be very progressive that way, and from what I have heard, neither are the others.

My son's xbox needed repair, and I received prompt e-mails every step of the way, it was a suprisingly good experience, so at least on a high level, it can be done.

We still do have a few local camera repair shops where you can ask the guy who does the repairs just what was wrong, but if its very involved, he ships it to Canon and its in a black hole.

Upvote 0
chauncey said:
I would like to know why we are not able to directly communicate with the Canon Repair centers,

I dont know about regular situations, however with CPS through canon, you are given the emails and phone numbers to both the irvine and NJ centers as well as they email you a repair status verification upon receipt of the start of the repair and the completion of the repair. We have to pre-pay (preauthorize a certain amount if applicable) for repairs.

Upvote 0
I have no experience of the Canon repair centres outside the UK, but here in Southern England the information handed out before, during and after is NIL. Well, not quite nil, because when my 24-70L went into intensive care they did produce a repair quote, but in my case this did not explain what they proposed to do.

It struck me at the time that they do this on purpose so that the (obviously) fretting customer is not encouraged to bother them. Then they are able to concentrate on doing good work in a cost effective environment. Certainly I cannot fault the repair work they did.

Contrast this with a Coolscan VED I sent back (several times) to Nikon. Nikon were extremely helpful, open and went out of their way to explain what they were doing. I felt I was among friends. The problem was they were not nailing down the issue, so by the end, only the optics and the case were original.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
awinphoto said:
chauncey said:

I dont know about regular situations, however with CPS through canon, you are given the emails and phone numbers to both the irvine and NJ centers as well as they email you a repair status verification upon receipt of the start of the repair and the completion of the repair. We have to pre-pay (preauthorize a certain amount if applicable) for repairs.

I've only ever had one lens repaired, at Irvine, and I had the lens back in about two weeks. A couple of weeks later, I received e-mails saying they had received it(the first repair job), and the next day one saying it was on its way back.

Then, I returned it because the AF was so bad, I could see it in the lcd as being blurred. I did not receive any acknowledgement of the second repair at all. I've seen other posts from those with a similar experience.

It was perfect after the second repair though.

I have since joined CPS, but so far, I've had no repairs. iIm thinking of sending in my 35mm L, AF is off by +17 on my 1D MK III, but it is so sharp after MA and i don't want to risk getting it messed up.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I sent in my 5d2 and 24-105 for cleaning this last week to Canon's Service facility in Irvine, CA. My camera/lens arrived via UPS at canon Wednesday March 8th, and I got an email, 2 emails from them later that day saying they got the products, it included a PDF entailing the repair ID, description on services being preformed and estimated costs, if any, for doing such repairs. Both mine included warranty cleanings (a tiny spec of dust in the elements of the lens and dust behind the tft glass of the rear LCD... Ok yeah I live in a desert region. They also included standard overnight shipping in my invoice for free. For what it's worth, for those wanting to get in communication with the factory, the email that sent the confirmations to me was [email protected] and Canons number is 1-800-OK-CANON. Hope this helps for anyone having problems with repairs at canon.

Upvote 0