Replacement for SD1400 IS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qwasty

Is there an SD1500 IS coming soon? It would be nice to have some better photo quality, with larger pixels and lower 5 to 10 megapixel resolution. Right now, the older SD940 has better photo quality, and the even older SD780 has better macro quality. See for yourself, the old SD780 macro beats the G11 when you compare the macro photos side by side:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

K

kxx1

I'm wondering about the same thing too. I'm trying to decide whether I should get a SD940 or wait for the SD1400 replacement. But I'm not sure there will be one anytime soon. SD780, 940 and 1400 came out within about 6 months of each other (Feb. '09 - Sept. '09 - and Feb. '10). Going by this trend, I was really hoping for an update this month, but it doesn't look like it.

imho, they really need to hit the low light capable ultracompact market. Currently, Sony tx1 is the only player, and it's good, but not that good. Canon can do better (duh).

I would like to see:
- backside-illuminated CMOS at 10MP max.
- slightly faster lens, maybe by half a stop or so (f2.4)
- in a SD940 body. not a big fan of SD1400's thinner, but longer body.

That would make it an ultracompact that can actually take decent low light pictures.

Upvote 0
Q

qwasty

Check out this macro photo from the SD940:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=834.msg2193#msg2193

As a demonstration of how nice the macro photos are with the SD940, check out these photos of the same coin photographed through loupes:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=934.0

The macro photo is as good or better than what you would see with your own eye by looking through a loupe with professional quality optics.

It's tough to beat the SD940. It does pretty much everything reasonably well, and a few things much better than vastly bulkier and more expensive competitors. The SD940 is a winner, superior to even its replacement, the SD1400.

I would like to see those features in the SD940's form factor, but I'm afraid it might be just a fantasy for now. I actually think I might like thinner, since it makes it more "pocketable", but I'm happy with the current thicker design. Making it thinner probably sacrifices more than it's worth.

Upvote 0
V

varonicadavis

If you want to replace your SD 1400 IS than Canon SX210IS is the best camera for you. In video mode, the exposure shifts in steps rather than gradual transitions. In other words, the exposure could be good for a particular scene and as it transitions to a different lighting scenario the exposure clicks to the proper exposure.The long end of the zoom is equally amazing. The image stabilization seems as good as Nikon's VR system.

Upvote 0
V

varonicadavis

If you are looking for replace ment camera of Canon PowerShot SD1400IS than My recommendation is Canon PowerShot SX210IS camera to you.
-The camera can record 2 FPS in continuous mode.
- camera record action sequences photos.
- This Canon camera can continuously focus the image rather than having to press the button halfway to activate focus.
-It shoots 720p movies.
-camera automatically takes the picture when either a smile is detected, a new face is detected, or 2 seconds after a wink is detected.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.