Report: The next EOS R camera is reported to be undergoing field testing [CR1]

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
=
I doubt Canon has figured a way to make a 70+MP with DPAF and 1D X performance so what professional is this for?
Landscape, architecture, fashion, product photography.

Ok sure they finally put the dual card slots but do wedding photogs want 70MP shots (let alone low light performance)?
Low light will be as good as anything else out there. The lower resolution = better low light performance is a myth for stills (though not for video). At 70mp this thing would probably have a 35-40mp MRAW mode so a wedding photographer could shoot 70mp still and posed shots and 35mp for everything else to manage file sizes.

Wildlife shooters would like that res for cropping but if it's no better performance than the EOS R then that's a bust.
A good friend of mine specializes in wildlife photography and has great work. He's never much cared for fps and once told me 4-5 fps is all you really need. I'm not going to completely discount higher frame rates for wildlife and sports, but I also can't find any issue with his work, so....

Pape

EOS RP
Dec 31, 2018
I dont like shoot blind after couple shoot i wait viewfinder lag ends and recompose pic . They need get lag away before can increase fps

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The big one is continuous auto focus speed, the EOS R is slower. Also, the intervalometer.
I'll give you that. For this 70mp beast to be good for wildlife they will probably have to improve DPAF continuous AF performance.

Mirrorless is clearly better when it comes to subject recognition tracking, but having had my hands on an A9 (a friend has one) my preliminary judgement is that DSLR off-mirror PDAF still dominates for AF tracking speed if you can keep an AF point on the target.

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Yes skill is better than specs but the EOS R is 3fps in continuous at best. There is a reason why the 1d x isn't a 50MP camera.
The R is limited by DPAF processing, not MP. The 5Ds does 5 fps with tracking and the 5D IV does 7.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
I meant advancing it so they can manage to get FF 4K video and higher frame rates out of it- something some of their competitors have managed to do.
To downsample it to 4k I think is a CPU problem: may need two DIGIC 8's or a DIGIC... 9?

Higher frame rates: I don't know enough to know if this requires a sensor upgrade or again is a CPU problem.

However there are ZILLIONS of things I'd like the camera to do that probably don't need any sensor upgrade at all.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
It would be fantastic if it could be switched between a 75mpx FF and 30mpx crop in true RAW,
What would be more fantastic is if it had a shorter flange distance than the EF-M system, so you could then mount EF-M lenses on it for such shooting. (EF-M film-flange distance is 18mm. RF is 20mm. Other makes are as short as 16mm. I see no technical advantage to 20mm. It'd be nice to use EF-M lenses instead of EF-S lenses on the R because they aren't retrofocus designs. EF-S lenses, like EF, are compromised to make room for the mirror. EF-M and RF aren't.)

If I had to point to one decision by Canon that was most likely to have me switch from EF to Sony, it would have been the 20mm flange distance.

takesome1

EOS 5Ds R II
Aug 23, 2013
It would be fantastic if it could be switched between a 75mpx FF and 30mpx crop in true RAW, especially if there were higher fps in crop mode. Then, I could use the in-camera crop mode when I would normally have to crop in FF and have RAW files 60% small than FF. I'd preorder.
I had this fantasy when the 5Ds R was released. If we do not hope we will not be disappointed.

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
Ok sure they finally put the dual card slots
Patience, mrav! They've introduced two bodies in four months and anything up to ten native lenses in the first year and a bit.

This is just like the EF rollout. No point rolling out the high-end pro body until you have enough lenses that a pro would use it.

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
I think the majority would agree with you, many would like a 5DIV equiv. All the things the 5D has (that the EOS R is missing) and all the new stuff the EOS R brought (EVF, edge to edge auto focus etc). If they had done that and a small bump in MP, that would have been an amazing all around pro camera. But they obviously don't want any overlap to kill the sales on existing dslr cameras which is a super frustrating strategy for existing Canon users.
Might frustrate you. I am content. I'm an existing Canon user who'll be deciding on a new body in the next year or two. I shoot portraits and fashion. I can see how a high MP camera would help me in a big way. It isn't just for wildlife folks.

rrcphoto

EOS 5D MK IV
Jun 20, 2013
I doubt Canon has figured a way to make a 70+MP with DPAF and 1D X performance so what professional is this for? Ok sure they finally put the dual card slots but do wedding photogs want 70MP shots (let alone low light performance)? Wildlife shooters would like that res for cropping but if it's no better performance than the EOS R then that's a bust. The performance on this camera will determine everything I think but I doubt Canon has found a way to go from 30-70MP and increase the performance (speed, low light etc) so quickly to top what's in the EOS R already. So unless they did find a way to boost performance, while keeping image IQ, then the only people who would like this camera are people who want all those pixels but I think that is a minority of photographers.
you pigeon holed it into every category except the ones in which the camera would be tailored for. Think studio, fashion, landscape.

Reactions: Dantana

ColinJR

I'm New Here
Nov 27, 2018
robertsonrep.com
At 70mp, I would hope for a binned 35mp mode that provided better noise (and low light?) performance. Still plenty of resolution for most scenarios. But yeah, as an owner of an EOS R, I'm really hoping for a few things in a camera like this—the return of 5D/7D ergonomics (a few more CF buttons and a joystick), dual card slots, and better rendering.

On the last point, it's hard to describe, but the R's files have a tendency to look "crunchy" and not all that pleasing right out of camera. It seems like I have to massage them a lot more in post to get good results. This is compared to my original 7D and my Fujifilm X-E3. I don't know if it's just the way the camera processes the files or if it's a sensor thing or what, but the color and contrast seem off—not enough color saturation, too much contrast. I end up trying different camera profiles in LR and can usually get good results, but the files are always a bit 'meh' out of camera. Anyone else?

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
  • Body which is better than or on par with a7riii, with IBIS, eye-auto-focus, etc.
  • RF 85mm F1.2, with RF native design and similar IQ as RF 50mm F1.2. Otherwise will take the later one.
  • RF 16-21 F1.4 as rumored.
My dream team.

Last edited:
Reactions: stochasticmotions

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
Might frustrate you. I am content. I'm an existing Canon user who'll be deciding on a new body in the next year or two. I shoot portraits and fashion. I can see how a high MP camera would help me in a big way. It isn't just for wildlife folks.
The more who want it the better!

Reactions: CanonFanBoy

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
yes and the new camera will have DPAF. Additionally you do need more processing power to handle the extra pixels. The 5dIV wouldn't be doing 7fps if it was 70MP. The new processors can handle more but I'd be surprised if they can bump this 70MP beast up from the 3fps the R gets.
It will depend to a large extent on how many of the dual pixels they use for AF.

QuisUtDeus

EOS 80D
Feb 20, 2019
Precisely what 5D things do you want?
I ain't him, but I'd like a joystick, dual slots (ideally, though it's not as big a deal to me as some), in-body charging, tilty-flippy, DPAF, wifi, and shorter EVF freeze. And 30mpx is fine. It's more than fine. I don't even list the resolution of my 5D3 as an issue, and I don't want to deal with those file sizes. I'd rather have a higher framerate.

If this is the "5RS" I hope there's a plain "5R" coming as well at some point.

Reactions: Michael Clark

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
On the last point, it's hard to describe, but the R's files have a tendency to look "crunchy" and not all that pleasing right out of camera. It seems like I have to massage them a lot more in post to get good results. This is compared to my original 7D and my Fujifilm X-E3. I don't know if it's just the way the camera processes the files or if it's a sensor thing or what, but the color and contrast seem off—not enough color saturation, too much contrast. I end up trying different camera profiles in LR and can usually get good results, but the files are always a bit 'meh' out of camera. Anyone else?
I don't know if this is relevant but I hated Adobe's profiles for the 5Ds and got the Huelight profiles which I love. Crushed shadow tonality was one problem with the Adobe profiles. I knew this before I bought the 5Ds from test files I had processed.

My first question would be if you have the same experience using DPP? I want to use ACR for the features and detail recovery but had to get away from the included profiles.

Reactions: Michael Clark