Report: The next EOS R camera is reported to be undergoing field testing [CR1]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Other than for the thrill of it, do we really need to go to 70 now? I don’t think so.

Keep in mind that the now 3+ years old 80D sensor already scales out to almost 62 mp. Not arguing the need, just pointing out that 70mp is not that much of a leap.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The big one is continuous auto focus speed, the EOS R is slower. Also, the intervalometer.

I'll give you that. For this 70mp beast to be good for wildlife they will probably have to improve DPAF continuous AF performance.

Mirrorless is clearly better when it comes to subject recognition tracking, but having had my hands on an A9 (a friend has one) my preliminary judgement is that DSLR off-mirror PDAF still dominates for AF tracking speed if you can keep an AF point on the target.

Upvote 0
It would be fantastic if it could be switched between a 75mpx FF and 30mpx crop in true RAW, especially if there were higher fps in crop mode. Then, I could use the in-camera crop mode when I would normally have to crop in FF and have RAW files 60% small than FF. I'd preorder.

I had this fantasy when the 5Ds R was released. If we do not hope we will not be disappointed.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think the majority would agree with you, many would like a 5DIV equiv. All the things the 5D has (that the EOS R is missing) and all the new stuff the EOS R brought (EVF, edge to edge auto focus etc). If they had done that and a small bump in MP, that would have been an amazing all around pro camera. But they obviously don't want any overlap to kill the sales on existing dslr cameras which is a super frustrating strategy for existing Canon users.
Might frustrate you. I am content. I'm an existing Canon user who'll be deciding on a new body in the next year or two. I shoot portraits and fashion. I can see how a high MP camera would help me in a big way. It isn't just for wildlife folks.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I doubt Canon has figured a way to make a 70+MP with DPAF and 1D X performance so what professional is this for? Ok sure they finally put the dual card slots but do wedding photogs want 70MP shots (let alone low light performance)? Wildlife shooters would like that res for cropping but if it's no better performance than the EOS R then that's a bust. The performance on this camera will determine everything I think but I doubt Canon has found a way to go from 30-70MP and increase the performance (speed, low light etc) so quickly to top what's in the EOS R already. So unless they did find a way to boost performance, while keeping image IQ, then the only people who would like this camera are people who want all those pixels but I think that is a minority of photographers.
you pigeon holed it into every category except the ones in which the camera would be tailored for. Think studio, fashion, landscape.

Upvote 0
At 70mp, I would hope for a binned 35mp mode that provided better noise (and low light?) performance. Still plenty of resolution for most scenarios. But yeah, as an owner of an EOS R, I'm really hoping for a few things in a camera like this—the return of 5D/7D ergonomics (a few more CF buttons and a joystick), dual card slots, and better rendering.

On the last point, it's hard to describe, but the R's files have a tendency to look "crunchy" and not all that pleasing right out of camera. It seems like I have to massage them a lot more in post to get good results. This is compared to my original 7D and my Fujifilm X-E3. I don't know if it's just the way the camera processes the files or if it's a sensor thing or what, but the color and contrast seem off—not enough color saturation, too much contrast. I end up trying different camera profiles in LR and can usually get good results, but the files are always a bit 'meh' out of camera. Anyone else?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Might frustrate you. I am content. I'm an existing Canon user who'll be deciding on a new body in the next year or two. I shoot portraits and fashion. I can see how a high MP camera would help me in a big way. It isn't just for wildlife folks.
The more who want it the better!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
yes and the new camera will have DPAF. Additionally you do need more processing power to handle the extra pixels. The 5dIV wouldn't be doing 7fps if it was 70MP. The new processors can handle more but I'd be surprised if they can bump this 70MP beast up from the 3fps the R gets.
It will depend to a large extent on how many of the dual pixels they use for AF.

Upvote 0
Precisely what 5D things do you want?

I ain't him, but I'd like a joystick, dual slots (ideally, though it's not as big a deal to me as some), in-body charging, tilty-flippy, DPAF, wifi, and shorter EVF freeze. And 30mpx is fine. It's more than fine. I don't even list the resolution of my 5D3 as an issue, and I don't want to deal with those file sizes. I'd rather have a higher framerate.

If this is the "5RS" I hope there's a plain "5R" coming as well at some point.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
On the last point, it's hard to describe, but the R's files have a tendency to look "crunchy" and not all that pleasing right out of camera. It seems like I have to massage them a lot more in post to get good results. This is compared to my original 7D and my Fujifilm X-E3. I don't know if it's just the way the camera processes the files or if it's a sensor thing or what, but the color and contrast seem off—not enough color saturation, too much contrast. I end up trying different camera profiles in LR and can usually get good results, but the files are always a bit 'meh' out of camera. Anyone else?

I don't know if this is relevant but I hated Adobe's profiles for the 5Ds and got the Huelight profiles which I love. Crushed shadow tonality was one problem with the Adobe profiles. I knew this before I bought the 5Ds from test files I had processed.

My first question would be if you have the same experience using DPP? I want to use ACR for the features and detail recovery but had to get away from the included profiles.

Upvote 0
If it's all true, it'll likely be my next Canon unless this sensor has DR worse than 5DIV. With 75mp sensor, it'd be a killer feature if there's a lower-res and higher-DR low light mode. Say a 16mp mode.

That would likely be the case, the new IMX555CQR from Sony Semiconductor is around 100 megapixel, but it appears to have a mode of around 24 megapixels that'll have a better SNR than the AS7 II. I'm excited for high megapixel cameras(even as someone who shoots mostly video), the result will be better color data. And for video, those high megapixel cameras will be capable of true 4:4:4 4K video.

Upvote 0
To stay competitive and remain first in class with imaging technology. Remember, their tagline is "See Impossible." That slogan doesn't work if they don't advance their tech. ;)

I always thought that tagline was a typical sort of mistake made by a Japanese conglomerate. Worked for a couple in my time. Once branding agencies get in their heads, odd things happen. You can read that as "See? Impossible!" Because it doesn't have punctuation in the real tagline, it invites different readings from different people. Similar to the North Carolina license plate tagline "first in flight." As a kid I always thought that referred to a retreat in the Civil War, which definitely is not what they meant.

Perhaps we can come up with some better taglines for Canon. On second thought, maybe the forum wouldn't be such a good place for that. "Canon has 56 percent share, so buzz off" has a certain ring of truth, but it wouldn't test well.

• Haha
Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
I guess this is the next camera for me. Dual card slots (hopefully and better be UHS-2, better if both the same, no CF plz!) and joystick (im old school - M5 touch and drag focus is alright but faster with joystick), and I wouldn't bash the increase in MP. I'll find a way to work around it if need be. DPAF IBIS and 4K is all an upgrade for me so I ain't complaining! I did so 4K on my mark 3 with magic lantern before.. I think it was like 10 fps but the quality is quite amazing. :) I am definitely ready to hit the preorders if these are in fact the specs. Canon, you're allowed to wow me like you did with my mark 3. :cool:

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I am SO excited for this!
Even more for the 1DX III!!!
All I want is a more efficient Codec and I am sold. The 1DX II is pretty much perfect, except for this insane inefficient codec.
A higher resolution, less loud shutter and maybe 4k without the 1,3 crop and I would be totaly in love =)

A high resolution EOS R sounds very realistic - I think the new RF Lenses are incredible and easily build for a 70mp body.

Upvote 0