Report: The next EOS R camera is reported to be undergoing field testing [CR1]

Perhaps we can come up with some better taglines for Canon. On second thought, maybe the forum wouldn't be such a good place for that. "Canon has 56 percent share, so buzz off" has a certain ring of truth, but it wouldn't test well.

"Canon: Blame your skills, not your tools."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I'll give you that. For this 70mp beast to be good for wildlife they will probably have to improve DPAF continuous AF performance.

Mirrorless is clearly better when it comes to subject recognition tracking, but having had my hands on an A9 (a friend has one) my preliminary judgement is that DSLR off-mirror PDAF still dominates for AF tracking speed if you can keep an AF point on the target.

I know what you're trying to say about the A9, but what was interesting to me about it is this. I rented one for a week. I actually shot photos at a couple of junior high volleyball games. Being able to pick a small region and have it prioritize face/eye tracking in that region upped my "keeper/possible" percentage tremendously. Granted, I had "Sony Claw" after the games due to the ergonomics, but the files seemed to process fairly well for high ISO.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I am SO excited for this!
Even more for the 1DX III!!!
All I want is a more efficient Codec and I am sold. The 1DX II is pretty much perfect, except for this insane inefficient codec.
A higher resolution, less loud shutter and maybe 4k without the 1,3 crop and I would be totaly in love =)

seriously. this isn't going to happen. this isn't a video camera.

why do people want to demand high end video features into a camera that is clearly 200% geared to stills?
Canon will most likely do a all rounder camera with good video and medium resolution stills, heck, they even basically stated they will in interviews. this isn't it.

if this camera comes out in the fall it will:
  • not have IBIS.
  • won't have high end Video and if it has 4K video it will be a horrendous crop factor
  • it will be slow as snails unless there's dual DIGIC 8's in it. and if it has dual DIGIC 8's . the battery life will be pathetic. worse than the EOS R if it uses an LP-E6
It's nice to dream and then there's what Canon has shown us, Canon needs a fair amount of time and money to up their game with sensor and DIGIC hardware (and it's too early for DIGIC 9) to have this already in the pipeline and coming out in the fall. It doesn't matter if Sony, Nikon or whoever else can do it, Canon cannot. Not right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
seriously. this isn't going to happen. this isn't a video camera.

why do people want to demand high end video features into a camera that is clearly 200% geared to stills?
Canon will most likely do a all rounder camera with good video and medium resolution stills, heck, they even basically stated they will in interviews. this isn't it.

if this camera comes out in the fall it will:
  • not have IBIS.
  • won't have high end Video and if it has 4K video it will be a horrendous crop factor
  • it will be slow as snails unless there's dual DIGIC 8's in it. and if it has dual DIGIC 8's . the battery life will be pathetic. worse than the EOS R if it uses an LP-E6
It's nice to dream and then there's the reality, Canon needs a fair amount of time and money to up their game with sensor and DIGIC hardware (and it's too early for DIGIC 9) to have this already in the pipeline and coming out in the fall. It doesn't matter if Sony, Nikon or whoever else can do it, Canon cannot. Not right now.
???
Are you talking about the EOS R II or the 1DX III?
The 1DX II is a tremendous video camera. There is pretty much only one problem with it, and that is the MJPEG codec (and maybe the missing 4k on hdmi out).
There is a 99% certainty that they will include another codec for 4k. there is simply no reason not to do it. And the reason they got not 4k hdmi out on the 1DX II was probably because the HDMI 2.0 specification where too late. 2020 there is NO reason not to include it.

If you talk about the EOS R II - you are probably correct.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
???
Are you talking about the EOS R II or the 1DX III?
The 1DX II is a tremendous video camera. There is pretty much only one problem with it, and that is the MJPEG codec (and maybe the missing 4k on hdmi out).
There is a 99% certainty that they will include another codec for 4k. there is simply no reason not to do it. And the reason they got not 4k hdmi out on the 1DX II was probably because the HDMI 2.0 specification where too late. 2020 there is NO reason not to include it.

If you talk about the EOS R II - you are probably correct.
you're right .. I'm sorry I didn't catch the III!!! it looked like two I's. I assumed you were talking about the EOS R(s) which was the original post. most of the post was in response to other posts through the first 3 pages though.

the 1DX Mark III would certainly have h.264, and yeah, I would imagine it will have great video. The lack of h.264 (or 5) and HDMI out was a DIGIC problem that DIGIC 8 fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the first oversampled 4K video in that from Canon. They already can do it, just not yet in an ILC form factor.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I know what you're trying to say about the A9, but what was interesting to me about it is this. I rented one for a week. I actually shot photos at a couple of junior high volleyball games. Being able to pick a small region and have it prioritize face/eye tracking in that region upped my "keeper/possible" percentage tremendously. Granted, I had "Sony Claw" after the games due to the ergonomics, but the files seemed to process fairly well for high ISO.

I definitely need more stick time on my friend's A9 before I can fully judge its AF performance. And I do not want it to seem like I'm hand waving AI subject tracking. I'm certain it can increase keeper rates in certain situations.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is relevant but I hated Adobe's profiles for the 5Ds and got the Huelight profiles which I love. Crushed shadow tonality was one problem with the Adobe profiles. I knew this before I bought the 5Ds from test files I had processed.

My first question would be if you have the same experience using DPP? I want to use ACR for the features and detail recovery but had to get away from the included profiles.

Interesting... I haven't really tried DPP. I'll give that a shot and look into these huelight profiles.

Upvote 0
Canon dominates the ILC market, and has for 16 years and counting. They've had ~50% market share for the past decade, and have that today. Please remind us all why they need to deliver 'some real sensor technology changes'. Note: "Because I wants it, Precious," is not a reason.

Neuro, you are sounding like a broken record with your constant "Canon dominate the ILC market" rumblings. What does have the market domination in common with the technology advancements? Please go and buy your next 6DII or EOR RP if you wish so, I will gladly pass on, so there is a better chance one is left for you in the store :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Neuro, you are sounding like a broken record with your constant "Canon dominate the ILC market" rumblings. What does have the market domination in common with the technology advancements? Please go and buy your next 6DII or EOR RP if you wish so, I will gladly pass on, so there is a better chance one is left for you in the store :)
As usual, you miss the point...either through intentional obtuseness or inability to comprehend. You’re the one who claimed that Canon is ‘buying time to bring real sensor technology changes’. Given the common DRumbeat on these forums that Canon’s sensors have been ‘behind’ for many years, and the fact that they haven’t lost any market share, I asked you to explain why Canon needs to ‘bring real sensor technology changes’. Clearly you had no cogent response, so you went with snark instead. Sad.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

You used the "old Canon sensor" meme in reference to a rumored completely new sensor, and you are accusing Neuro of being a broken record?

Really???

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
What would be more fantastic is if it had a shorter flange distance than the EF-M system, so you could then mount EF-M lenses on it for such shooting. (EF-M film-flange distance is 18mm. RF is 20mm. Other makes are as short as 16mm. I see no technical advantage to 20mm. It'd be nice to use EF-M lenses instead of EF-S lenses on the R because they aren't retrofocus designs. EF-S lenses, like EF, are compromised to make room for the mirror. EF-M and RF aren't.)

If I had to point to one decision by Canon that was most likely to have me switch from EF to Sony, it would have been the 20mm flange distance.
I think it is possible that the 20mm flange distance was selected to create space in the body for future iterations of the electronics. E.G. FF 4K would generate a lot of heat. A thicker body could hold a larger heat sink or other strategies for dissipating heat. It could also house larger, more powerful processors for high rate FPS of high MP sensors. IBIS also takes room. IMO a larger area to incorporate it may allow them a more ambitious and effective design.
I think they though about the future a lot with this platform and tried to think of as many possibilities to avoid what they see is an increasingly difficult environment for expensive re-vamps of ILC lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Yesterday I had a job photographing a landscape scene at dawn for a book. I was using my 5DsR, 70-200 2.8L and a Gitzo tripod heavier than a Buick.

Shooting at 4 seconds I was noticing that the image wasn't quite as sharp as I felt it should be. After a few face slaps to wake me up I realized I wasn't shooting with mirror lockup. I switched to Live View and the images were razor sharp. The 5Dmk4 does Live View quite well while the DsR is slow-ish. The R just has no issues at all with vibration. For me if the next body is the high res version I will be on board.
Frame rate is irrelevant for this body. The subjects that demand sharp, high res images are those that can stand a more deliberate pace of photography.
Landscape scarcely needs more than 1 FPS, Fashion is regularly shot with MF cameras that poke along at 1FPS. Product? If your product is a bag of kittens maybe so.
As for the quality of the sensor, I am confident that Canon will match or exceed the current mk4 sensor. Despite the detractors, the putative shortcomings are largely invisible if one is in control of their craft. And when the differences are visible, your images are still dead. The only difference is the slightly prettier corpse of the competition.

Yeah, 2 card slots please. CF doesn't stink but I suppose I could live with SD. Also a larger EVF. I want a Cinerama (with a better eyecup) on the top please.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I definitely need more stick time on my friend's A9 before I can fully judge its AF performance. And I do not want it to seem like I'm hand waving AI subject tracking. I'm certain it can increase keeper rates in certain situations.
Oh, I definitely agree. There were plenty of times I was frustrated as it wasn't doing what I wanted and I couldn't get it to focus where I wanted it to without choosing spot. I don't know if it was me, or just the way it was programmed.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
you're right .. I'm sorry I didn't catch the III!!! it looked like two I's. I assumed you were talking about the EOS R(s) which was the original post. most of the post was in response to other posts through the first 3 pages though.

the 1DX Mark III would certainly have h.264, and yeah, I would imagine it will have great video. The lack of h.264 (or 5) and HDMI out was a DIGIC problem that DIGIC 8 fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the first oversampled 4K video in that from Canon. They already can do it, just not yet in an ILC form factor.
Jeah, its gonna be a realy exciting camera :) looking forward to it. I love the image from the 1DX II, but the codec is realy a hassle. It can be edited easily in Premiere, but there is pretty much no videoplayer that can replay it fluently, which is annoying.

The EOS R II (or however they will call it) with a higher MPixel count will likely be only good for photo. I cant imagine they gonna figure out how to read this sensor out and transfer it to a good video image. However, for wedding, fashion, products this will be a enormous advantage in my opinion :)

Upvote 0