Report: The next EOS R camera is reported to be undergoing field testing [CR1]

Dec 31, 2018
i believe i use both eyes ,but after 2 first shot flying bird seems to wander edge of frame ,cant compose with left eye :)
maybe my hands just not steady enough to follow steady
Or pressing shutter makes camera wobble so only first one is good centered.
To be really amazing action camera ,mirrorless should have one processor what only job is make viewfinder roll good so never any lag. i would like that more than higher fp speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
How are they going to get rid of the heat from all of that processing? Where are they going to get the energy for more than 100-200 frames per battery?
I suspect that it is going to be a 1DX2 size body. Have you seen the latest Olympus? It’s huge for a 4/3 camera! I think that a “pro” mirrorless is going to be a large camera.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As usual, you miss the point...either through intentional obtuseness or inability to comprehend. You’re the one who claimed that Canon is ‘buying time to bring real sensor technology changes’. Given the common DRumbeat on these forums that Canon’s sensors have been ‘behind’ for many years, and the fact that they haven’t lost any market share, I asked you to explain why Canon needs to ‘bring real sensor technology changes’. Clearly you had no cogent response, so you went with snark instead. Sad.

What do you really want me to say here? Once I am considering to buy some product, I rarely care about company's market share. Well - kind of anywy - would not buy from a potentially bancrupt one, risking some warranty issues, etc. So we've been waiting for the 6DII. And I did not like its featureset - from sensor, to dumbing down simple stuff like phone output, present on 80D, etc. What you call a DRumbeat, we felt as an important aspect for our flash-less wedding in-church shooting. So my question is - do you, in any situation, allow a customer to just say - no? Or should we buy anything Canon just throws at us?

So the story continued for us - saved a bit more (and remember, in some countries, you charge something like 300-500 for a wedding shoot), and went with the 5DIV, as we felt it will have some longer term lifespan for us. Then the R came. Generally, I like the concept very much. But so far, even when I thought we could buy it as a secondary body, I just said - not yet. R - 5DIV sensor, we've already got. RP - 6DII sensor, we don't want. So the next step from Canon I have expected, is some higher res body. Packing more pixels onboard does not necessarily mean the whole ecosystem upgrade - DR, IBIS, DPAF speed, etc.

So once again - we have the right to sit and wait. The next product for us is the 5DIV replacement in an R body. In the meantime we have bought Canon Image Prograf 1000 for in-house up to A2 printing. Thinking to buy M5 or M6 replacement, just for an amusement. But - once again versed (not necessarily negative) about the M vs R mount situation - no upgrade path apart from EF mount.

So, yes - Canon either surprises us with new sensor tech, or what we are going to see is mostly refurbished 5DS(R) sensor, along with awful tracking speed, etc. My guess is based upon what we've got with R and RP, thinking Canon needs more time to come-up with more general advancements. And I think it is going to be available with the 5DIV replacement. If it comes sooner, well then, will wait for the lower res version anyway - we don't need/want 70mpix anyway.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What do you really want me to say here? Once I am considering to buy some product, I rarely care about company's market share. Well - kind of anywy - would not buy from a potentially bancrupt one, risking some warranty issues, etc. So we've been waiting for the 6DII. And I did not like its featureset - from sensor, to dumbing down simple stuff like phone output, present on 80D, etc. What you call a DRumbeat, we felt as an important aspect for our flash-less wedding in-church shooting. So my question is - do you, in any situation, allow a customer to just say - no? Or should we buy anything Canon just throws at us?

So the story continued for us - saved a bit more (and remember, in some countries, you charge something like 300-500 for a wedding shoot), and went with the 5DIV, as we felt it will have some longer term lifespan for us. Then the R came. Generally, I like the concept very much. But so far, even when I thought we could buy it as a secondary body, I just said - not yet. R - 5DIV sensor, we've already got. RP - 6DII sensor, we don't want. So the next step from Canon I have expected, is some higher res body. Packing more pixels onboard does not necessarily mean the whole ecosystem upgrade - DR, IBIS, DPAF speed, etc.

So once again - we have the right to sit and wait. The next product for us is the 5DIV replacement in an R body. In the meantime we have bought Canon Image Prograf 1000 for in-house up to A2 printing. Thinking to buy M5 or M6 replacement, just for an amusement. But - once again versed (not necessarily negative) about the M vs R mount situation - no upgrade path apart from EF mount.

So, yes - Canon either surprises us with new sensor tech, or what we are going to see is mostly refurbished 5DS(R) sensor, along with awful tracking speed, etc. My guess is based upon what we've got with R and RP, thinking Canon needs more time to come-up with more general advancements. And I think it is going to be available with the 5DIV replacement. If it comes sooner, well then, will wait for the lower res version anyway - we don't need/want 70mpix anyway.
You can say and whatever you want. Buy...don’t buy. Complain on a forum. Canon doesn’t care. Their maintained ~50% market share says they continue to make decisions approved by the majority of ILC buyers. (Oh, and as for bankrupt companies, Samsung certainly isn’t one...but where is the NX series now? :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Personally, I think that sit and wait is a fine option. If what you have does the job and there is no compelling “killer feature “ that you need, why not wait? Myself, I have yet to upgrade to the next model, I tend to skip versions. I think that the R series has great potential, but will not jump until I see a significant improvement over what I have.

Everyone is speculating about the future, but nobody knows what it will be except Canon, and they are not talking.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Personally, I think that sit and wait is a fine option. If what you have does the job and there is no compelling “killer feature “ that you need, why not wait? Myself, I have yet to upgrade to the next model, I tend to skip versions. I think that the R series has great potential, but will not jump until I see a significant improvement over what I have.
Waiting is perfectly fine. I see no need to get the 1D X II, my 1D X meets my needs just fine. I did get an EOS R because it was a significant improvement in certain ways over my current gear:
  • Much smaller than my 1D X
  • FF sensor which my M6 lacks
  • Ability to easily use an ND filter (adapter) with my TS-E 17 and 11-24 which are very challenging to front-filter
My main use for the EOS R will be travel.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Waiting is perfectly fine. I see no need to get the 1D X II, my 1D X meets my needs just fine. I did get an EOS R because it was a significant improvement in certain ways over my current gear:
  • Much smaller than my 1D X
  • FF sensor which my M6 lacks
  • Ability to easily use an ND filter (adapter) with my TS-E 17 and 11-24 which are very challenging to front-filter
My main use for the EOS R will be travel.
I am thinking about the R for travel too. So far, I don't see any lenses that strike my fancy, but the 24-105 comes close... At the moment there is not enough lens selection for me so it would end up with an adaptor for everything. Of the rumoured lenses to come soon, it is the 24-240 that gets me going. If it is reasonably good and at a reasonable price, I can see jumping in. As a one lens walk-about camera that has the ability to be an awesome pair.

Of course, all is speculation now, so I shall wait and see.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0