Reports of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III going to sleep/locking up briefly

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There are a few reports of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III going to “sleep” briefly after taking a few shots with the camera. The autofocus points and camera information disappear from the viewfinder and the camera becomes unresponsive for a short time.
There have been a few reports of this as you can see throughout this DPReview thread.
There are also other reports of the camera going into sensor cleaning mode out of the blue and restarting.
Canon Rumors reader Hamilton sent us a video of the issue that you can watch above.
I expect that Canon will address these concerns very quickly.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
As I said in twitter, I saw mine doing a sly sensor clean, it should only clean the sensor on power up and power down so no reason why it would be doing a random clean on it's own, then I read another guy I know has issues with the camera rebooting, when it does so it cleans the sensor, now knowing that I think mine was rebooting and I caught it by chance just like his. Anyway, I'm sure the next firmware will sort a few minor issues, I KNOW for a FACT that canon can resolve issues they dont own up too with firmware as they have done so before with my last 1DX2, note that took two revisions before that issue was fixed.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Although this shouldn´t happen in a 7500€ camera, we know that the first bodies always comes with some minor issues that are corrected by firmware update. I believe this is a minor bug that will be easily corrected via firmware update.
Probably doesn’t feel minor to a pro who is missing shots due to this issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ah gotta love Beta testers, they can sort out all the glitches and hassles so I don't have to.

It makes me wonder why anybody would buy anything with software in it from a first production batch...

When they update the firmware, Canon please put an intervalometer in the darn thing, the battery and durability make it a second to none robust time-lapse tool.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Should be some minor hiccup most likely addressed with a firmware update. Knowing Canon they are usually good at addressing most issues. On the video, it would be nice if there is more information in terms of what lens is attached, what kind and size of memory cards in the slot, does this happens in specific scenarios, if yes what kind of scenarios or how often this happens, Is it randon, what version of firmware, etc would be helpful. I have experienced more annoyance with Sony cameras than any Canon I have ever owned. For e.g last month I was shooting a baby shower with my A7r3 for a friend and family. In between at least twice I wanted to show the pictures to others I press the play button nothing happens, just a blank screen (the camera was on a tripod and nothing on the proximity sensor to switch to EVF). There is nothing in the EVF either. I had to restart the camera to play pictures. Once in middle of a wildlife (bald eagles) shoot, while waiting for eagles I wanted to review pictures and delete anything that is a outright useless image. The camera showed about 20 images and then says "Unable to display". I was in shock cox at that point I had shot closer to 1000 images. I was like "are you kidding me?" a restart solved the problem :D. That's my experience with a a6500 I owned previously. It happens in random. Never ever had any such issues with a Canon camera I ever owned. This is the main reason I do not want to ditch Canon and completely switch to Sony I want Canon to lead the pack in terms of technology. Now Canon fans please do not ask what is Canon lagging ;)? Except fan boys the rest of the world knows what Canon is lagging at.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
As I said in twitter, I saw mine doing a sly sensor clean, it should only clean the sensor on power up and power down so no reason why it would be doing a random clean on it's own, then I read another guy I know has issues with the camera rebooting, when it does so it cleans the sensor, now knowing that I think mine was rebooting and I caught it by chance just like his. Anyway, I'm sure the next firmware will sort a few minor issues, I KNOW for a FACT that canon can resolve issues they dont own up too with firmware as they have done so before with my last 1DX2, note that took two revisions before that issue was fixed.
The R does something similar to this all the time unless set to no auto-cleaning. Every time the camera times out, goes to sleep, it does a sensor cleaning, which is maddening, so now I have auto turned off and just try to remember to clean each time I switch lenses.

AFAIK, firmware updates haven't fixed this, but maybe I missed something.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The R does something similar to this all the time unless set to no auto-cleaning. Every time the camera times out, goes to sleep, it does a sensor cleaning, which is maddening, so now I have auto turned off and just try to remember to clean each time I switch lenses.

AFAIK, firmware updates haven't fixed this, but maybe I missed something.

I should add that I've not seen it again, so one time that's it, I can not get it to do anything odd, the camera is awesome! Soooooo fast, no matter what state hit the shutter and its bang, powered up, metered, focused the shot is taken, no lag, no delay, instant, that's what I love about the 1D series, it's all about speed and this is truly the fastest camera I have ever owned.
I hope any issues are sorted and Canon bring more features to the Mk3, I have no problem buying a new camera and expect some minor bugs, with such a beast of a camera and such speed I guess minor issues are possible, I.e they can be overlooked or misses when they go into mass production.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0