Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve mentioned a few times previously that there would be no follow-up to the EOS 7D Mark II. We’re again hearing more about the demise of the EOS 7D series in favour of an EOS R solution. We may be beating a dead horse a bit here.
Will it be an APS-C EOS R?
We have been told that a few dealers and distributors are a bit worried about what Canon has in store for the replacement to the popular EOS 7D Mark II, as those buyers also buy lenses, more than EOS 80D buyers do. Canon has apparently told a couple of dealers that this concern will be addressed sometime later in 2019.
There has also been talk that an EOS R replacement for the EOS 7D Mark II will require the RF mount to meet target focusing speed and accuracy. Apparently, there’s more to come with the RF mount that has yet to be revealed to the world. We were given no additional insight into what we haven’t been told.
We expect an EOS 80D replacement to come sometime in 2019 that may...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
It sounds like the revised 80D will have some features of 7D mark II to keep us 7D users happy for the time being, like high FPS for sports. That strategy will allow Canon buy so they can produce an awesome 7D-equivalent R camera. I guess I'll have to wait until the end of 2020 to buy this new R camera. I bet the new one will be called "Canon RS"

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Okay, I'm trying to figure this out.

Canon is killing the 7D series, but dealers say the 7D drives lens sales. That would mean Canon is killing the body that is an income generator.

"This concern will be addressed in 2019." What? How? Well, at least we won't have to wait long to find out.

A mirrorless 7DII replacement needs the R mount? So Canon would produce just one APS-C body that uses the R mount, while all other mirrorless APS-C bodies use the M mount? And, if the M mount isn't capable of focusing speed and accuracy, that's a pretty damaging indictment of the design.

"...there’s more to come with the RF mount that has yet to be revealed to the world." Yeah, well of course. The whole idea behind the RF mount was that it would allow Canon to move forward with new features and options.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Struggling with the idea of an APS-C EOS R – would there be an RF-S mount (a fifth mount for current Canon cameras)? If not, lenses are needlessly large (e.g. the patented 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens would be great for APS-C, but it has a FF image circle and could be significantly smaller with a smaller image circle). Does Canon expect users of an APS-C EOS R would just adapt EF-S lenses? Defeats the purpose of a small body, IMO.

I can certainly see Canon merging the xxD and 7D lines into a 90D that looks a lot like the current 7DII, perhaps with a video feature upgrade, enhanced AF and 12 fps.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I think it is very possible that a new 90D is better than the 7DII.

As for an APS-C version of the R, I agree, it does seem odd. If there is no benefit to the lens size, then the only benefit would be in fps.

What would be great is if they had a FF EOS-R that had a crop mode that was 12-14 fps and FF was ~8 fps.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Struggling with the idea of an APS-C EOS R – would there be an RF-S mount (a fifth mount for current Canon cameras)? If not, lenses are needlessly large (e.g. the patented 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens would be great for APS-C, but it has a FF image circle and could be significantly smaller with a smaller image circle). Does Canon expect users of an APS-C EOS R would just adapt EF-S lenses? Defeats the purpose of a small body, IMO...

I hadn't thought about that, but you make a good point. Very little about this makes sense.

Traditionally, the 7D series has come in under the 5D in price but over the 5D in features. I don't know how Canon packs all of this into a mirrorless body that would come in under the price of the R. But, if it is more than the R, I don't see 7D users buying it. We will know more for sure when the 90D or whatever they call it, comes out, but it just seems like Canon has really painted themselves into a corner on this.

To me that the easy way out is to release a 7DIII with an new sensor, touchscreen, f8 points, upgraded autofocus, 12 fps and call it good. Then wait five years for the market to sort out. As I've said before, I think once full frame hits about 36 mp, the perceived reach advantage of APS-C is no longer that significant in real world use.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Struggling with the idea of an APS-C EOS R – would there be an RF-S mount (a fifth mount for current Canon cameras)? If not, lenses are needlessly large (e.g. the patented 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens would be great for APS-C, but it has a FF image circle and could be significantly smaller with a smaller image circle). Does Canon expect users of an APS-C EOS R would just adapt EF-S lenses? Defeats the purpose of a small body, IMO.

I can certainly see Canon merging the xxD and 7D lines into a 90D that looks a lot like the current 7DII, perhaps with a video feature upgrade, enhanced AF and 12 fps.

I still don't seem to understand. Is there is a size differentce in an equivalent RF vs EF lens? Or are you talking an RF / EF vs EF-S? Then I wonder, how many 7DII shooters use EF-S lens, so that we have to care about the lens size difference? What other option for Canon there is, if they want to produce 7DIII in a mirrorless form? It can't be an M body, right? That would be too small ergonomics wise? Or it could be just a larger M body, still with an M mount? I am kind of confused :)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I still don't seem to understand. Is there is a size differentce in an equivalent RF vs EF lens? Or are you talking an RF / EF vs EF-S? Then I wonder, how many 7DII shooters use EF-S lens, so that we have to care about the lens size difference? What other option for Canon there is, if they want to produce 7DIII in a mirrorless form? It can't be an M body, right? That would be too small ergonomics wise? Or it could be just a larger M body, still with an M mount? I am kind of confused :)
Me too! :unsure:

Upvote 0
It is certainly an interesting situation. The fact that the 7D II moves lenses suggests that that's what they want out of moving it to the R mount. Canon may need to get more people buying into that system as quick as possible to keep it moving. Canon has aggressively priced the R and RP, likely to get more mounts into the wild which need lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if both the R and RP were loss leaders considering the cost of comparable DSLR release prices in the Canon ecosystem.

Here's an idea - if the spiritual successor to the 7DII was a full frame R camera with a (somewhat) lower resolution sensor, maybe they could release that alongside an EF mount adaptor with a built in teleconverter. The R can focus at f/11, so with a 2x version you could effectively turn the 100-400 into an autofocusing 200-800 on a full frame with improved light collection. Releasing a full frame camera with a somewhat lower resolution to allow a much faster burst rate combined with a EF adapter/teleconverter would could tick a lot of those boxes the 7D II was filling while giving better light collecting power, and provide a better vehicle to move those with interest in crop sensors to move up to full frame and start buying RF glass. Who knows what something like that would cost, but if the 90D is moving up market I would expect the 7D II successor to do the same. Crazy ideas, I know, but if Canon's objective is to get more people buying into RF glass then moving the camera which sells the most glass to the RF mount could be one way to do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If the above (That 7DII owners give a lot of money for lenses) is true - and I have no reason to doubt it - then this would be a stupid move in MY humble opinion. I for one would replace my 7DII with a 7DIII and the only requirement I would have would be the IQ improvement. The fact that the one year newer (2016) 5DsR has better IQ with the same pixel density proves that it can be done. Combine the 5DIV sensor technology and we would have a winner. 24Mpixel would be enough.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Canon could follow the Nikon lead. If cropped lenses are produced they fit the R mount and the camera automatically crops if on a FF body. That way they have the same mount but the function is changed by what body. There is NO need for an RFs Mount as there is no mirror to hit the rear of the lens if it protrudes farther into the body for the APSC sensor. Rear caps might be universal so a bit deeper to fit all R lenses without worrying which cap for what lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

That's where I was thinking as well. Would not an APS-C EOS R essentially be an EOS M?? We have crop sensor lenses for the M but obviously not an RF mount. This would indeed seem a bit strange. I hate to see the 7D name vanish. And 80D + 7D MkII = either a 90D or just call it a 7D Mk III. Not sure why they NEED to retire the name, unless they feel using the 90D name is somehow more effective for marketing?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think quite a lot of them have EF-S 15-85.
Yes. If you want to shoot wide angle to normal on a 7DII, it makes much more sense to use an EF-S lens. The 15-85, 17-55 2.8 and 10-22 are all popular lenses.

Upvote 0
These leaks about the future of the EF-S system, 90D/7Diii are not helping anyone. The information being teased is confusing, conflicting, or wildly optimistic. It's not helping anyone plan out their upgrade path, except away from Canon.

Even the title of this post is confusing. "Rest well 7D series"? Does that mean "Rest In Peace", meaning the product line is dead, or does it mean rest secure, in other words, don't worry, a 7Diii or equivalent replacement is coming? Then we are told the distributors are worried, because the 7D line drives a lot of full frame glass sales, which makes perfect sense - 7D is used by professionals and advanced amateurs who need high performance glass. Many 7D wildlife and sports shooters already spend crazy money on long lenses. If anyone can afford the ridiculously expensive pricing and early adoption surcharge of RF glass, it's them. So Canon's response is... what exactly? Don't worry, we're going to make a full frame R camera with specs to satisfy the 7D line? Or an APS-C camera with the R mount? Or an APS-C camera with the M mount or a new mirrorless APS-C mount? Or an APS-C DSLR with EF-S mount?

How is any of this comforting or informational? Basically, anything could happen, literally anything. Thanks, Canon! Why not just release a roadmap?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Not sure why they NEED to retire the name, unless they feel using the 90D name is somehow more effective for marketing?

Canon took a tremendous amount of grief when the released the 60D and it was a significant downgrade from the much beloved 40D (The 50D was never much of a seller, although it was a great camera). I doubt they want to repeat that by putting a 7DIII badge on a 90D. However, I do think that 7D owners are going to be upset no matter what they call the 90D, if it is a downgrade and there is no 7D in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0