Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

It makes more sense to me that a successor to the 7D MkII would be a RF-mount camera than a M-mount, even if it sported an APS-C sensor. 7D's have been pro cameras with pro bodies, and are often a secondary camera to someone with a 5D, so sharing lenses would be key. If the next 7D uses a full-frame sensor and the RF mount (to say compete with the A9), then I would hope for a EF-RF mount teleconverter adapter to also be released as well as some native RF teleconverters and of course killer performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon has to move forward. Even if Canon does build a 7Dmk3 it would be the end of the line. A sports worthy mirrorless camera can be done. Sony with the A9 has proven this. This doesn't mean sports photogs will be moving over the mirrorless anytime soon, but for the rest of us, a A9-like auto focus in an EOS R package would be very appealing. And that EF glass still works! A 7D EOS R (my name) would still be a good driver for EF or R lenses.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Those were DIGIC 6 processors. The new DIGIC 8 can probably handle the frame rate. As for focus points just reduce the number to the point that the DIGIC 8 can handle it.
The problem is that the usefulness of DPAF relies on a large number of AF points. The fast frame rates of Sony sensors depends on a much smaller number of embedded PDs.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I, personally, far prefer a FF with high resolution sensor with the same pixel density as an APS-C to an APS-C.. .

Yes and no. I find that the smaller the subject in the viewfinder, the harder it is to nail the focus. For a moderate crop, it's usually not a problem. But, if you are distance limited and need a severe crop, it can be frustrating to find that even though the autofocus point was on the bird's head, it didn't really catch the focus.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
7D moves a lot of big whites. That is the primary reason why I have been shocked at how poorly the 7D fans have been treated.

This smells like they are going to take the new sensor for the 90D stick it in an R body and say it is the mirrorless replacement for the 7D. I would be fine with that. There is no specific RF-S mount needed and they really wouldn't have to build any APS-C sized lenses as people could adapt the existing EF-S lenses. That is what I do to shoot video on the R. This would give the APS-C base which is way bigger than FF a path forward rather than just giving them the finger which has been the plan so far.

I do wish they would change their crop from 1.6 to 1.5 with this move..

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes and no. I find that the smaller the subject in the viewfinder, the harder it is to nail the focus. For a moderate crop, it's usually not a problem. But, if you are distance limited and need a severe crop, it can be frustrating to find that even though the autofocus point was on the bird's head, it didn't really catch the focus.
I have rarely found that to be a problem. If I can't nail the focus, then it's usually too small anyway to make a decent photo, and it's also far enough away to have a decent depth of field. On the other hand, there have been many occasions when I have got a decent BIF when the bird has been on the edge of FF, and on other occasions with primes when the bird has been too close or too large and would have been clipped by a crop. But YMMV, and so each to his own choice.
Edit: here are recent examples, a bullfinch in a tree surrounded by branches, where I nailed focus every shot despite the the bird being only 400-500px high. The images are only for the record as they are too small, but sharp for their size from a 100-400mm on a 5DSR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Canon does a wonderful job keeping us all guessing. I have to admire their ability to keep secrets. People get frustrated and will claim they needed this or that yesterday, but really that isn't true.
What people need is a road map so they can plan. My biggest frustration hasn't been what they have and haven't released it has been knowing what I can safely buy. I searoiuly belive part of the reason they are loosing customers is no body knows what they can safly buy with out getting F'd out of a lot of money if Canon is planning on abandoning some thing. If I switch to Fuji APS-C I can sleep well knowing that it will be supported into the future. Will Canon APS-C other than M which is a complete non starter for me?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm not too certain about an APS-C RF mount camera being a replacement to the 7D II. It's certainly possible, but with the vast majority of their camera bodies and lenses being for EF/EF-S mount, they may just want to keep their enthusiast grade APS-C cameras as DSLRs. That way they can keep their existing user base happy without having to force them to buy into an entirely new lens library (which doesn't have any APS-C specific lenses yet). Mirrorless is growing in market share, but the overall market is still contracting. So I would assume it would be in Canon's best interest to cater to the lens mount that makes up over 80% of their current customers when the market projections are showing fewer and fewer people are buying ILC cameras.

They could turn the 90D into a winner if they implemented that hybrid OVF/EVF they detailed in patent 2017-146322. That would add a lot more usability to an APS-C DSLR - especially for telephoto applications where you run out of usable focus points quickly due to aperture constraints in optical viewfinders. A hybrid OVF/EVF might be a feature that Canon would reserve for the 1D X III, but it would have a lot of benefit on a flagship APS-C as well.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Struggling with the idea of an APS-C EOS R – would there be an RF-S mount (a fifth mount for current Canon cameras)? If not, lenses are needlessly large (e.g. the patented 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens would be great for APS-C, but it has a FF image circle and could be significantly smaller with a smaller image circle). Does Canon expect users of an APS-C EOS R would just adapt EF-S lenses? Defeats the purpose of a small body, IMO.

I can certainly see Canon merging the xxD and 7D lines into a 90D that looks a lot like the current 7DII, perhaps with a video feature upgrade, enhanced AF and 12 fps.

If the 7DII is a lens sale driver of interest, be assured those aren't APS-c lenses and size is not the issue as the 7DII is bigger than an R. The drivers are autofocus and speed, so a high res FF R camera with a very high speed readout of the APS-C area of the sensor gives the best of both worlds. The difference in price won't be an issue for those who were buying big L glass. For the casual user, the 90D will be more than satisfactory.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
An EOS R 7D2 equivalent makes no sense whatsoever.
An EOS R 80D replacement sounds like something that might work.

The spec we have seen is not something that 7D2 users would find acceptable. On the other hand, it could be that Canon thinks that Nikon needs help to shift more 500D cameras.

Suppose the EOSR 7D has an AF like the Sony A9. Their mid level A6400 has it now, too. Canon needs to up their game by speeding up the AF in their mirrorless to match or exceed the 7Dmk2 . If Canon dedicates themselves like they do the RF lenses, they would own the mirrorless sports world.

Upvote 0
90D or even 80D sensor
Dual Digic 8 processors
At least 10 fps
Tap and drag focus point adjustment available on the touch screen, but I would also like a joystick
Dual cards (SD only is fine)
RF mount, with the option to use EF and EF-S lenses with an adapter (the 17-55, 10-18 and the latest 18-135 are all decent)
LP-E6n battery, and a grip with full controls, dual batteries, and USB-C sequential charging
Video output that doesn't need excuses
Wouldn't mind if it had a flippy screen, but I wouldn't mind if it didn't
At least as tough and water resistant as the 7D MkII
Low-light capability that enables the EF 100-400 on a 1.4x converter (eq. 224-896mm) to work well with focus points across the whole area

If they only go with a single card, no joystick and a fixed screen the smaller sensor should partially offset the cost of the extra processor, so it could possibly come in at about the same price as the R. But give me controls more like the 5D and 7D series rather than the R stuff.

7D moves a lot of big whites. That is the primary reason why I have been shocked at how poorly the 7D fans have been treated.

This smells like they are going to take the new sensor for the 90D stick it in an R body and say it is the mirrorless replacement for the 7D. I would be fine with that. There is no specific RF-S mount needed and they really wouldn't have to build any APS-C sized lenses as people could adapt the existing EF-S lenses. That is what I do to shoot video on the R. This would give the APS-C base which is way bigger than FF a path forward rather than just giving them the finger which has been the plan so far.

I do wish they would change their crop from 1.6 to 1.5 with this move..

Upvote 0
It is certainly an interesting situation. The fact that the 7D II moves lenses suggests that that's what they want out of moving it to the R mount. Canon may need to get more people buying into that system as quick as possible to keep it moving. Canon has aggressively priced the R and RP, likely to get more mounts into the wild which need lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if both the R and RP were loss leaders considering the cost of comparable DSLR release prices in the Canon ecosystem.

Here's an idea - if the spiritual successor to the 7DII was a full frame R camera with a (somewhat) lower resolution sensor, maybe they could release that alongside an EF mount adaptor with a built in teleconverter. The R can focus at f/11, so with a 2x version you could effectively turn the 100-400 into an autofocusing 200-800 on a full frame with improved light collection. Releasing a full frame camera with a somewhat lower resolution to allow a much faster burst rate combined with a EF adapter/teleconverter would could tick a lot of those boxes the 7D II was filling while giving better light collecting power, and provide a better vehicle to move those with interest in crop sensors to move up to full frame and start buying RF glass. Who knows what something like that would cost, but if the 90D is moving up market I would expect the 7D II successor to do the same. Crazy ideas, I know, but if Canon's objective is to get more people buying into RF glass then moving the camera which sells the most glass to the RF mount could be one way to do it!

This. The solution that canon is bringing in 2019 could simply be a native 1.6x teleconverter for RF. Honestly, what would the downside be?

Upvote 0
Another bad notice. I just arrived from a trip to Ecuador. Use my 7D II all the time even though it has some malfunctions. Take an 80D as backup and it does not work for my needs, now I'm selling it. My 4 companions used nikon and in high ISOS I was at a disadvantage. Probably when my 7D II stops working I will have to go for a nikon D500, I do not think that a 90D with so many megapixels is a suitable tool.

I understand that canon is a leader in sales and does not seem to worry about the continuity of the 7D line, which may be due to the fact that they have already lost that market

Upvote 0