Review - Canon EF 50mm 1.2L USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOBeav

Not going anywhere
May 4, 2011
about.me
Really good examples of this lens in your review. My concern about the 50L is this: At 2.5x the price of the 50mm f/1.4, shouldn't it give at least 2.5x the performance improvement? It doesn't, especially at wider apertures. I would at least expect it to be sharper than the f/1.4 wide open, but clearly it is not. Where the 50L really shines, though, is the quality of the bokeh shooting that wide. The 50mm f/1.4 can't even touch it. In that respect, a photographer is better off getting the 50L if they depend on that kind of background blur.

Having said all of that, I would in no way turn one down if somebody wanted to give me one. :)

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
EOBeav said:
Really good examples of this lens in your review. My concern about the 50L is this: At 2.5x the price of the 50mm f/1.4, shouldn't it give at least 2.5x the performance improvement? It doesn't, especially at wider apertures. I would at least expect it to be sharper than the f/1.4 wide open, but clearly it is not. Where the 50L really shines, though, is the quality of the bokeh shooting that wide. The 50mm f/1.4 can't even touch it. In that respect, a photographer is better off getting the 50L if they depend on that kind of background blur.

Having said all of that, I would in no way turn one down if somebody wanted to give me one. :)

The 50L is sharper than the 50mm 1.4 in the center at wide apertures.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.