Review - Canon EF 85 f/1.2L II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2012
CarlTN said:
I thought everybody's favorite Canon lens (including all the experts) is the 70-200 f/2.8 ii.

Forgive me for saying this, and it is not directed at you, but I wanted to use the quote from the post:

Yes, 70-200 II is a sharp "all around" lens, but it is also an over-hyped lens where many newbies parrot "this is a great lens" line...

While it is priced somewhat above the common consumer, its ownership doesn't set anyone apart and at least some seem to think it does...almost like a diploma. This lens is quite achievable and owned by many, and used effectively by many...but by no means is it the "be all end all lens" that should herald the arrival of anyone into the photographers' fold... another frequent line..."It does EVERYTHING I need"... ::)

I refer to the 70-200 2.8II as the "I too have arrived achievable newbie zoom", not that highly competent pros don't use it...many do and produce stunning images. But the newbies and the "review readers" seek it and own it like it is an end unto itself...almost like a badge...it is like a debutant's cotillion walk down the banister-lined stairs...

So no, 70-200 2.8 II is not one of my top three, and yes I own it.

*gets off soap box*

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Ray2021 said:
CarlTN said:
I thought everybody's favorite Canon lens (including all the experts) is the 70-200 f/2.8 ii.

Forgive me for saying this, and it is not directed at you, but I wanted to use the quote from the post:

Yes, 70-200 II is a sharp "all around" lens, but it is also an over-hyped lens where many newbies parrot "this is a great lens" line...

While it is priced somewhat above the common consumer, its ownership doesn't set anyone apart and at least some seem to think it does...almost like a diploma. This lens is quite achievable and owned by many, and used effectively by many...but by no means is it the "be all end all lens" that should herald the arrival of anyone into the photographers' fold... another frequent line..."It does EVERYTHING I need"... ::)

I refer to the 70-200 2.8II as the "I too have arrived achievable newbie zoom", not that highly competent pros don't use it...many do and produce stunning images. But the newbies and the "review readers" seek it and own it like it is an end unto itself...almost like a badge...it is like a debutant's cotillion walk down the banister-lined stairs...

*gets off soap box*

Hahahaha...I don't own it, and I agree with you, it's over-hyped. It's not one of my top three either. I was just stating what most people think. If you want to be seen as a professional wedding shooter or photo journalist, and you shoot Canon...you either have to get one, or go home. Fortunately, I'm neither of those.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2012
CarlTN said:
Ray2021 said:
CarlTN said:

*gets off soap box*

Hahahaha...I don't own it, and I agree with you, it's over-hyped. It's not one of my top three either. I was just stating what most people think. If you want to be seen as a professional wedding shooter or photo journalist, and you shoot Canon...you either have to get one, or go home. Fortunately, I'm neither of those.

Those job lines require versatility. I know a few PJ's and wedding guys/gals who shoot with a 200 f/2 and make stunning images...

I honestly love my 70-200 as a 2nd lens to my 400 f/2.8 while shooting sports. If I am rocking the 200 f/2 (indoors) I keep my 24-70 on the 2nd body. 3rd body is my 8-15 fish. No questions.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
...Now...back to the topic.....the 85mm f/1.2...ahem... ::)
I love this lens..and justin gave a very good perspective of this piece of glass in the review.
One thing I notice from Justin's review and many of the comments is that so many just sideline this lens most of the time because of it quirks and difficulty in use, (which is valid)...I have the same thoughts...but I try to overcome them and push thru an suffer, oh I mean use this lens more often. The lens is so unique, the fact that it got off the drawing board and was produced is incredible (the contacts on the rear of the lens are mounted on the glass for Gods sake!)... Many limits were pushed here and achieving those goals created some compromises...but it was masterfully done.
Obviously, this is not the glass you want too take when you need to work fast and have a lot of keepers...but, oh...when you want to look for the unknown (not certainty)...now that is where this lens shines..and many times it produces art.

Upvote 0
junior said:
On the 85 f/1.2L II review, Justin said the following,

"I compare the 85 1.2 to the 200 f/2 at times, that’s because similar framing can be achieved with both lenses, and with both lenses you can dramatically throw your foreground and background out of focus. Obvious advantages of the 85 are, of course, size, weight, and cost – all far less. For portraits, I do like working a bit closer to my subjects, it builds a better level of trust than 200mm sniping from afar can." ...

On the 200mm f/2L review, CR's take is,
"Without a doubt, one of my top 3 favourite lenses in the Canon lineup. It can be a bit cumbersome to use, but the results make it worth it at the end of the day." ...

So, that implies the 85 1.2 shall be another one of the top 3. Then which lens will take the remaining top spot? It's no doubt those are all great lenses. However, what's the relative comparison between the 2 lenses from experts' point of view? And I'm really curious what's the experts' top 3 lenses, or top 5, top 10?

Not sure if CRguy's got the 85 in his lineup, I just compare the two as lenses that produce similar framing. For example: take a full frame camera and an adult. Based on the minimum and maximum (infinite) focusing distances of both lenses, you can properly frame someone while still achieving a blurred out background. Some lenses would hit infinite and everything would be in focus. The quality and "depth" of blur is also in that "magical" territory.

And unlike CRguy I didn't find the 200 too cumbersome, I was surprised by how much like in weight and size it was compared to my 70-200 ƒ/2.8 L IS II, and I used it in it's place when I had it. But, yeah, it's heavy and stands out too.

I'm curious about your mention of a "top" list though, my top used lenses aren't necessarily my top favourite lenses - some are better than others for different needs. Like, I use my 24-70 ƒ/2.8 L all the time, almost every day, but it's not my favourite, just super useful - like a hammer, it's a great tool, but not as cool as a power saw ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
JVLphoto said:
I'm curious about your mention of a "top" list though, my top used lenses aren't necessarily my top favourite lenses - some are better than others for different needs. Like, I use my 24-70 ƒ/2.8 L all the time, almost every day, but it's not my favourite, just super useful - like a hammer, it's a great tool, but not as cool as a power saw ;)

+1

My most-used lenses are the 24-105L and 70-200L IS II, but I'd say my 'favorite' lenses - MP-E 65mm, TS-E 24L II, and 600/4L IS II - are in many cases ones that I use the less often.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2012
JVLphoto said:
And unlike CRguy I didn't find the 200 too cumbersome, I was surprised by how much like in weight and size it was compared to my 70-200 ƒ/2.8 L IS II, and I used it in it's place when I had it. But, yeah, it's heavy and stands out too.

I feel the same way.. but the weight is far greater! Lately my 200 has been my "goto" as the weather sucks and I am shooting mostly park and pipe. When I used my 70-200 this weekend for some event work... it felt like a feather. Def stands out... I get all sorts of questions and just tell them, as CR guy said, It's the pinnacle of medium telephoto! I also prefer it in situations that can get a bit rough.. the hood is built like a damn tank.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
RMC33 said:
When I used my 70-200 this weekend for some event work... it felt like a feather. Def stands out... I get all sorts of questions and just tell them, as CR guy said, It's the pinnacle of medium telephoto!

"pinnacle of medium telephoto" ::)

Like a lay person at an event who asks questions of this most obvious zoom knows what telephoto is...much less what a "medium" telephoto is. ::)

I wish Canon had kept all their 70-200's black and kept the white branding to the true superteles.

Upvote 0
Ray2021 said:
RMC33 said:
When I used my 70-200 this weekend for some event work... it felt like a feather. Def stands out... I get all sorts of questions and just tell them, as CR guy said, It's the pinnacle of medium telephoto!

Like a lay person at an event who asks questions of this most obvious zoom knows what telephoto is...much less what a "medium" telephoto is. ::)

I wish Canon had kept all their 70-200's black and kept the white branding to the true superteles.

My favourite question to get is "How many times zoom is that?" (something that applies mostly to point and shoots that go from 28mm-300mm... so 10x zoom" and my answer is usually "Two, two and half." 8)

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2012
Ray2021 said:
RMC33 said:

I guess I should have re-read that before I posted it. I get lots of questions on my 200 f/2 hehe.. not the 70-200.

Upvote 0
JVLphoto said:
Ray2021 said:
RMC33 said:

My favourite question to get is "How many times zoom is that?" (something that applies mostly to point and shoots that go from 28mm-300mm... so 10x zoom" and my answer is usually "Two, two and half." 8)

I still haven't decided if the proper response to that question when I'm lugging the 400 f/2.8 should be one or zero....

b&

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
TrumpetPower! said:
JVLphoto said:
I still haven't decided if the proper response to that question when I'm lugging the 400 f/2.8 should be one or zero....

The great white lenses are robust enough to be used as a club, if you think that's a more proper response. Just sayin'...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
TrumpetPower! said:
JVLphoto said:

The great white lenses are robust enough to be used as a club, if you think that's a more proper response. Just sayin'...

Maybe so... but it'd be such a pain to re-AFMA them after.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
If you're using the 200 f/2L at an event with its white hood on, then it looks gigantic next to the 70-200 f/2.8 with its black hood on. People can't resist commenting on it. The only question I got was "wow, what is that?". I just said something like "it takes good pitcherzz" (that's how 'picture' is pronounced in my area...if I pronounce it correctly, they don't know what I'm talking about!)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
TrumpetPower! said:
JVLphoto said:

True, but then you've got a biohazard cleanup to do on the lens, and possibly anything else that gets splattered...quite messy, really....

b&

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
I think the Canon 85mm 1.2 L II is a magical lense. It just gives you the colours and the bokeh with sharpness, even wide open (in the centre). I luckily shot one for about half the price listed, otherwise I probably would never bought one for 2k€. Now, after experiencing the lense I WOULD pay 2k€ for it. Why? After decades of having a lot of lenses from wide angle to longer zooms I just made a summaryline and asked me... what lense do you use very often and which one is hunting dust?

I got me catched on 85 1.2, 100 2.8 L IS and the Magic Drainpipe. Of course I like my other lenses, but you just can shoot with the Canonball and everything works out to be beautiful. The only thing I would criticise is the lack of wheathersealing and the sometimes annoying 0,95m minimumdistance.

This lense could be the REASON why someone should buy a Canonbody. And as I still use the 5DC, I enjoy the FULL step over the (otherwise fantastic) 85mm 1.8.

P.S. How can I change the camera in my profile? Damn ;)

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
vscd said:
I think the Canon 85mm 1.2 L II is a magical lense. It just gives you the colours and the bokeh with sharpness, even wide open (in the centre). I luckily shot one for about half the price listed, otherwise I probably would never bought one for 2k€. Now, after experiencing the lense I WOULD pay 2k€ for it. Why? After decades of having a lot of lenses from wide angle to longer zooms I just made a summaryline and asked me... what lense do you use very often and which one is hunting dust?

I got me catched on 85 1.2, 100 2.8 L IS and the Magic Drainpipe. Of course I like my other lenses, but you just can shoot with the Canonball and everything works out to be beautiful. The only thing I would criticise is the lack of wheathersealing and the sometimes annoying 0,95m minimumdistance.

This lense could be the REASON why someone should buy a Canonbody. And as I still use the 5DC, I enjoy the FULL step over the (otherwise fantastic) 85mm 1.8.

P.S. How can I change the camera in my profile? Damn ;)

Hey, vscd...just get a 12mm Canon Ext. Tube for when you want to get close. With the Canon tube I had no focus shift...(Had a Kenko and there was a ton of focus shift). Ideally if Canon made a 7-10mm tube it would be better...because with the 12mm tube there is a gap from the minimum focus of the lens to the focus of them lens with the 12mm tube...but it isn't too much lost... It is definitely worth checking out.
Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.