Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark III by Jeff Ascough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like alot of his compositions, and attention to the natural lighting
however I cant stand his processing i think there are some great images there that are just ruined
maybe its just viewing at low res on a screen. I dunno what do others think? i know lots say he is this guru but it's pretty subjective.

My thoughts:
too much overuse of vignette,
black levels seem to be pulled up too high for my taste alot of the time killing detail
too much added grain
too much black and white

i guess his "style" is going for that vintage look and I am sure that is "the look" that people who hire him want
so in that context I am sure he has many many happy clients. I just feel that looking at the shots I want to take the filter away so I can see the shot properly.

I prefer clean, sharp, vibrant detail with nice colour and the odd black and white for effect

I dont pretend to be better (I doubt I am and i'm certainly not as experienced as him) just saying his style doesnt float my boat :)

Upvote 0
too much overuse of vignette,
black levels seem to be pulled up too high for my taste alot of the time killing detail
too much added grain
too much black and white

I think he does use vignette, high black levels, grain... to create what works for him and his customers as a certain distinctive style. I do like the mood he creates but would not solely use that "vintage" look for all my work. I love B&W and never tire of its many opportunities.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.