Review: Canon EOS 6D Mark II by DPReview

Aug 26, 2015
The3o5FlyGuy said:
The AF points are no different to the 6D, 5DIV or Nikon D750. That is one of the most overlooked facts when people complain about the 6D2.
The main problem is the light sensitivity. Any other AF point besides the center and it won't work nearly as well, the D750 is better and the 5D IV is much better.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Long time Canon user - not their professional gear, as I'm merely a hobbyist. But my first EOS camera was the 620 (film). My last film camera was the Elan IIe with battery grip. Since the inception of digital I've only has 2 Canon bodies, the 40D (an overall excellent camera when introduced and I still get great images with it) and a used 7D I bought from a friend when he upgraded to the 7D Mk II. I also purchased his 70-200mm f2.8L IS when he upgraded to the Mk II version of this lens.

I get tired of the Canon bashing concerning their products. "If you don't like their products buy something else." This has been my mantra, rarely written/shared, but mentally spoken. On the other hand, I also get tired of "blind" Canon fanboy support. I think Canon is a good company, maybe a great company even, especially to work at, they have been and certainly are successful. And I understand their philosophy of and self-titled moniker as, "a complete imaging solutions" company.

But I now feel compelled to join those who are becoming slowly fed-up with what they are selling us. I understand completely that anyone who buys the 6D Mk II will have a camera that they can get stellar images with and enjoy using it. However, when one looks at the entire photography product landscape today it almost appears (to me anyway) that Canon is "resting on their 'laurels'" with some of their product offerings. I don't know if they're putting more effort/$$ into R&D and manufacturing of lenses, mirrorless, or the printer business. It does appear that they are not interested in what the competition is offering these days for similar or even cheaper price-points. And perhaps, when you're the 800lb gorilla in your marketplace you can do that. But it is telling that one can buy outside of Canon and get more "bang-for-the-buck" at least in features.

Well, I guess now we wait for TDP and Dustin's completed reviews of the 6D Mk II. I'm in particular interested in what Dustin's take-aways are (Dustin Abbott) as he generally provides a realistic real world/real usage perspective. And he's very familiar with the original 6D having used a couple of those bodies for several years until recently when he got an 80D (for his videos I believe) and then a 5D Mk IV. He should be able to make some excellent comparisons.

(PS: I don't believe the 6D Mk II is a bad camera. I think it is a good camera. But it could have been (it seems) so much better. The sensor performance in particular - as the original 6D in some ways was better then the 5D Mk III.)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Act444 said:
Not exactly a glowing review...but I think it is a fair assessment. Even from the perspective of someone heavily invested in the Canon system like myself...

Here's what I think...the issue with the camera isn't it's feature set. As the review points out, and as folks who have picked up the camera have alluded to, it's a good, capable camera in its own respects. Rather, it is the price point, and perceived value for money where it seems to be falling a bit short. If they announced it at $1500 or even $1700 I think it would have been received better. But once you hit $2K, people now expect a bit more camera for that kind of money - especially with the Nikon D750 and even Canon's 5D III available for the same amount. It's almost like a brand premium, i.e., you're paying for the Canon name and they wouldn't be the only company to do that, there's nothing inherently wrong with it - they're betting that this target market would be willing to pay more for the Canon name and time will tell whether that is true or not.

If you don't care about an articulated screen or touchscreen focussing in Liveview and video, some of the value of the 6DII goes away. In typical DPR fashion, the value is these 6DII features is first recognized, but then ignored when comparing the 6DII to other cameras, such as the 750D with its wretched Liveview implementation. If you read DPR for its assessment of the 6DII and then ignore its rationalizations about other cameras being better value, you will likely find some useful information.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Re: won't upgrade to it

bedford said:
cerealito said:
Canon definitely didn't give us aps-c shooters a real reason to upgrade.

I agree. My plans were to upgrade from 60D to the 6D II.

Now, I'll get the 80D (plus some lenses) instead. 3000,- € less for Canon.

Oliver

Sounds like Canon did you a favor.

Upvote 0

BillB said:
bedford said:
cerealito said:

I agree. My plans were to upgrade from 60D to the 6D II.

Now, I'll get the 80D (plus some lenses) instead. 3000,- € less for Canon.

Oliver

Sounds like Canon did you a favor.

Well, in effect they did my wife a favor ;)

Upvote 0
I love DPreview but I would disagree with their comments on the focus system. Liveview is super accurate, even through the viewfinder, it's a much better and more accurate system than the 80d/70D. Having the 70D and 80D in the past, I definitely know it's hard to nail focus using third party lenses at wide open (f1.4), but I've been enjoying doing that on the 6d2. Attached as sample of yesterday's picture with 85mm Art at f1.4

Attachments

• IMG_7498-1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 326
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017

cerealito said:
I'm a 70D user
... is the image quality of a FF system worth the added bulk and price?
The 70D is a fine camera. When your photography skills and needs get to the point where the 70 isn't cutting it anymore, you won't have to ask the question you asked above. Meanwhile the cool thing about the EF and EF-S system is that your 70 can use the EF lenses right now.

Upvote 0
The 3 years old d750 still can eat this 'amazing' (according to the fan boys) 6d2 for breakfast. How canon managed to produce bellow standard products and still kept fanboys happy is what amazes me lol! 2k usd for a 2013 sensor and system! No thanks.

Thanks for the past 6 years Canon. But I'm done feeding a greedy corporation like you. I'd gladly support a company that leads with innovation with my next purchases instead.

Will 6d2 limit my photography skill? No. But why would I support company who isn't the leading innovator? Who isn't pushing thing? Who's just playing the lame cat up game and playing it bad?

Upvote 0

cerealito said:
I'm a 70D user with a moderate investment in canon (sigma 18-35, EF 50/1.4, canon EF-S 55-250, EF-S 60 macro, 430 iii flash...)

I closely followed the rumors of the 6dii because I thought that it was going to be my first FF camera... but now that it's out I'm having second thoughts... is the image quality of a FF system worth the added bulk and price? is mirrorless the future?

the competition is fierce... the fuji x-t2 for instance seems to be slightly cheaper and much more portable... and with 4k...
I'm also considering the eos m5 or waiting for the next iteration... the eos m7?

Can't speak for then 70D, but the 6D mkii is light years better than my 60D. So much less noise, so much smoother. It doesn't not even a comparison I almost feel dumb for not upgrading to a 6D earlier as they say the image quality is similar (different feature set of course).

It's what's been missing to push my photos to the next level. I've always had good L glass, figured the body didn't make a big difference.

I was wrong.

Upvote 0
CanonGuy said:
The 3 year old d750 still can eat this 'amazing' (according to the fan boys) 6d2 for breakfast. How canon managed to produce bellow standard products and still kept fanboys happy is what amazes me lol! 2k usd for a 2013 sensor and system! No thanks.

Thanks for the past 6 years Canon. But I'm done feeding a greedy corporation like you. I'd gladly support a company that leads wihh innovation with my next purchases instead.

... until leadership changes again ...

I see the advantages of other companies products too but (1) I like the reliability of Canon products and (2) I decided that the SL2 will be the right package for me until (a) I want another FF camera or (b) I need another FF camera that the 5D classic.

Upvote 0
Let me take a wild stab in the dark : Canon has done its market research and know perfectly well who will be the people who will buy this camera and why. And we don't.

It is the same wailing all the time, but Canon is still the ones who sell the most DSLRs.

I am fairly annoyed at people posting as if the 6D2 is anything but a camera for the people with money and a wish to look good by having a full frame camera. They don't know what dynamic range is and most likely neither does any of you either. It is a technical and well defined term and you will be shocked when you find out what it actually means.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
CanonGuy said:
The 3 years old d750 still can eat this 'amazing' (according to the fan boys) 6d2 for breakfast. How canon managed to produce bellow standard products and still kept fanboys happy is what amazes me lol! 2k usd for a 2013 sensor and system! No thanks.

Thanks for the past 6 years Canon. But I'm done feeding a greedy corporation like you. I'd gladly support a company that leads with innovation with my next purchases instead.

Will 6d2 limit my photography skill? No. But why would I support company who isn't the leading innovator? Who isn't pushing thing? Who's just playing the lame cat up game and playing it bad?

Well if it isn't working for you, do what you have to do. Thanks for letting us know how you feel.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
CanonGuy said:

Is Canon putting everything they can into the 6D2? Probably not
Is there a manufacturer out there putting the best of everything into one body/system? Nope.
Will I worry about where Canon fall short? Nope
Will I spend time and lose money switching to a manufacturer that innovates in areas I don't need? Nope.

Enjoy your spec-based purchase. I am sure SoNikon will serve you well.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Looks like a very nice camera. If I was in the market for a backup/alternative to my 5D3 this would be the ticket, especially with the screen for ground level macro. I don't need the latest greatest, I don't use half of the 5D3's feature set. I also don't shoot with a spec sheet or need bragging rights, I just need time with a body and lens combinations to know their abilities and limitations.

Has anyone used this camera long enough to know those factors? Everything we hear at this point is from either a very short duration of use and or griping about specs. Neither is a good way to judge a camera body.

Upvote 0

cerealito said:
I'm a 70D user with a moderate investment in canon (sigma 18-35, EF 50/1.4, canon EF-S 55-250, EF-S 60 macro, 430 iii flash...)

I closely followed the rumors of the 6dii because I thought that it was going to be my first FF camera... but now that it's out I'm having second thoughts... is the image quality of a FF system worth the added bulk and price? is mirrorless the future?

the competition is fierce... the fuji x-t2 for instance seems to be slightly cheaper and much more portable... and with 4k...
I'm also considering the eos m5 or waiting for the next iteration... the eos m7?

Yeah, I was nearly in the same boat, also having a 70D. But I got 2 EF lenses as well, thinking those would be practical when I finally am ready for full frame.
So I waited for the next 6D...and then didn't pull the trigger.

Instead I started reading up on how to use the Sony offerings and how just got the A7Rii, which is different but awesome.

So you should look at other companies as well. You aren't so deep into Canon that you can't switch.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
CanonGuy said:

I know that feeling. :)
so I sold most of my Canon gear; lost some $ on bodies, but maintained or made $ on the lenses.
I still keep a little bit of it for specific uses but in 2012 I switched to Nikon and eventually added Pentax, Fuji and Olympus gear.
After seeing that even consumer-level products from those mfrs gave me the kind of raw file quality that even Canon's high end bodies could not deliver I was convinced I made the right decision and 5 yrs later I'm still happy I changed gear to get what I wanted. I allowed me to focus on the image and processing I wanted to do instead of learning workarounds to deal with shortcomings of Canon's imaging systems. It also spared me the angst of waiting and hoping that the next Canon body upgrade would deliver what I wanted. I would have been waiting for years for the 80D and 5d4.

I still think Canon makes one of the simplest and easiest to understand and use camera systems (early flashes not included) with great ergonomics but raw file quality was more important to me than all those other things.

So, if you also feel like that, hopefully you can justify and afford to make the change. it's not that hard to learn a different system and Canon's lenses aren't so fabulous that you're going to miss out on something special by switching... Well, maybe with the exceptions of those wonderful 17 and 24mm til-shift units!

Just do it! :)

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
so I sold most of my Canon gear; lost some $ on bodies, but maintained or made $ on the lenses.
I still keep a little bit of it for specific uses but in 2012 I switched to Nikon and eventually added Pentax, Fuji and Olympus gear.

No, *really*? This is definitely new information and not at all you repeating what you've said ad nauseam in more other threads than I can remember ::)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
scyrene said:
Aglet said:

No, *really*? This is definitely new information and not at all you repeating what you've said ad nauseam in more other threads than I can remember ::)

Well then, take your Dramamine and find a comfortable spot to sit it out. :)
Maybe you might notice it was for the benefit of CanonGuy who hasn't been here long enough to dig into old threads.

Upvote 0
First time poster here.

I've been following the reviews and forum posts for some time and I finally feel compelled enough to chip in.

I have a 70D with Sigma 18-35 1.8 and 50-150 f2.8 OS and have been itching to sell the 70D body + 18-55 STM kit lens to fund an 80D body for the low ISO DR improvements, wider spread AF coverage, -3EV sensitivity amongst other small benefits like mechanical shutter, larger buffer, 100% VF coverage etc.

When people said the 6D ii was like a full frame 80D I was really excited to consider going FF because this would make a great two body combo that are almost ergonomically identical.

But since discovering more specs it seems like the 6D ii is more a FF rebel just in the larger 80D body. I was almost coming round to 1/4000 max shutter speed which is limiting for fast glass in bright sun, and I've been used to single SD slot and okay with that (though not pleased). But then when the sensor tests show it's the old tech and that the DR at ISO 400 and below is no better than 70D (and way behind 80D and 5D IV), I'm thinking what is the point? I already have the 18-35 1.8 which is like a 28-55 2.8 FF or thereabouts, and on an 80D this would be better than a 6D ii with 24-70 2.8 in low ISO DR, AF coverage, 1/8000 max shutter, 7fps and 1/250 max sync speed as well as being equivalent in ISO performance, DoF control etc, and most importantly at a tiny fraction of the cost of 6D ii + 24-70!

I'm hoping Sigma release a 50-85 ish f2 lens to compliment the 24-35 f2 in a two lens combo that beats the 28-55 2.8 equivalent that you can get on crop sensors with the 18-35 by a full stop.

I was really hoping that the 6D ii would at least update sensor tech so that it genuinely does seem like a FF 80D but whilst it's old sensor tech, no headphone jack, slow max shutter and sync speed and I have the 18-35, I start to look to the 5D IV but then I ask why couldn't canon just keep the 6D ii truly equivelant to the 80D as they match so perfectly together in every other way!

Upvote 0