Review: Canon EOS R by DPReview

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DPReview has completed their review of the Canon EOS R, and we see they find the camera a mixed bag. It appears the reviewers greatest issues with the EOS R body is the ergonomics of the camera. The EOS R is nothing like anything else Canon has ever released in that regard.
The camera definitely does take some getting used to, and we suspect a coming firmware update is going to add some features as well as fix some of the issues users are having.
From DPReview:
With a 30MP sensor, fantastic color reproduction and on-sensor autofocus, the EOS R can produce some beautiful photographs with pinpoint-accurate focus. But it’s Canon’s first mirrorless full-frame camera, and in many ways, it shows. The ergonomics feel unfinished, and for the same or less money, you can find better video, more dynamic range and faster burst speeds elsewhere. But we have to admit that Canon’s new RF lenses are simply spectacular, and at this time, the EOS R is the only way to get to use them...

Continue reading...

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
It is not only ergonomics.

No IBIS
Poor Servo-AF/tracking fps
Nerfed 4k video
Bigger than competition
AND more expensive than competition

Canon thought they could get by with a mirrorfree 6D III at a much higher price. It ain't so. Anti-Canon stance at dpreview is obvious, but low score well deserved in this case.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

No IBIS
Nerfed 4k video
Bigger than competition

Canon thought they could get by with a mirrorfree 6D III at a much higher price. It ain't so. Anti-Canon stance at dpreview is obvious, but low score well deserved in this case.
As you are repeating again and again your same post in several threads I am going to repeat my month old post, too:
"Basically, EOS R can take comparable or a little better still pictures than 5D4. Has much better video spec than 5D4. Is smaller, lighter than 5D4 and has silent shutter. Doesn't need lens calibration. Comes with some interesting and innovative lenses. Can accurately focus in low and back-lit situations. Has a few interesting perks such as control ring, CPL/ND adapters and can shoot with both EF and EF-S lenses."
All the points are still true after a month of using the EOS-R camera and it is absolutely fun to shoot with it.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
It's only people who bought one that are comparing it to a 5D Mark IV because they've been brainwashed by camera companies that the sensor MP count is what matters most. And, they're trying to convince themselves that they got a mirrorless 5D Mark IV for a lot less money.
Everyone else is comparing it to the 6D Mark II, A7III, and Z6, which is the proper comparison to make.

Upvote 0
The EOS R is the best photo camera for video that Canon has created. It also has more features than a 6D II. For Canon, it seems to be a pretty good evolution for a camera. The whining by people who have never used it seems bizarre. I just see a bunch of generally misinformed comparisons to Sony or Fujifilm. Will the next review of a Sony camera complain that the lenses lack a control wheel or DPAF that covers nearly the entirety of the sensor? With the lens control wheel, Canon has now offered a nearly stepless method of adjusting the aperture while filming video. I have yet to see that mentioned in a review.

My own annoyances with the camera have to do with customization options. For example, I wish I could change ISO without first being in a metering mode. I would like to be able to have manual focus assists available while the lens is set in AF. The touch bar has a fairly unintuitive menu for setting options and it is missing options that seem like they should be available. Even so, this appears to be more of a problem with Canon finally attempting to offer more modes and customization options and me wishing for more. It is a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

No IBIS
Nerfed 4k video
Bigger than competition

It's obviously not the camera for you. For me:

No IBIS - Don't care. On A7R3, it's a minimal improvement when used together with ILIS. It isn't ever a replacement for ILIS.
Servo tracking - Don't care. I always use fixed AF points.
4k video - Video? What's that?
Bigger than the competition - Thank freaking God. I hate Alpha and Z sizes, because they aren't sized right for bigger lenses. If I wanted a small camera, I'd use an APSC, which also has smaller lenses.
More expensive than the competition - That just isn't true. It's more expensive than some mirrorless full frame cameras and cheaper than others. I think it's priced just right

Most importantly, it autofocuses much more quickly and with less light than all of the other competitors; not quite as well as a DSLR, but at least it's not painful.

Which really just brings it back full circle. There isn't a mirrorless yet, including EOS R, which quite accomplishes what a DSLR does for me... allows me to point at the kind of stuff I want to photograph and get a high keeper rate without getting in the way.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
It's only people who bought one that are comparing it to a 5D Mark IV because they've been brainwashed by camera companies that the sensor MP count is what matters most. And, they're trying to convince themselves that they got a mirrorless 5D Mark IV for a lot less money.
Everyone else is comparing it to the 6D Mark II, A7III, and Z6, which is the proper comparison to make.
Just the opposite. Those who have never got their hands on EOS-R and are brainwashed by mumble-jumble click-bait reviews believe that there are worthy products out there that can compete with it in the areas that matter most to actual photographers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Are you serious? This is like talking to a Trump supporter. You can say no things wrong with Canon and if it is wrong, it doesnt matter until it matters.
Then again, he did write "not for you, for me..." which shows he is not generalising for whole population, but showing why something that is a problem for one person might not be a problem for another.

From a landscape photog perspective:
- his IBIS and Servo tracking points are valid for the use case
- Bigger size is sometimes nice when you have a lot of glass in front of the camera, helps with grip in gloves, provides better balance, is great if you have larger hands.
- Video is not a feature everyone needs, for a lot of us it is a feature we never use
- For a 6DII "equivalent" the price is ok, but this will depend on the market - in my country, when it launched, the 6DII was sold at the same price as the R is sold now.

Speaking from experience, I never felt limited by the DR of my old 5DIII or current 5DIV, the prints are coming out just fine so no worries there. The R has some ergonomics limitations (missing joystick, bad use of space for only the power switch), but it does have some nice features too. If it had dual cards, and I was in the market for a new landscape camera, I would give it a go...

All in all, this might be a case of "we expected a higher-end camera with all the bells and whistles, and now we're pissed it didn't come right away", but I'm actually glad it didn't. This way, there's at least a chance they will gather some feedback and incorporate certain things into the high end body instead of having to wait 3-year update cycle...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
No IBIS - Don't care. On A7R3, it's a minimal improvement when used together with ILIS.

May I ask how you quantify this?

I only have one stabilized e mount lens (100-400), and I think when I disable IS either from the body or the lens, it turns off both systems, so I can’t compare on equal footing one vs the other.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
May I ask how you quantify this?

I only have one stabilized e mount lens (100-400), and I think when I disable IS either from the body or the lens, it turns off both systems, so I can’t compare on equal footing one vs the other.

Use it it with a lens that doesn't have IS, compare results to handheld with IBIS off.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As you are repeating again and again your same post in several threads I am going to repeat my month old post, too:
"Basically, EOS R can take comparable or a little better still pictures than 5D4. Has much better video spec than 5D4. Is smaller, lighter than 5D4 and has silent shutter. Doesn't need lens calibration. Comes with some interesting and innovative lenses. Can accurately focus in low and back-lit situations. Has a few interesting perks such as control ring, CPL/ND adapters and can shoot with both EF and EF-S lenses."
All the points are still true after a month of using the EOS-R camera and it is absolutely fun to shoot with it.
He keeps changing his screen name to protect the guilty. AvTvM, Fullstop, and now 4fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Are you serious? This is like talking to a Trump supporter. You can say no things wrong with Canon and if it is wrong, it doesnt matter until it matters.

So, a person gives their own well thought out and articulated opinion and you feel you have the right to insult them based on nothing. Hmm, they have a word for that....TROLL.

Upvote 0
My 2 cents asto why Canon doesn't include IBIS: Money.

IBIS = every lens now has stabilization. Works almost as well as in lens IS when shooting static subjects to stabilize the camera shake of the photographer. Does not stabilize as well when trying to stabilize a panning shot, such as a moving car.

In Lens = Heavier lens, but better sports and moving subject image stabilization options. If combined with IBIS you might achieve an extra 1/2 stop over either of them alone.

My theory on why Canon doesn't have it simply comes down to money. Canon charges a premium for IS and gets it. If they build in IS, they will lose quite a bit of people willing to pay a premium for IS on non sports lenses (the IS version of the 70-200 will probably still sell if used for sports, the hand held portrait shooter might opt to use IBIS and buy the lower cost version).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So, a person gives their own well thought out and articulated opinion and you feel you have the right to insult them based on nothing. Hmm, they have a word for that....TROLL.
Why people want to bring politics into every corner of life is beyond me. I had no idea Canon was political. Silly me. ;)

Upvote 0