Review: Canon EOS R by Peter McKinnon

I buzzed through it pretty quickly but it sounded like he was promoting a video that he was going to be shooting exclusively on the R. I'm not that familiar with his work but I guess that clip would be considered a Vlog and he is also a skilled videographer which he will demonstrate in the upcomming video. Or maybe I just got it wrong. I'll watch it again when I get the chance. His manic style made it all a little difficult to follow.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Perhaps the problem is your poor quality gear. The 4k video looks pretty good on a 4k screen (as far as the the shitty lowbitrate 4k stream you get from YouTube goes). Undoubtedly it will look worse on your 2.8k screen though.

How can you honestly critique resolution when your screen comes nowhere near the resolution of the file?

Ps... no, he hasn't shot in 1080p and then upscaled the exported file to 4k. o_O

It would seem that you're just advertising your cluelessness again.

Well, you're right and you're wrong. The issue is that I did not know until this point that the 4K YouTube option has been eliminated from all browsers except Chrome- so I'll re-examine the 4K quality over the weekend and get back to you while Google sucks up all my data.

I call them like I see them, so if the quality has been improved since the soft 4K video quality of the 5DIV, will certainly issue a correction.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Unless I missed something, how did you see that as the point of the video? The fact he was so enthusiastic about it?
He is a skilled videographer....or did you mean vlogger?

About all that I took away from the video is that he is very excited. Obviously, there must be a reason for the excitement, but he was bouncing off the walls so much that it was hard to see....

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

Meallred's post does not such thing. Someone makes a totally unfounded accusation and suddenly people demand an explanation as to why McKinnon likes a camera? Jeez.

IMO it does and I've enjoyed Peter's video and if he's been 'remunerated' for his content then for me that will change the way I watch/view this blogger, it's that simple and no big deal. Either way I'll go on watching his stuff regardless of the answer because being informed is useful knowledge so you know what you're watching and where it's coming from, I don't think that's so wrong, wouldn't you agree?
Thanks T

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
IMO it does and I've enjoyed Peter's video and if he's been 'remunerated' for his content then for me that will change the way I watch/view this blogger, it's that simple and no big deal. Either way I'll go on watching his stuff regardless of the answer because being informed is useful knowledge so you know what you're watching and where it's coming from, I don't think that's so wrong, wouldn't you agree?
Thanks T

I agree with your last sentiment. My issue is that you can apply Meallreads comment to absolutely anyone and continually asking someone to justify themselves gets tiresome. Especially when someone joins CR and in three posts, they accuse someone of being paid to do a review and to say 'sign me up to Panasonic' - my only conclusion is he has joined only to stir the pit..

What I appreciated on McKinnon's vlog was that he talked about the downsides - contrast that with someone like Jason Lanier reviewing at Sony and he absolutely refuses to say anything negative at all about the gear. Anyone can make gear look good by using it to its strengths which is why always look for the negatives - I learn more from what people say is a negative because it tells me if it impinges on my ability to do what I prefer to do. and then decide

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

What I appreciated on McKinnon's vlog was that he talked about the downsides - contrast that with someone like Jason Lanier reviewing at Sony and he absolutely refuses to say anything negative at all about the gear.

Jason Lanier comes across with a 'my way or the highway' style I do watch him sometimes even though I don't enjoy his presenting manner! If I had to nail it down to one reviewer then it's Dustin Abbott for me, I find his style less flashy and more honest/reasoned, it's not so much about him the person more about the way he presents his view, he choses not to slate something but explains in-depth the pros and cons of a particular piece of equipment, so the content of his work really make sense IMO and if you watch his youtube review of the Canon 50mm f1.2 you'll see what I talking about...

Upvote 0