Review: Canon EOS R by TDP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Bryan at The-Digital-Picture has completed his extensive review of the brand new Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless camera.
Canon seems to have released a very impressive first full-frame mirrorless camera and have what looks to be the most advanced lens mount in the game, and just like other reviews, Bryan thinks the EOS R will be a great tool for a lot of photographers.
From The-Digital-Picture:
Canon aimed this first R model at a very broad market, leaving out a rather small number of advanced features such as a very high drive speed when focus-tracking, in-body image stabilization, dual memory card slots and ultra-high resolution, but keeping the price at a very attractive level. The easy-to-use EOS R will very strongly appeal to both amateurs and seasoned professionals. Read the full review
The Canon EOS R is...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/review-canon-eos-r-by-tdp/]Continue reading...

[/url]

Sep 10, 2018
i read the comments and i wonder too that bryan did not notice any issues with DPAF when vloggers mention this on a regular basis.
but i guess he is mostly a photographer and does not film much.

leaving out a rather small number of advanced features such as a very high drive speed when focus-tracking

"very high drive speed" ... LOL.... i see what you did here.... :D

they did not only leave out very high drive speed, they are leaving out even mediocre drive speed.

Upvote 0
i read the comments and i wonder too that bryan did not notice any issues with DPAF when vloggers mention this on a regular basis.

they did not only leave out very high drive speed, they are leaving out even mediocre drive speed.

Indeed, Bryan does not focus on video as much as stills. However, he'll be doing a few more video-specific tests over the next couple of days and adding any relevant information he gains from those tests. He's already added a mention about moiré being seen in some scenarios. He's also added notes about manual focusing being required when filming in HD at 120fps and the lack of a traditional built-in intervalometer where the individual images can be saved instead of only the camera-created timelapse.

Upvote 0
That was my biggest disappointment as the EOS R is my backup body. Thankfully I have a little Bluetooth intervalometer that restores this functionality using my phone.

I was excited to see the built-in intervalometer when it first came out (in whichever body that was), but it would un-do my 'C' settings every time I used it! Maybe they've fixed that since I first tried, but I just got out my old timer/release thing with a cord. Same with the built-in level. It's not accurate enough to ever use. I try to stitch vertical exposures from a TS-E and the images don't align….. So many cool features!

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I guess you weren't born yet when the Canon F-1 had the blazing speed of 3.5 FPS and that was amazing for sports etc. And don't bring up the limited edition 10 FPS F-1 that very few were ever built or sold.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
They mentioned that the rolling shutter is moderate, but from what I've seen it's almost unusable for handheld work or anything related to sports.
The one pro this has for video is the color. The color does look great out of the box. The Sony A7 III and GH5 both have workable color after some corrections, the EOS R can more consistently hit decent skin tones without correction.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Why do you ask if he was being sarcastic? I like Bryan's reviews. What do you not like about TDP reviews?
I think brand loyalty and a desire for click-through revenue has undermined his credibility. His conclusions are universally and utterly predictable, as is his mincing of any shortcomings, even glaring ones. It would be nice to have a reliable reviewer to depend on, but nearly all of them have either disappeared or just given up on being objective.

On the positive side, however, he does a thorough job of discussing features and comparing similar gear, which is a valuable service to consumers. I just wish he had a more critical eye when assessing hardware. But the problem faced by tech reviewers in 2018 is that being objective sometimes means less "Buy Now" clicks (less revenue). I get it: He faces a very tough situation. And so do consumers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I think brand loyalty and a desire for click-through revenue has undermined his credibility. His conclusions are universally and utterly predictable, as is his mincing of any shortcomings, even glaring ones. It would be nice to have a reliable reviewer to depend on, but nearly all of them have either disappeared or just given up on being objective.

On the positive side, however, he does a thorough job of discussing features and comparing similar gear, which is a valuable service to consumers. I just wish he had a more critical eye when assessing hardware. But the problem faced by tech reviewers in 2018 is that being objective sometimes means less "Buy Now" clicks (less revenue). I get it: He faces a very tough situation. And so do consumers!

I can sort of understand what you mean, but I find his reviews very detailed and thorough. Negative aspects are always mentioned, but rarely raved upon. I think it is fair to let the reader decide for himself which impact the shortcomings have for his/her own needs.

I see and read tons of reviews that rant about things that I couldn't care less about, but who misses out on things I do care about.

As far as I am concerned, the digital picture might be the best camera review site out there.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
TDP has a mine of valuable information, well organised and accessible, and is a genuine resource for which we must be grateful. Much of Bryan's reviews are thoughtful, but you have to read between the lines on occasion to find the negatives, which are often glossed over. What I have found to be a drawback on occasion are his lens tests - it's come up several times in the threads that some of his comparisons don't fit with our experience. Here is one glaring example, he has has the 400mm DO II on the 5DSR much softer than the 100-400mm II! https://www.the-digital-picture.com...meraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=0
Lensrentals have done proper measurements and the prime is, of course, sharper. https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/08/the-sort-of-great-400mm-shootout/
Also, on that page the Sigma 150-600mm C at 400mm is similar to the 100-400mm II, especially for edge sharpness, but TDP has it very soft in comparison https://www.the-digital-picture.com...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=0
TDP put me off buying the 400mm DO II but fortunately eventually I did. Similarly with the Sigma.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I can sort of understand what you mean, but I find his reviews very detailed and thorough. Negative aspects are always mentioned, but rarely raved upon. I think it is fair to let the reader decide for himself which impact the shortcomings have for his/her own needs.

I see and read tons of reviews that rant about things that I couldn't care less about, but who misses out on things I do care about.

As far as I am concerned, the digital picture might be the best camera review site out there.
You really have a point. The current state of reliable tech review is such that we need to be appreciative of those sites which provide some info and insights. We have reached an age of near total corporate control, directly and indirectly, of information.

As AlanF just posted, we "have to read between the lines..."

I always thought photozone.de (now OpticalLimits) was straightforward, and that they didn't get enough respect on this forum. This might be due to their reliance on using a single copy of a lens to, sometimes, "disparage" a popular lens. Fortunately on CanonRumors we have learned, thanks to so much excellent input from lensrentals, that copy variation needs to be considered.

Upvote 0
...I find his reviews very detailed and thorough. Negative aspects are always mentioned, but rarely raved upon. I think it is fair to let the reader decide for himself which impact the shortcomings have for his/her own needs.

Couldn't agree more. And what's wrong with surveying the current state of camera affairs and deciding things look pretty good? These are exciting technological times! Image quality has never been better, and is so immensely improved from only a few years ago. Ergonomics are best they've ever been! And costs have remained about what they were for film cameras when you figure in inflation. All the teeth-nashing and wailing about IBIS and Only One Card Slot! Neither existed a few years ago and we somehow survived it!

Let a reviewer tell me about a camera and then let me decide whether to buy it or not! In 2018—I'm not going to make a egregious mistake, am I?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Couldn't agree more. And what's wrong with surveying the current state of camera affairs and deciding things look pretty good? These are exciting technological times! Image quality has never been better, and is so immensely improved from only a few years ago. Ergonomics are best they've ever been! And costs have remained about what they were for film cameras when you figure in inflation. All the teeth-nashing and wailing about IBIS and Only One Card Slot! Neither existed a few years ago and we somehow survived it!

Let a reviewer tell me about a camera and then let me decide whether to buy it or not! In 2018—I'm not going to make a egregious mistake, am I?
Right. Let corporate marketing departments control all info about their wonderful products! We don't need no stinkin' objective reviews! Corporations will always make safe cars, medicines, and toys, and they will always produce well made cameras! And who cares which brand to buy? They all so exciting and wonderful and, oh my, I'm breathless!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You really have a point. The current state of reliable tech review is such that we need to be appreciative of those sites which provide some info and insights. We have reached an age of near total corporate control, directly and indirectly, of information.

As AlanF just posted, we "have to read between the lines..."

I always thought photozone.de (now OpticalLimits) was straightforward, and that they didn't get enough respect on this forum. This might be due to their reliance on using a single copy of a lens to, sometimes, "disparage" a popular lens. Fortunately on CanonRumors we have learned, thanks to so much excellent input from lensrentals, that copy variation needs to be considered.

Photozone usually compares the test result with the manufacturer predicted MTF curves, and if there is a significant disparity, they have the lens adjusted, and if its still obviously a issue, then they attempt to obtain additional copies to test. No lens meets predicted MTF curves, but they should be reasonably close. Bryan also returns lenses for adjustment or replacement if they are obviously out of specification, so what is left are lenses that meet specs but still have variance enough to show on the tests. That's a quandary, if you get a near perfect lens, it may seem wonderful, but it may also be 1 in a thousand.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I think brand loyalty and a desire for click-through revenue has undermined his credibility.

So...I think the exact opposite.

Want click bait...just scroll the "reviewers" on youtube. Wow...the headlines that just try to grab you "best zoom ever," "The EOS-R...perfect except for....", or, my favorites, "R vs Z the BATTLE IS ON...."

TDP doesn't do that. Bryan gives thoughtful reviews of gear. He isn't trying to point out what is "wrong" with the camera, because that is subjective. He isn't going to freak over one card slot as many have, but simply point it out. "Reading between the lines" just requires reading. And he goes through a lot of detail on most to all aspects of the gear that should be important to a photographer giving you his impressions, not just focusing on a few hot topic issues.

So, I interact with Bryan a little. Several times, I've contacted him with questions. I would recommend you do that same. I suspect you will find him very credible. I certainly have.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0