Review: Canon EOS Webcam Utility Beta

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DPReview has taken the time to review the new EOS Webcam Utility Beta, a nice surprise from Canon to help people be productive during the pandemic.
There is currently a global shortage of webcams and capture devices, so this was a really good idea.
From  DPReview:
In the end, I have to applaud Canon for making the effort to create this software quickly enough to allow locked-down workers to take advantage of it. It’s free, it’s valuable, and it could really benefit a ton of people out there with minimal effort. It may not be the best solution for everyone, but for at-home workers that still need to keep up professional appearances, this is a fantastic option. We find ourselves hoping that more videoconferencing software will be supported in the near future. Read the full review
Below are the Canon cameras that are currently supported by EOS Webcam Utility Beta. Keep in...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users
It's brilliant, just works. I'm using it with my EOS R and Zoom and it's very easy. Everyone else looks like an 80's VHS tape whilst we look awesome! :)

However, what I can't understand is why has it taken this long for ONE manufacturer to offer this software? It's a basic use that every camera that's technically endowed, should offer. I would like to see other bodies offer this, like 5DMK3 - even without the autofocus capabilities. But kudos to Canon for offering this in beta form, at last. Look forward to being able to dust off my knackered old 5DMK3's to use a a permenant webcam.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's brilliant, just works. I'm using it with my EOS R and Zoom and it's very easy. Everyone else looks like an 80's VHS tape whilst we look awesome! :)

However, what I can't understand is why has it taken this long for ONE manufacturer to offer this software? It's a basic use that every camera that's technically endowed, should offer. I would like to see other bodies offer this, like 5DMK3 - even without the autofocus capabilities. But kudos to Canon for offering this in beta form, at last. Look forward to being able to dust off my knackered old 5DMK3's to use a a permenant webcam.

Well it actually does work with he 5Dmk3 and a lot of other cameras like the 70D as well. One can only guess why they are not on the list - maybe overheating issues? I use a 70D and a Friend of me uses a 5Dmk3 over prolonged conferences and we have never had any issues though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
None of my Canon cameras is new enough to be on the list, but great to see!
Just try it out. A lot of older cameras like the 70D or 5Dmk3 do actually work. You might want to be careful with prolonged use though since it is unknown why they are not officially supported.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well it actually does work with he 5Dmk3 and a lot of other cameras like the 70D as well. One can only guess why they are not on the list - maybe overheating issues? I use a 70D and a Friend of me uses a 5Dmk3 over prolonged conferences and we have never had any issues though.

Do you know what settings to have the 5D3 to get it to work? I've been trying in video mode via the mini usb cable and i'm not getting anything using the same webcam set up on the EOS R. Thanks.

*No worries, Ive got it working now. Not sure what the issue was before, it just started working this time. I did a 6 hour Zoom meeting yesterday on two LPE6n batteries in the EOS R and the camera wasn't anything more than body temperature. It certainly has no heat problems with extensive video. I'll keep an eye on the 5D3, I suspect it won't be as cool running over long periods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0