Review: Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Very nice! I think I'd have to be over the top picky to find fault. Your photos tell a much better story than photos of pine needles. :) Proving once again that the photographer is most important. The only thing more to wish for (just my taste) would be for the lens to be internally focusing like the 70-200. It would probably make the lens heavier and bigger, but I would be okay with that. Your shots have sold me. I'm sure the R version is just as good. Sometimes one must wonder if people commenting about lenses have ever actually used them. I think the answer is they have not, in many cases. A lot of regurgitation goes on.

Do you mean internally zooming? It already internally focuses. I think the main draw of this lens is that it offers a very wide zoom range and can be compressed down at 24mm for traveling.

So far, the new RF 24-105 is better than the EF versions in every way...so I'm delighted. I plan to use this lens for all my travel photography around the world, as well as much of my professional work like races and editorial images like the car photos I shared.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Do you mean internally zooming? It already internally focuses. I think the main draw of this lens is that it offers a very wide zoom range and can be compressed down at 24mm for traveling.

So far, the new RF 24-105 is better than the EF versions in every way...so I'm delighted. I plan to use this lens for all my travel photography around the world, as well as much of my professional work like races and editorial images like the car photos I shared.
Yes, I meant internally zooming. :) I am becoming a fashion photographer and can see that this lens could be very useful for travel. Thanks again for a great presentation of the quality.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Here is what I think about this lens: The best 24-105mm lens ever. Definitely. I used Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, Sigma 24-105mm f4 OS, Nikon 24-120mm f4 VR and Sony 24-105mm f4G OSS. This RF lens is the best overall. Optically it is very balanced and I can use it at f4 without even thinking on EOS R. Only above 90-95mm at f4 you'll see some decrease in corners and vignetting at 24mm at f4, and that's all. CA is very low, it is always sharp in the middle section and it is really good from 24mm to 90mm at f4 from corner to corner, it is short, handles perfectly well and the control ring is a God-given :) I wish it had close-focus like EF 24-70mm f4L IS USM (which I'll sell tomorrow) but you can't have it all I guess :)
Canon has a winner. Definitely. Now it's time to give new buyers a reasonably priced 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 IS.
Edit: I see a lot of vignetting between 24 and 35mm at f4 in RAW (uncorrected). Compared to my Sony 24-70mm f2.8GM this is very visible (GM lens is probably the best 24-70mm anyway and it is more than 2 times more expensive than Canon). After I edit RAW file and with some sharpening, you will still have good corners. And remember this is at f4.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0