Review - Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5L II

Status
Not open for further replies.
TrumpetPower! said:
Also, this lens has an amazingly short minimum focus distance. You can almost focus on the lens cap -- and you probably can with an extension tube. That means that this lens lets you do wide-angle high-magnifcation near-macro shots like none other.

Ever tried a 12mm extension tube on an 16-35 ? at 16mm you can get that dust on your filter in focus ;)

Upvote 0

drs

Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to read and answer. This is one of the few lenses that makes really fun for video. It is a great lens. The sharpest lens I own.
In video use, lenses fall very fast apart in terms of usability. If used like still lenses (e.g., no rack focus) they perform mostly excellent, sometimes even better than special Cine-lenses, go figure.

YES, I totally agree to focus on only things where your main expertise is. I might have to find a better way to express my wish. Perhaps that needs two reviewers. Nevertheless: we all have no money to waste, and to invest in glass is certainly expensive. To buy again is not fun. Knowledge and information about a lens helps to save money, because you might know a little bit better what to buy and what not. I use Canon L glass for my 4K film work and knowing the (cine) limitations of the glass makes me perform very well with it.

Thanks again, great review. I look forward to more. (Even focused on Still use only.)

Full disclosure: I don't shoot video. So any review I'd have based on video would be worse than a guy who did, I'll leave video to video guys doing reviews; they're more qualified. I want to express the "feel" of a lens more than the specs. It's hard to get away from them though, which is why they sneak up, but I want to stay away from precise measurements, from too many comparisons (though inevitable). I want to approach each lens from my own day-to-day working experience and qualify it under those parameters. That said, when I notice things, like the focus and zoom rings on the new 24-70 f/2.8 L II, I'll definitely include them in my review.

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Timothy_Bruce said:
TrumpetPower! said:
Also, this lens has an amazingly short minimum focus distance. You can almost focus on the lens cap -- and you probably can with an extension tube. That means that this lens lets you do wide-angle high-magnifcation near-macro shots like none other.

Ever tried a 12mm extension tube on an 16-35 ? at 16mm you can get that dust on your filter in focus ;)
36mm (from memory) on a 24-105 @ 24mm is pretty impressive too. Focal point about 1mm from front element. The lawn beyond the subject gets pretty distorted, giving a slight fisheye look.

Upvote 0

dpollitt

Amateur Landscape & Portrait Photographer
Oct 5, 2012
www.properspective.com
I wrote an article on this same lens, and how it can be used for portrait photography. I'm not a tilt-shift expert, but after trying to use it in this fashion for 3 weeks, I do have a bit of experience. Overall fantastic lens, I wish I could afford to own one myself.

I don't know the rules at this forum for posting links to other content, but this is the article I wrote:
Tilt-Shift Lenses for Portrait Photography -http://photo.blogoverflow.com/2012/08/tilt-shift-lenses-for-portrait-photography/

p6N4t.gif

Upvote 0
I had a very interesting journey with Canon when I ordered my 24ts mk2 about 6weeks ago. I had just landed a nice interior architecture assignment and felt I could justify buying one of these...I come from a 4x5 background and have sorely missed shift and tilt! I ordered the lens and of course as luck would have it there were a few days unexplained delays in delivery with the result that I got it in the middle of shooting the assignment. I was a bit pressed for time so I didn't even notice that they had given me the mark I instead. That evening looking at the images I wasn't very impressed with sharpness nor CA especially in the corners. Only the next morning on my way to another assignment did I notice it was the old lens! Anyway after a few stressed phone calls Canon delivered another lens to me, this time a Mark II but after a few test shots I came to the conclusion that this one was even worse than the mark I. I phoned the Canon reps and the immediate response was that I obviously don't quite know how to use it etc etc. After speaking to the local product manager it transpired that they had given me a pre production lens, the serial number was only 063...but I was assured that they will stand by me and if I am not happy with the quality they will give me another one or a different lens or my money back...eventually about a fortnight later they managed to get me a newer sample...and eventually I now have a good if not superb lens. I am still waiting for my 'own' lens as this is only a loaner...

I have shot about three house with this lens since I got it and as I get more comfortable with it I am really starting to appreciate the sharpness and shift. I have not tried the tilt yet...but so far my most expensive lens ever is living up to expectations...very little almost unnoticeable distortion. Same with CA...almost none...I saw some traces in the corners on one image ...very sharp at f11 where I use it most of the time to get max depth of field..so, so far so good...!

I will post my own impressions and sample photos on my blog in the next week or so...here at http://www.ivanmuller.co.za/blog-item/i-love-pancakes

Upvote 0
S

symmar22

I agree with the comments, it is a superb lens in every aspect. I own one since almost 2 years now as well as a 90mm TS-E. I bought it mainly for architecture work, but in the end more than 50% of my work is done with it (mainly indoors architecture, landscape and gardens). I am a big fan of wide angles and the 24mm is so to say my standard lens. It's almost like having the possibilities of a view camera, but much easier to use thanks to the live view.
I can confirm the the model 2 is a huge improvement over the version 1, that was a very average lens. It's much better optically (almost no CA, extremely low barrel distortion excellent sharpness) and the new mechanical system really adds to its versatility.

Coming from the 4x5 world, I was always extremely frustrated by the fixed direction of the shift related to the tilt on every other TS / PC lens. This 24mm TS/E itself is the very item that prevents me to buy a D800.
My 2 cents about the cons though : the locking screws for the movements are really a pain in the ass. they barely tighten the lens enough, but get stuck very easily.

About the sharpness, it is very sharp all over the field, but under some circumstances it may appear less sharp as other lenses. In my case, I use DxO as a RAW converter, that applies by default some sharpening (much better than a simple sharpen filter in PS) on the lenses that have a correction module for it. As there is no correction module available for the TS-E lenses due to the changing nature of the image circle, it may appear softer than my 24-105L (for example), if no sharpening is added. To me distortion is never a problem but I need a little extra sharpening compared to the lenses that have a module in DxO, as the software always gives extra sharp images by default for the corrected lenses.

Aside from that it is a very big and heavy lens (I was shocked when I opened the box), with a large 82mm filter thread (seems to become the new pro lenses standard).
The focus ring is a pleasure on itself, smooth and greasy like a Leica lens.
In one word if I had to keep one lens in my collection, the 24 TS-E would be the one.

One word as well about the 90mm TS-E; although it lacks the same independent tilt / shift feature of the 17mm and 24mm II, this is simply the sharpest tele lens I ever had, period. that stuff is simply amazing, sharper than the 100mm macro, but with much more possibilities due to the tilt function. It focuses very close and in combination with the EF macro tubes, it has replaced without regrets my 100mm macro. I just wish it would have the improved mechanics of the 24mm, but the optics are so sharp, I can live with it.

Thought I would have great use for it, I did not buy the 45mm since here a version 2 would be a must; the separate tilt / shift is really missing on such a versatile lens, and optically it is very, very average, not worth the money IMO. Please Canon push a bit of the version 2 of the 45mm, it needs urgent replacement.
Now I am thinking about the 17mm TS-E, I am just a bit scared about the protruding lens with no hood for protection.

One thing I forgot, the 24mm TS-E is compatible with the extender 1.4 (though I can only speak for version 2), that gives a very decent 34mm TS-E.

Upvote 0
S

symmar22

lipe said:
hi

between this 24 and 90 tse , which one give the better color

since the price is so high with the 90 tse, but no L

I used this lens on the fireworks couples time, I love the result very much.

No worries if the 90mm is not an L, sharpness is simply amazing, can't see any colour difference with the 24mm, no distortion, super flat field, no CA. Quality speaking it would deserve the "L" without hesitation. The optical formula being a simple telephoto with a 6/5 (lenses/groups), with no UD, aspheric or other special glass, I guess Canon sees it as too simple to deserve the red ring, though it is a stellar lens.

Upvote 0
S

symmar22

castillophotodesign said:
i have a question maybe someone can help me out. is the version I of this lens any good? is it a lot less sharp? why is version II so much better? about how much would you pay for a used version I? Thank you!!!

I am afraid to say the version 1 is a very average lens considering it's price, much less sharp as the v2, tons of CA, soft angles. I tried it about 15 years ago for a job where I needed it, it did not impress me much, mounted on an EOS 1n with film. The CA shows like hell on digital sensors. To get an idea, check this link :

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx

If you can get one for cheap, it'll do the job, problem is they are relatively scarce and IMO a bit overpriced on the second hand market. With film, I found the old Nikkor 28mm PC was sharper, though without tilt.

The last one on eBay went in the US for 805$.

Upvote 0
scrappydog said:
Kernuak said:
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is used to using both and has made a direct real world comparison for similar scenes. That said, the results are probably just as meaningless, as I needed a wide aperture for shooting the northern lights, which is the reason I went for the f/1.4 over the TS/E and Zeiss 21mm, otherwise it would have been a hard choice to choose between the three.
I have both the TS-E and 24L II. The TS-E is sharp in the corners at f/3.5, but truthfully, I rarely shoot at any aperture other than f/8. In comparison, I generally only use the 24L II at f/1.4 to f/2.8. At f/1.4, it is fairly soft. At f/2 to f/2.8, it sharpens a lot. I have not compared their relative sharpness at the same apertures.

I look at the two lenses as having very different purposes in my bag. To my eye, the TS-E appears to be my sharpest lens. It is my favorite landscape lens (followed by the TS-E 17) because the tilt offers edge-to-edge sharpness and the shift straightens walls and provides for shift panos. The 24L II is perfectly suited for the Northern (or Southern) Lights or anytime that you need a sharp, wide, fast lens with AF. For the Northern Lights, I would only use the 24L II. It would also double as an excellent landscape lens. Of the two, the 24L II is more flexible and more usable as a walk around lens.

I cannot speak to the Zeiss 21mm. For my shooting, I would prefer the 24L II over it because of the AF, which I find very helpful.
Thanks, I would agree about the different purposes, although they do of course overlap when it comes to landscapes. For a scene where you want a slow shutterspeed, the standard format lens would suit, whereas the TS/E would work better for freezing motion more (such as a large wave in storm conditions) and still get sufficient DoF. I think this is where the perception of the TS/E being sharper comes from, as typically, you'd be at f/4 or f/5.6, which is about the aperture that is as sharp as either of them get, instead of f/11 or even f/16 with the standard 24mm. When I shoot landscapes, I always manually focus (unless it's too dark to see), but I have used AF for a few portraits, so it has come in handy.

Upvote 0
This superb lens is especially useful for landscape photography. A precise composition was never easier than with this lens.

The noticeable vignetting, when lots of shift is applied, can be quite useful. In portait orientation, when fully shifted the light fall off at the upper or lower end (depending on the shift direction) is about 1-2 EV, which helps a lot with the sky. Several shots taken this way create a super wide angle panorama when stichted together. It shows almost no distortion and no grad ND filter is needed.

BTW, with a Lee filter holder and wide angle adaptor ring the last 2-3mm of shift show very strong vignetting. With a 105mm pol filter on top of the Lee filter holder the last 3-4mm of shift can not be used without distracting vignetting.

The two attached pictures were taken from the same position. Picture 1 was made of 9 stiched shots (with lots of overlapping). Picture 2 is the same view in landscape orientation. Both are re-sized small jpegs out of camera without further reprocessing.

Attachments

• 1_small.jpg
    1_small.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,086
  • 2_small.jpg
    2_small.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,053
Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I have the 24 II and find this an amazing enough Lens I intend to purchase the 17 as well, I have a question though, does anyone have experience of the Schneider 50 f/2.8 and the Schneider f/4.5 Tilt Shift Lenses, although expensive these seem a step up from even the Canon L Lenses, but I was interested in any opinions from anyone that has used these Lenses.

Upvote 0
symmar22 said:
One thing I forgot, the 24mm TS-E is compatible with the extender 1.4 (though I can only speak for version 2), that gives a very decent 34mm TS-E.

I am quite interested in that 1.4 extender and would appreciate some more info if you dont mind..when you say decent, would that be at max shift also and would you say its good enough for professional use..?

Upvote 0
Ivan Muller said:
symmar22 said:

I am quite interested in that 1.4 extender and would appreciate some more info if you dont mind..when you say decent, would that be at max shift also and would you say its good enough for professional use..?

I'm drawing a blank, but somebody posted a while back a "making of" video for a promo shot for a new luxury hotel -- the kind where crews truck in spotlights and they coordinate which room lights are on and off and what-not. The photographer, as I recall, used the 24 with a 1.4x TC.

Perhaps somebody with a better remembery than mine can post a link to the video....

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
S

symmar22

Ivan Muller said:
symmar22 said:

I actually use it for work were the 24mm focal is too wide, there is a slight loss in contrast / sharpness, but for me, the IQ loss is marginal, considering you get a very useful focal for a TS lens. I did not notice any problem with max shift, but of course what is acceptable is highly subjective.

Do you already have a 24mm TS-E ? If yes, you could probably rent a 1.4x extender to make up your own mind.

Once again for me, the results are surprisingly good, though I always use a stable tripod, a cable release and LiveView focusing to minimise vibration and guarantee perfect focus.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends.
I have this Awesome Lens since 5/22/2013, And this Beautiful Baby 95% on my 5D MK II almost all the time.
Yes, I have so many Canon EF and L Lenses Plus Sigma and Tamron Lenses, But I fell in love with Canon TS-E 24 mm F/ 3.5 L MK II, for the most sharpness at open wide from corner to corner. YES, Manual Focus, But I set up one focus at center View Finder, And When I turn the focus ring , It will Beep me at the right Focus.---Yes, That are the focussing Method that I use for my Bad/ Old Eyes and get the best focus in every times.
Surapon

Attachments

• T-6.jpg
    T-6.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 549
  • GC-SL-1.jpg
    GC-SL-1.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 557
  • GC-11.jpg
    GC-11.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 554
  • GC-5-2-small.jpg