Review: Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift Macro by TDP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Bryan at The-Digital-Picture has completed his review of the Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift Macro.</p>
<p><strong>From the review: </strong></p>
<blockquote><p>This lens has very good image quality, it is strongly-built, it has unique features and it is very useful. That list of values is a solid one. But, as with the other TS-E L lenses, there is a price to be paid for the package. The TS-E 50 f/2.8L is not an inexpensive lens and I’m sure that price will be the biggest limiting factor for sales. Some will have no problem with the cost and will quickly recoup their investment. Others will struggle to justify spending this much for a specialty lens. For those photographers, an occasional rental may work perfectly. <a href="https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-50mm-f-2.8L-Tilt-Shift-Macro-Lens.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>We should be shocked that these new tilt-shift lenses are as good as they are. Beyond landscape use, unique looking images, the TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro has become quite popular with architecture photographers that we know.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What these lenses can do is so fascinating and it looks like a lot of fun. I could see getting a TS lens instead of a regular 50mm or other focal length. Discounting the cost difference, I would think this would be a good choice for my collection. Maybe a 24, 50, and 90mm (10 year plan :) )?

Can the effect be seen before the photo is taken? Through the viewfinder or live view?

So glad I chose Canon. I know there are other manufacturers that make TS lenses, but I just absolutely admire Canon and what the engineers there accomplish. My world is a small one, but I am glad Canon is there. This hobby is so nice. There is so much beauty in it.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
Can the effect be seen before the photo is taken? Through the viewfinder or live view?

Of course - tilting is better controlled in live view. Being manual focus, live view is also better for accurate focusing.

I got the 24mm a little more than a year ago, and used it far more than I thought (but I like to do architecture and cityscapes).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
LDS said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Of course - tilting is better controlled in live view. Being manual focus, live view is also better for accurate focusing.

I got the 24mm a little more than a year ago, and used it far more than I thought (but I like to do architecture and cityscapes).

Thanks. They just seem like a very good creative tool. I've not got a 50mm Canon in my line-up so maybe this would be a good choice. Honestly, without T/S there wouldn't even be a reason for me to get a 50mm. The ability to focus on two different objects situated at different positions and still keeping the aperture wide open is intriguing.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
The ability to focus on two different objects situated at different positions and still keeping the aperture wide open is intriguing.

Just be aware it follows strict laws - the focal plane stays a "plane", it can't "magically" bend or the like - Keith Cooper has good explanations about how it works using DSLR TS lenses (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/what-tilt-and-shift-lenses-do/, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/using-lens-tilt-on-your-digital-slr/).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LDS said:

I also shoot a lot of architecture and cityscapes. I started with the TS-E 24L II a few years ago, and I added the TS-E 17 soon after. I find that I use 17mm more frequently, particularly in Europe where there is often less space to back up.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I also shoot a lot of architecture and cityscapes. I started with the TS-E 24L II a few years ago, and I added the TS-E 17 soon after. I find that I use 17mm more frequently, particularly in Europe where there is often less space to back up.

I was undecided between the two, but analyzing my photo metadata I found I used the 24mm focal length more often than those around 17mm (owning a 16-35). Maybe I find the 24 focal easier to use (especially with a PL or ND attached...), although I agree with you the 17 allows to work in narrower spaces - it's a lens I think I'll get one day or the other, after a lighter tripod, anyway <G>.

Lately I'm also using the 24 TS to create stitched images, when a wider field looks better, and the subject is adequate.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LDS said:
neuroanatomist said:

I was undecided between the two, but analyzing my photo metadata I found I used the 24mm focal length more often than those around 17mm (owning a 16-35). Maybe I find the 24 focal easier to use (especially with a PL or ND attached...), although I agree with you the 17 allows to work in narrower spaces - it's a lens I think I'll get one day or the other, after a lighter tripod, anyway <G>.

Lately I'm also using the 24 TS to create stitched images, when a wider field looks better, and the subject is adequate.

I have the WonderPana 145mm filter holder (with a 10-stop ND and a CPL) for the TS-E 17 – it's bulky, but works well.

Shift-stitch works well, although you lose the keystoning correction.

Upvote 0

dancan

R5
Jan 8, 2015
Canon Rumors said:
<p>Bryan at The-Digital-Picture has completed his review of the Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift Macro.</p>
<p><strong>From the review: </strong></p>
<blockquote><p>This lens has very good image quality, it is strongly-built, it has unique features and it is very useful. That list of values is a solid one. But, as with the other TS-E L lenses, there is a price to be paid for the package. The TS-E 50 f/2.8L is not an inexpensive lens and I’m sure that price will be the biggest limiting factor for sales. Some will have no problem with the cost and will quickly recoup their investment. Others will struggle to justify spending this much for a specialty lens. For those photographers, an occasional rental may work perfectly. <a href="https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-50mm-f-2.8L-Tilt-Shift-Macro-Lens.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>We should be shocked that these new tilt-shift lenses are as good as they are. Beyond landscape use, unique looking images, the TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro has become quite popular with architecture photographers that we know.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

This is probably a very nice lens.
But (owning and loving the TSE 17+24) I am still waiting for a TSE 35mm!!
For architecture 35 is much more needed than 50mm.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
LDS said:
CanonFanBoy said:
The ability to focus on two different objects situated at different positions and still keeping the aperture wide open is intriguing.

Just be aware it follows strict laws - the focal plane stays a "plane", it can't "magically" bend or the like - Keith Cooper has good explanations about how it works using DSLR TS lenses (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/what-tilt-and-shift-lenses-do/, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/using-lens-tilt-on-your-digital-slr/).

Thanks!

Upvote 0

dancan

R5
Jan 8, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
dancan said:

Stop waiting. TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + EF 1.4x III Extender = TS-E 34mm f/5L with excellent IQ.

Tried this combination, of course. I am not quite convinced of the IQ.

Upvote 0
hne said:
I prefer Keith's review: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/ts-e-50mm-f-2-8l-macro-review/

Thanks - I think Brian and myself review lenses in quite different ways, both relevant, but my approach is more suited to covering how and why you'd use a lens, whilst his is much better for comparisons and seeing how different models relate.

Purely by chance that they coincided this time.

For lenses like the TS-E range there is much more scope to explore unique features than if I had to say compare models of EF-S18-55mm (I think he has more patience and a more methodical approach than I'd ever manage ;) )

Upvote 0
I like seeing the reviews by Keith and Bryan. I'm going to have to print out that chart for J points though. Typically it's more trial and error if I'm trying to tilt the focal plane precisely, so fewer trials will definitely be welcome with the chart.

I will say that I was surprised that the corners were visibly softer (noted in TDP) for the TS-E lens. I then compared it to the Otus 55 in TDP's tool and saw that the sharpness was similar at f/2.8. Otus-like sharpness at a non-Otus price -- trading max aperture for movement. I do wonder if the decreased sharpness is due to field curvature -- not that it'll affect real world images but more so out of curiosity. Now awaiting data from LensRentals' Olaf.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
dancan said:
neuroanatomist said:
dancan said:

Stop waiting. TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + EF 1.4x III Extender = TS-E 34mm f/5L with excellent IQ.

Tried this combination, of course. I am not quite convinced of the IQ.
Then you are demanding an unusually high output and should be shooting medium format or even large format with a scanning back. I have seen the highest end hotel and resort campaigns shot with the 24 + 1.4TC and the resultant large prints were stunning.

Upvote 0