Review: Canon XC10 With Footage

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The most talked about product from Canon at NAB was the XC10 camera, both for good and bad reasons. I have been on the fence about the XC10 and decided to wait for some reviews.</p>
<p>Cinema5D has posted a first impressions review with footage from the Canon XC10.</p>
<p>From Johnnie Behiri:</p>
<blockquote><p>All in all I would expect a market leader like Canon to deliver a more solid product especially when the price tag is so high for what it is. I can sum up that working with the XC10 was simply tiring for me. Too much menu fiddling and “worries” about staying in focus but hey, who said that the way to produce nice looking images should be easy ….</p></blockquote>
<p>This review is not a glowing puff piece, it’s a pretty negative look at what was initially perceived as a strange product from Canon, especially when the $2499 USD price tag is considered.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.cinema5d.com/canon-xc10-footage-first-impressions-and-review/" target="_blank">Read the full review</a> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1134581-REG/canon_0565c013_xc10.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Preorder the Canon XC10 at B&H Photo</a></strong></p>

I was initially thrilled when I heard about this camera...a smallish sensor with high DR, good color depth, 4K, fixed lens...but have to admit that the negatives are starting to mount.

The jet landings look great, far more filmic than footage I've seen from Sony's X70 (which I'd been considering,) with none of the weirdly harsh highlight clipping that seems unique to Sony's 1" cameras.

But his point about the ineffectiveness of the clip-on loupe is worrisome, and while I'd not considered the 'slow' lens to be much of an issue...I'm usually stopping down for dof, anyway...the inaccessibility of manual control has me rethinking this.

Still, I'd really like to see some controlled, high-ISO footage that hasn't been pushed-around in post.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not a video kind of guy, so maybe more video oriented forum users can provide some commentary:

I have gotten the impression over the past several years that Canon seems to be stumbling a lot in the video arena. Every release appears to either be considerably more expensive than the direct competition, or is considerably crippled relative to the direct competition. Is this impression accurate?

I am particularly curious because I have heard a LOT of complaints about Canon's stills products, usually regarding the sensors (i.e. DR and shadow noise) but also with regards to crippling for greater product differentiation. Regardless, I have personally been satisfied with the Canon DSLRs I've owned and used.

Anyway, to the point: Is Canon really stumbling and bumbling these video product releases, or is this more an issue of Canon having a different idea as to what compromises to make and what strengths to focus on and since that's always going to leave someone unhappy you will of course mostly hear about what's not there?

Upvote 0
ajperk said:
I have gotten the impression over the past several years that Canon seems to be stumbling a lot in the video arena. Every release appears to either be considerably more expensive than the direct competition, or is considerably crippled relative to the direct competition. Is this impression accurate?

I don't think it is all that fair.

Nikon launched the first DSLR with video in the shape of the D90, Canon quickly followed with the 5D2 and the 500D. The close proximity of these products does not infer a reaction release, i.e. just to keep up with Nikon, as the R&D would have probably taken place over years not months, or weeks.

The Nikon had a few caveats, single frame rate, 720 resolution etc, but even the hallowed 5D2 was imperfect at launch, no PAL friendly frame rates, no manual exposure (until a later firmware fixed this), the 500D was even worse, with reduced 20fps frame rate and full auto exposure.

It actually took until the 7D before Canon launched a sorted design that didn't feel like an afterthought. The full frame rates were there, including a PAL friendly 25fps. Full exposure modes. And it was also, for it's time, a cracking stills camera offering pretty decent value.

Canon also had a major advantage in terms of the mount, RED, the early large sensor camera pioneer, had EF mount versions of it's cameras. You could use the stills lenses you already had, or you could buy very decent lenses for less than their PL equivalents.

ajperk said:
I am particularly curious because I have heard a LOT of complaints about Canon's stills products, usually regarding the sensors (i.e. DR and shadow noise) but also with regards to crippling for greater product differentiation. Regardless, I have personally been satisfied with the Canon DSLRs I've owned and used.

I think Canon were caught unawares with the success of their new videoDSLRs, and the new market they virtually created (a complete ready to shoot 550D for example was the 10th of the price of a RED body) and so hadn't figured on including decent audio connects, headphone sockets, or things like manual timecode, zebra, peaking and so on and so on.

Canon did launch some more dedicated video cameras based around an APS-C sensor, and with an EF mount (PL versions were also available) and yes, compared to a 550D they looked like poor value. To a stills market obsessed with so called full frame, APS-C seemed like a daft choice for the money (no matter that it is closer to s35, and so fits nice with PL mount s35 lenses) but were actually excellent. Great to use. All the connectivity you could want. Stable codecs. Brilliant in low light. But not exciting in the same way that flakey black magic launches were.

People who thought the C300 was overpriced should have looked at comparable REDs or Alexas. The c300 was not aimed at photographers who fancied themselves as DoPs (biiiiiiig difference) the c300 was aimed at film-makers. To whom c300 was half the price of the XDCAMs they had been using.

Enterprising folks like MagicLantern added some of the display functionality that pros wanted, making the 550ds and the 5D2s far more usable (focus peaking, particularly on a large sensor is a godsend) I don't think canon were intentionally leaving these things out, just that they still saw there primary use as stills, and were making some very nice XF codec based camcorders and brilliant cinema series cameras for the folk who they thought should be buying them.

I don't see a conspiracy. Behind the curve perhaps. A knock on effect of the terrible earthquakes and tsunamis that devastated swathes of Japan, things just slowed down.

Canon stuck with the 18MP sensor for too long, whilst Panasonic were doing reasonably great things with their GH series, folk spending daft money on hyperfast primes.. it seemed Canon were lagging behind.

I think they still are in terms of marketing, but then I don't think the market is particularly crying out for a cheap 4K camera just yet. I hope canon launch something better sorted than we've seen from the a7s and gh4. It's not the XC10 by the looks of things. It'll be the 5D4 or the next rebel. And it won't need CFast 2.0.

EVERYBODY scoffed at Canon when they launched the c300. No 4k they scoffed. What did everybody at a broadcast level end up using? The c300. That was a single cost. A single box. One record button. Everything built in. Great images.

Canon are being very sensible, generally. in my opinion. They kind of fudged the 5D2 and 500D... and I hope will spend more time getting it right for 4K.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2012
Thank you very much for that detailed and interesting reply! This is why I love this forum.

Tinky said:
ajperk said:

I don't think it is all that fair.

Nikon launched the first DSLR with video in the shape of the D90, Canon quickly followed with the 5D2 and the 500D. The close proximity of these products does not infer a reaction release, i.e. just to keep up with Nikon, as the R&D would have probably taken place over years not months, or weeks.

The Nikon had a few caveats, single frame rate, 720 resolution etc, but even the hallowed 5D2 was imperfect at launch, no PAL friendly frame rates, no manual exposure (until a later firmware fixed this), the 500D was even worse, with reduced 20fps frame rate and full auto exposure.

It actually took until the 7D before Canon launched a sorted design that didn't feel like an afterthought. The full frame rates were there, including a PAL friendly 25fps. Full exposure modes. And it was also, for it's time, a cracking stills camera offering pretty decent value.

Canon also had a major advantage in terms of the mount, RED, the early large sensor camera pioneer, had EF mount versions of it's cameras. You could use the stills lenses you already had, or you could buy very decent lenses for less than their PL equivalents.

ajperk said:

I think Canon were caught unawares with the success of their new videoDSLRs, and the new market they virtually created (a complete ready to shoot 550D for example was the 10th of the price of a RED body) and so hadn't figured on including decent audio connects, headphone sockets, or things like manual timecode, zebra, peaking and so on and so on.

Canon did launch some more dedicated video cameras based around an APS-C sensor, and with an EF mount (PL versions were also available) and yes, compared to a 550D they looked like poor value. To a stills market obsessed with so called full frame, APS-C seemed like a daft choice for the money (no matter that it is closer to s35, and so fits nice with PL mount s35 lenses) but were actually excellent. Great to use. All the connectivity you could want. Stable codecs. Brilliant in low light. But not exciting in the same way that flakey black magic launches were.

People who thought the C300 was overpriced should have looked at comparable REDs or Alexas. The c300 was not aimed at photographers who fancied themselves as DoPs (biiiiiiig difference) the c300 was aimed at film-makers. To whom c300 was half the price of the XDCAMs they had been using.

Enterprising folks like MagicLantern added some of the display functionality that pros wanted, making the 550ds and the 5D2s far more usable (focus peaking, particularly on a large sensor is a godsend) I don't think canon were intentionally leaving these things out, just that they still saw there primary use as stills, and were making some very nice XF codec based camcorders and brilliant cinema series cameras for the folk who they thought should be buying them.

I don't see a conspiracy. Behind the curve perhaps. A knock on effect of the terrible earthquakes and tsunamis that devastated swathes of Japan, things just slowed down.

Canon stuck with the 18MP sensor for too long, whilst Panasonic were doing reasonably great things with their GH series, folk spending daft money on hyperfast primes.. it seemed Canon were lagging behind.

I think they still are in terms of marketing, but then I don't think the market is particularly crying out for a cheap 4K camera just yet. I hope canon launch something better sorted than we've seen from the a7s and gh4. It's not the XC10 by the looks of things. It'll be the 5D4 or the next rebel. And it won't need CFast 2.0.

EVERYBODY scoffed at Canon when they launched the c300. No 4k they scoffed. What did everybody at a broadcast level end up using? The c300. That was a single cost. A single box. One record button. Everything built in. Great images.

Canon are being very sensible, generally. in my opinion. They kind of fudged the 5D2 and 500D... and I hope will spend more time getting it right for 4K.

Upvote 0
ajperk said:
I'm not a video kind of guy, so maybe more video oriented forum users can provide some commentary:

More or less I think it is. The comments haven't been so kind on movie and video forums for anything other than some Cxx stuff. And I think they tend to be more honest on those forums since the video/movie people tend to be less bending over backwards to defend every marketing decision a company makes just because it has "their" brand name on it.

I mean just look at how they still refer to basic usability features like zoomed focusing box, focusing peaking, zebras as 'extreme high-end features'. It took tons of pressure from the biggest names around on top of every forum going up in flames to get them, kicking and screaming, to even agree to update 5D2 firmware to give the video manual control (although it does seem they were legit surprised to initially learn people might want manual control for video in the 5D2, which alone signals how utterly out of touch they are and how it's all photography clueless MBAs running the show over there these days).

(not that Nikon has really pushed things forward for video all that much; they do push stills forward these days at least though; Canon seems intent to push out top of the top and interesting lenses and then use that, and their nice user interface, to get away with maximum milking, crippling, not bothering in most other regards)

And look at this camera, for just 20% more BM has announced a videocamera that has an APS-C sized sensor and that takes EF Canon lenses and seems to outspec this Canon in every single way, the only downside (which could be major for some) is that the BM one does weigh a decent bit more. I'd be shocked if the BM video didn't look better than the samples from this have looked so far too (although it's hard to say if it's the vimeo compression or weird editing choices that leave the early X10 samples looking so so in some ways, DR looks poor and it sometimes goes to that DNR, waxy, weird look, although it seems pretty clean from aliasing and moire and not overly crispy fake, but yet a little with the fake too much DNR squishy fakeness at times.)

Upvote 0
Tinky said:
Enterprising folks like MagicLantern added some of the display functionality that pros wanted, making the 550ds and the 5D2s far more usable (focus peaking, particularly on a large sensor is a godsend) I don't think canon were intentionally leaving these things out,

hah! (remember it's not just that they left it out of the initial 5D2, but everything else too, and people have begged and pleaded and pointed it out to them a zillion times)

heck they've out and out said they left it out of all the recent DSLRs because those are 'very high-end' features that they feel should be reserved only for the top most end products, even the $12,000 1DC didn't get them!!

And look at AutoISO, such a little dinky feature, but they dribble out the ten minutes of coding and 20 lines of code over a DECADE before marketing dared to let them finally implement it more or less fully (with the 7D2), other makers had it done reasonably right in their Rebel-like stuff years ago.

Upvote 0
Hi LetTheRightLensIn

I understand your frustration, and I'm not blind to Canons faults, but I have a perspective on a couple of your points, which I'd like to share. Each to their own and all that, but I disagree with a couple of your points..

for just 20% more BM has announced a videocamera that has an APS-C sized sensor and that takes EF Canon lenses and seems to outspec this Canon in every single way, the only downside (which could be major for some) is that the BM one does weigh a decent bit more.

BM announce lots of things. They announced the BMD4K whilst most pre-orders were still waiting for their BMD2.5K's. They announced their URSA mini before most folk have seen an URSA in the wild.

If the URSA mini has the BMD 4K sensor, then... well.

BMD don't sell complete solutions. Add a battery adaptor. Add a battery system. Add a charger. Add a lens.

Suddenly that 20% is more like 100% to get something that works.

Thats irrelevant to any critique of the XC10, BMD promise much, they don't always get to the shops in a reasonable time, and don't always work in a reasonable way when they do. My relationship with blackmagic goes back at least 15 years using their very fine video cards. I wouldn't buy a BMD camera at the minute as anything other than as a curio. And I'd be unlikely to find any shop that can sell me an NAB model before the next NAB. Based on previous performances.
heck they've out and out said they left it out of all the recent DSLRs because those are 'very high-end' features that they feel should be reserved only for the top most end products, even the $12,000 1DC didn't get them!!

I agree with Canon that things like focus peaking are high end. Most folk want to use AF, where focus peaking has no relevance. Professionals will want MF and will appreciate focus peaking, and will pay to have it.

Should canon add a menu that caters to a vast minority of users? Perhaps. But I can understand why they wouldn't. To use magic lantern properly you would probably want twice the buttons.... it really would screw up the carefully evolved stills form factor.

I've never ever considered the 1DC a serious video camera. Its a DSLR max. And suffers from the very same caveats and compromises that a 550D suffers from. If I was spending that kind of money on a video camera, that would be bottom of my list... fixed grip, (try balancing that with a xlr interface and 70-200 f2.8) fixed LCD etc. The 1DC is for photojournalists doing a bit of video. It's not a film making tool.

I'm used to ENG cameras, with a universal layout, universal switchgear, interchangable almost between Sony, Panasonic, Grass Valley, Ikegami whatever, sdi in, tc in, black balance, manual TC, XLR audio, mixed WB and ND filter wheels etc....

I would regard all of these things fairly essential to a video user at a certain level, but would expect none of them on a rebel.

The truth is that a C300 is cheap compared to what an SD digi790 used to cost.... I've spent more on a zoom demand than a 5D3 costs.

I can't see any reason for a rebel to have focus peaking out the box. Although I'm very glad that ML have made that possible.

Upvote 0
ajperk said:
Is Canon really stumbling and bumbling these video product releases, or is this more an issue of Canon having a different idea as to what compromises to make and what strengths to focus on and since that's always going to leave someone unhappy you will of course mostly hear about what's not there?

Whatever Canon's doing, I wouldn't call it stumbling, and a lot of criticism sounds to me like a collective "dammit, they're not making EXACTLY the camera I want."

But no headphone jack (!) or peaking on the 70D, an ostensibly video-friendly camera for enthusiasts? I'd argue those are both basic at this point. And it took them quite a long time to roll out 60p, even in their camcorders.

Put it this way: I bought my 40D because it had live-view, the first, I think, excluding that astro 20Da. And I bought my HV20 as an SD camcorder, though it was one of the first to offer HD.

In each case Canon gave me new features that I enjoyed learning how to use in new and interesting ways.

Now, however, it seems like Canon is shortchanging me on features I already know how to use and need; feature's they're capable of producing and the competition is offering.

Something's changed at HQ.

Upvote 0
ajperk said:

Anyway, to the point: Is Canon really stumbling and bumbling these video product releases, or is this more an issue of Canon having a different idea as to what compromises to make and what strengths to focus on and since that's always going to leave someone unhappy you will of course mostly hear about what's not there?

For perspective:
I started my photo/video career with a Canon T2i/550D back in 2010 then stepped up to a 5Dmk2 and 7D. Now I use the 5dmk3 and 1dx primarily for location based photo work and have transitioned to a Sony a7s and a7mk2 for travel photos and videos while also transitioning from the Canon C300 mk1 and C100 mk1 to two Sony FS7's for live studio recording (occasionally, I have to setup live interviews for cable news).

I think many video prosumers and working professionals want a camera that can "do it all" such as being able to capture fantastic photos as well as be a versatile camcorder that produces a cinematic look because of it's easy ability to create a shallow depth of field and record at 24p (ntsc) or 25p (pal). Between 2009 - 2012, Canon DSLRs fit the bill for many photographers experimenting with video as well as indie film makers gaining access to more affordable cameras that have a cinematic look when traditional cinematic camcorders cost at least 5 times the price.

As the democratization of video production progressed, with more people venturing into the genre, they started to demand the features found in traditional camcorders such as focus peeking, zebras, 1080/60p, built-in ND filters, high quality preamps for audio recording, high dynamic range color profiles etc. Canon answered by creating the cinema line (C100, C300, C500) while Panasonic and Sony (market leaders in professional camcorders) started introducing said features into much of their lineup. The Sony APS-C a5100 has focus peeking, zebras, and 1080/60p at the price of $500 while the least expensive APS-C/Super 35 camera that Canon offers with these three features (and more) is the C100mk2, but costs $5,000.

We know Canon has the ability to add focus peeking, zebras, and 1080/60p to all of their DSLRs because magic lantern has been able to add them into some of Canon's existing lineup for years. Which begs me to believe Canon is deliberately differentiating their Cinema line from their DSLRs. Their DSLR provide barebones video features, but you gotta hand over your life savings to step up to their Cinema line in order to play with the big boys and have all the cool tools. Meanwhile, Sony and Panasonic have made the transition into more advanced cinematography more affordable to the masses. That's why so many aspiring film makers have jumped off Canon's ship and moved on to other brands.

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
Cinema5D are not the most objective reviewers around, but they do like Canon, so if they are being critical it is pretty telling.

Hi Tugela. Johnnie from cinema5D here.

Thank you for taking the time watching the review and commenting.

Will appreciate if you link me to any of my "non objective reviews".
We work hard to serve the community with what we believe is an objective reviews based on our professional knowledge and experience!

Thank you again!

Johnnie

Upvote 0
Tinky said:
BM announce lots of things. They announced the BMD4K whilst most pre-orders were still waiting for their BMD2.5K's. They announced their URSA mini before most folk have seen an URSA in the wild.

true, it does appear like they have it together better this time though

Add a battery adaptor. Add a battery system. Add a charger. Add a lens.
Suddenly that 20% is more like 100% to get something that works.

Not for a Canon user, since a lot of it takes Canon batteries and we already have all the lenses.

I agree with Canon that things like focus peaking are high end. Most folk want to use AF, where focus peaking has no relevance. Professionals will want MF and will appreciate focus peaking, and will pay to have it.

Oh please. And don't forget that that almost none of their video camera even have any workable AF either!
So it's kinda critical no? Other brands have no stuck it in lowest end stuff. And Canon acts like it's some $25,000+ feature. Jeez.

But I can understand why they wouldn't. To use magic lantern properly you would probably want twice the buttons.... it really would screw up the carefully evolved stills form factor.

nope

I've never ever considered the 1DC a serious video camera. Its a DSLR max. And suffers from the very same caveats and compromises that a 550D suffers from. If I was spending that kind of money on a video camera, that would be bottom of my list... fixed grip, (try balancing that with a xlr interface and 70-200 f2.8) fixed LCD etc. The 1DC is for photojournalists doing a bit of video. It's not a film making tool.

$12,000 for a journalist camera when papers are almost all dried up and even S.I. can't even pay to have their own staff anymore?

The new mini URSA has XLR connectors for audio.

(I do agree that XLR might add too much for their DSLR form factors though, that might annoy more than it gets praise over all. So I'm fine with having to get an adapter to plug XLR into an external amp into the DLSR.)

I can't see any reason for a rebel to have focus peaking out the box.

that's the kind of thinking that makes leaders into followers into has beens
and even if not, it's MBA-think, not scientist, engineer or artist think

Upvote 0