CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I was really excited to see this lens coming for one huge reason: towards the end of the video I saw this and took a screenshot of it:

This is the first third party lens I have seen that supports the EOS-M mount. That's exciting, because it speaks to at least some confidence that the mount isn't going to be abandoned. I've already put in a request to review the lens when it launched in an M mount, so here's hoping that will happen.
That's awesome ... thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
I was really excited to see this lens coming for one huge reason: towards the end of the video I saw this and took a screenshot of it:

This is the first third party lens I have seen that supports the EOS-M mount. That's exciting, because it speaks to at least some confidence that the mount isn't going to be abandoned. I've already put in a request to review the lens when it launched in an M mount, so here's hoping that will happen.

ecka said:
I thought that Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS and 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS Reflex Mirror Lens was the first third party lenses for Canon M mount.

Terrific news! Thanks for posting this.

I had no idea any third party manufacturers were looking to add lenses for the EOS-M mount. Obviously Samyang feels there is sufficient market for M mount lenses, maybe other third parties will follow suit?

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
ecka said:

I thought that Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS and 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS Reflex Mirror Lens was the first third party lenses for Canon M mount.

I checked the Samyang site, and you are right, although I've not yet seen a retailer selling them in that mount.

bholliman said:
Terrific news! Thanks for posting this.

I had no idea any third party manufacturers were looking to add lenses for the EOS-M mount. Obviously Samyang feels there is sufficient market for M mount lenses, maybe other third parties will follow suit?

I'm not sure if I would prefer EF-M dedicated Samyang 10/2.8 over the normal one (with EF mount) + adapter.
I've checked some sample images taken with this new 300/6.3 Mirror lens, and it produces such interesting bokeh effect, just like the rest of it's family :), only this one seems to be a bit sharper.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
ecka said:
I'm not sure if I would prefer EF-M dedicated Samyang 10/2.8 over the normal one (with EF mount) + adapter.

Since I already have the adapter I think I'd go for the EF mount after checking the specs on the 16f2, http://www.syopt.co.kr/common/pdf/f=16mm.pdf. The EF mount is 585g and a length of 89.4mm while the EF-M mount is 615g and a length of 115.4mm. You don't get a smaller form factor for the M, you just get a built in adapter. The EF-M mount is about 75g lighter than the combo if that makes a difference. I assume the 10F2.8 would be a similar story.

The 300mm is a more compact design at only 320g and 73.7mm on the M, http://www.syopt.co.kr/common/pdf/f=300mm.pdf. It appears to be designed for shorter flange distances and doesn't have an EF equivalent. Maybe there will be other lenses like this in the future targeted for the smaller form factor bodies.

Upvote 0
dcm said:
ecka said:

Since I already have the adapter I think I'd go for the EF mount after checking the specs on the 16f2, http://www.syopt.co.kr/common/pdf/f=16mm.pdf. The EF mount is 585g and a length of 89.4mm while the EF-M mount is 615g and a length of 115.4mm. You don't get a smaller form factor for the M, you just get a built in adapter. The EF-M mount is about 75g lighter than the combo if that makes a difference. I assume the 10F2.8 would be a similar story.

The 300mm is a more compact design at only 320g and 73.7mm on the M, http://www.syopt.co.kr/common/pdf/f=300mm.pdf. It doesn't have an EF equivalent. Maybe there will be other lenses like this in the future targeted for the smaller form factor bodies.

And that is going to be the basic problem with 3rd party options. The lenses designed for M specifically benefit from being designed for the flange and are nicely compact. Lenses that are designed for APS-C with an M mount are not really specifically designed for the body and won't have the great small form factor. Still, better to have some options than no options...and Canon hasn't exactly been pumping out the lenses.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Upvote 0
surapon said:
Dear Sir, Mr. Dustin
I already order my EOS-M with 22 mm Lens and EOS-M-EF Lens adaptor, Should get with in 3-4 days. The Question is, Should I order The Grip too ? ( Cheap and may be Good for my Big Hand , and When I use with Big EF Lenses)

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/camera-photo-accessories/hand-grip-for-canon-eos-m-efm-camera-with-metal-black-battery-access.html

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Surapon, I'm not personally familiar with that grip. You might want to wait until you the camera in hand and then decide for yourself. It does look like a nice accessory.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
dcm said:
ecka said:

The 300mm is a more compact design at only 320g and 73.7mm on the M, http://www.syopt.co.kr/common/pdf/f=300mm.pdf. It doesn't have an EF equivalent. Maybe there will be other lenses like this in the future targeted for the smaller form factor bodies.

And that is going to be the basic problem with 3rd party options. The lenses designed for M specifically benefit from being designed for the flange and are nicely compact. Lenses that are designed for APS-C with an M mount are not really specifically designed for the body and won't have the great small form factor. Still, better to have some options than no options...and Canon hasn't exactly been pumping out the lenses.

Yes. Perhaps that's because Canon is marketing it as a pure consumer product (EF-M system), so 1-2(3) lenses is enough, and if you are an enthusiast, then you must add the EF-to-EF-M adapter, or skip the whole thing and get a Rebel (which lacks a lot of dedicated, affordable primes as well). I think that Canon non-professional product segmentation/politics is a big mess, god help them ...
Their only APSC DSLR UWA lens is the EF-S10-22USM and they are squeezing this lemon for 10 years. It is decent quality, but now they are expecting Americans to use it on EOS-M or something? Who's making these crazy decisions? :) They should learn from Sony - "If you can't make something, buy someone who can".

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
surapon said:
Dear Sir, Mr. Dustin
I already order my EOS-M with 22 mm Lens and EOS-M-EF Lens adaptor, Should get with in 3-4 days. The Question is, Should I order The Grip too ? ( Cheap and may be Good for my Big Hand , and When I use with Big EF Lenses)

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/camera-photo-accessories/hand-grip-for-canon-eos-m-efm-camera-with-metal-black-battery-access.html

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Surapon, I'm not personally familiar with that grip. You might want to wait until you the camera in hand and then decide for yourself. It does look like a nice accessory.

Thanks you, Sir, Dear Dustin.
Yes, I will wait until the EOS-M in my hand and try first.
Another Question sir : Canon Recommend The Card = SDXC( In Canon Web Site), But in my local camera shop, have only SDHC , MARK 10 = 60MB/s = 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB. Can I use this Card = SDHC, ? and Can I put all eggs in one basket ( 64 GB) or Separate eggs in many Basket ( 4 of 16 GB).?---Which one will you do ?
Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0
surapon said:
surapon said:
Dear Sir, Mr. Dustin

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Another Question sir : Canon Recommend The Card = SDXC( In Canon Web Site), But in my local camera shop, have only SDHC , MARK 10 = 60MB/s = 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB. Can I use this Card = SDHC, ? and Can I put all eggs in one basket ( 64 GB) or Separate eggs in many Basket ( 4 of 16 GB).?---Which one will you do ?
Thank you, Sir.
Surapon
Surapon, I have read many places that the EOS-M only supports 45 MB/s write speeds, so anything faster is a waste of money. Here's the card I bought for my M:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extreme-uhs-1-45mbs/?capacity=32GB

It's on sale at B&H and Adorama for $30 right now.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
mackguyver said:
surapon said:
surapon said:
Dear Sir, Mr. Dustin

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon
Surapon, I have read many places that the EOS-M only supports 45 MB/s write speeds, so anything faster is a waste of money. Here's the card I bought for my M:
http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extreme-uhs-1-45mbs/?capacity=32GB

Thanks you, Sir Dear Mr. mackguyver.
Thanks for your great infor. I will order from B&H, Now.
Have a good Monday, Sir.
Surapon

PS, Which card that you prefer 8, 16, 32 or 64 GB, Sir ?

Upvote 0
surapon said:
mackguyver said:
surapon said:
surapon said:
Dear Sir, Mr. Dustin

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Have a good Monday, Sir.
Surapon

I usually buy the 32GB cards - I think they are the best value right now in terms of GB/$ and useful storage - around 1,000 shots on a 18MP camera, 600+ on my 5D3. I find that 1,000 is about the most I feel comfortable putting on a single card, too. This works for the way I shoot, and my typical shooting day is about 300-600 photos outdoors/on-location, and around 100 in the studio for most work. For the M, I probably won't shoot more than 100-200 shots, but the 32GB isn't much more than the 16GB right now.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
mackguyver said:
surapon said:
mackguyver said:
surapon said:
surapon said:
Dear Sir, Mr. Dustin

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Have a good Monday, Sir.
Surapon

I usually buy the 32GB cards - I think they are the best value right now in terms of GB/$ and useful storage - around 1,000 shots on a 18MP camera, 600+ on my 5D3. I find that 1,000 is about the most I feel comfortable putting on a single card, too. This works for the way I shoot, and my typical shooting day is about 300-600 photos outdoors/on-location, and around 100 in the studio for most work. For the M, I probably won't shoot more than 100-200 shots, but the 32GB isn't much more than the 16GB right now.

Yes, Sir, Me too, I use 32 GB. card for all of my Cameras.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0
hello everyone,

kinda curious. I have my M with 2.0.2 firmware verison and Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye. However, I couldn't use this 8mm on M. Shutter button wouldn't work and the touch shutter woudn't either.

I changed mode from Av to Tv to M and P. None of them worked. Neither Intelligence mode nor Video worked.

Anyone got a clue?

Thanks all.
jSiras

Upvote 0
jsiras said:
hello everyone,

kinda curious. I have my M with 2.0.2 firmware verison and Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye. However, I couldn't use this 8mm on M. Shutter button wouldn't work and the touch shutter woudn't either.

I changed mode from Av to Tv to M and P. None of them worked. Neither Intelligence mode nor Video worked.

Anyone got a clue?

Thanks all.
jSiras

Did you try Custom Function IV (screen 7) to set Release shutter w/o lens = 1 (Enable)?

Upvote 0