Review: New Canon EOS R firmware

Phoblographer... Is he a Canon ambassador/representative? Most likely yes. Why should anyone believe anything he has to say???
canon already published a comparison video as well so you can see with your own eyes. I don't think CR posted the video, so here's where I posted it back on August 28th.

it's vastly improved. Like night and day.

the only question will be - who on the net will re-do their reviews on the EOS R and the EOS RP. when you consider the EOS R and the initial firmware to version 1.2, it's vastly different. Enough reviews should be revised. (looking at you, dpreview)

(edit sorry replied i guess to the wrong person)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
canon already published a comparison video as well so you can see with your own eyes. I don't think CR posted the video, so here's where I posted it back on August 28th.

it's vastly improved. Like night and day.

the only question will be - who on the net will re-do their reviews on the EOS R and the EOS RP. when you consider the EOS R and the initial firmware to version 1.2, it's vastly different. Enough reviews should be revised. (looking at you, dpreview)
I watched that video early on, and if it's as shown, it will be a huge improvement. The tracking will be welcome for my dance photography, since the R is prone to randomly losing its mind and following lord knows what. In my opinion, the more distant eye tracking is just to shut up the critics that think focusing on the eye from 20 feet is somehow needed, seemingly forgetting the depth of field is increasing with distance.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It appears I may be jumping on to mirrorless sooner than expected. My 6D Mark II is excellent and more than enough for what I do, but these new gadgets coming out are ticking my tech nerd side. My little Fuji X-T10, despite its age, didn't help matters either, pushing me to go all out. And now with these fantastic firmware upgrades from Canon, I feel my jump to an EOS R may be soon. lol.

none of them will want to. It doesn't generate clicks and they wouldn't want to be caught with their foot in their mouth.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
none of them will want to. It doesn't generate clicks and they wouldn't want to be caught with their foot in their mouth.

If that's actually their thought process, it's ridiculous. Their review was correct when they wrote it and it would be commendable of them to update it when the situation changes. So now they're going to let a correct review turn into a clearly wrong one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
They come with it. Watch the demo vids from the 90D/m6ii release party at the race track.

The enhanced subject acquisition seems to be there, but on the other hand this video quite strongly indicates that the improved eye AF is not included. Although especially with a crop sensor, it shouldn't really matter… there should be plenty enough DoF for whole-body portraits with any lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As soon as the firmware is out we'll have the Northrups putting out a video on how "Canon AF DESTROYS Sony", followed by one on how the "Sony A7V revolutionizes photography" and another "Micro Four Thirds is dead" followed by a "why the Olympus E-M5III is our top travel camera"...

Well, at least the Northrupian over-hype is non-discriminatory. They love everything for 15 seconds. As opposed to having a grudge against some particular brand.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
As soon as the firmware is out we'll have the Northrups putting out a video on how "Canon AF DESTROYS Sony", followed by one on how the "Sony A7V revolutionizes photography" and another "Micro Four Thirds is dead" followed by a "why the Olympus E-M5III is our top travel camera"...

Or they go the 6D2 route: "WORST CAMERA EVER" and then during a Canon vlogging press spree "BEST VLOGGING CAMERA EVER".
I have a hard time deciding what to think about that change of heart. The 6D2 by itself is an excellent camera, but if a bunch of influencers simultaneously and suddenly have a change of heart during a Canon promotion I can't help but think a bit of money changed hands.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Or they go the 6D2 route: "WORST CAMERA EVER" and then during a Canon vlogging press spree "BEST VLOGGING CAMERA EVER".
I have a hard time deciding what to think about that change of heart. The 6D2 by itself is an excellent camera, but if a bunch of influencers simultaneously and suddenly have a change of heart during a Canon promotion I can't help but think a bit of money changed hands.

I think it’s more likely just about piggybacking on Canon’s marketing bandwagon to get views while the topic is hot. Basically free exposure. The sudden change of heart thing is just a trick to get more attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hell will freeze over before dpr does or says anything favorable to Canon besides condescending and unsubstantial praise, I've stopped reading dpr a long time ago (Bryan Carnathan at tdp has the best online reviews: comprehensive, objective, and balanced). Anyway, now that Eye AF and tracking AF have been improved, I hope they don't stop there. A few AF innovations I'm hoping for:

- as mentioned in the OP article, detecting the eye when the face is completely on one side would be useful, as would detecting sunglasses
- Eye-blink detection, similar in concept to anti-flicker, where shutter is delayed if blinking is detected
- multi face detection for couple or group shots, combined with Eye-blink detection, would be an awesome feature (How many times have you taken a group shot and one person in the group blinked?). Also have Max aperture detection to get all faces in focus at the maximum aperture
- pet eye detection (I know Sony already has this)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Also have Max aperture detection to get all faces in focus at the maximum aperture
A-DEP is dead. Long live A-DEP! :p

Seriously, that would be a cool feature, to combine face detection with A-DEP (in P, Tv or Fv) such that the camera selects an aperture where all the faces in the frame are within the DoF.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Seriously, that would be a cool feature, to combine face detection with A-DEP (in P, Tv or Fv) such that the camera selects an aperture where all the faces in the frame are within the DoF.

As it happens, the 90D (and I presume the M6II too) has a new ”group photo” scene mode which would appear to do just that. Doesn’t help if you need more creative control, of course.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

I can see it now: Someone taking a group picture, and some bystander walks by in the distance and the camera tries to go to f/100 (with ISO having an exponent and shutter speed verging on "bulb") to get the depth of field "right."

But I agree, on the whole it's a good idea--and if/when I get the M6 II (about 30 seconds after I give up on there ever being an M5 II) I'll have some access to it.

Upvote 0