Review: Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM Art

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The-Digital-Picture has completed their review of the brand new Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM Art series lens.</p>
<p>While the image quality is impressive, there did seem to be some issues with autofocus performance, so it’s important to make sure you buy the Sigma USB dock to help with future updates to that may improve performance.</p>
<p><strong>From TDP:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>A significant number of photographers will find a wide aperture, ultra-wide angle zoom lens to be a valuable member of their kits. Is this the right one for you? While the AF consistency I’m seeing from this lens isn’t impressive and a misaligned lens is always costly to us in terms of time, I like what I see otherwise. With the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM Art Lens, Sigma has delivered us a beautifully-designed lens with very impressive image quality and a reasonable price tag. <a href="https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-14-24mm-f-2.8-DG-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
alfas said:
I wanted so bad a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 with an adapter for ages, but this one and also Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC seems to be better choices for Canon.

Which one of the three would you pick for nightscape photography and why?

The only one I have used and owned is the Tamron. Coma is very well controlled, almost non-existent. Extremely good IS (Tamron calls it VC) and the auto focus was just wonderful. No problems at all. Colors were well saturated. Almost non-existent. It is also very big and heavy. I like that. It is an outstanding UWA zoom. I used it about 100 miles from town in the middle of the desert in Nevada, so almost no influence from light pollution. Great lens. Just sold it the other day because I'll get more use from another lens if I ever can decide which other lens. ;)

Upvote 0
alfas said:
I wanted so bad a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 with an adapter for ages, but this one and also Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC seems to be better choices for Canon.

Which one of the three would you pick for nightscape photography and why?

I also have experience only with Tamron. I would go for Tamron, because it has VC. It makes big difference. And 15 mm vs 14 mm is not a big deal. As a plus you have more flexibility at the tele end.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
Mighty impressive(optically atleast) what Sigma has been doing off late.

Had the same thought after looking at the TDP results: I think they have incredibly gifted
optical designers which have created a simulation software that enables them to create
optically great lenses again and again!
For a landscape photographer it might be a winner using DPAF which should work without
any AF issues.

On the other hand I like Canons feature sets with lenses too: Make it not too heavy/bulky, put a
very reliable AF in it and use IS on top of a large aperture 85mm lens!

Choice is up to us depending on use scenario ...

Upvote 0
Pretty much every review ever written on Sigma lenses says this "While the image quality is impressive, there did seem to be some issues with autofocus performance, so it’s important to make sure you buy the Sigma USB dock to help with future updates to that may improve performance."

It's such a pity that a.f performance on there lenses can be so suspect. I have the 20mm Art, 35mm Art and the 50mm Art and love each of them but they have all needed micro adjustment. Roll on more mirrorless options so this won't be an issue any more.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Pure Photo N.I said:
Pretty much every review ever written on Sigma lenses says this "While the image quality is impressive, there did seem to be some issues with autofocus performance, so it’s important to make sure you buy the Sigma USB dock to help with future updates to that may improve performance."

It's such a pity that a.f performance on there lenses can be so suspect. I have the 20mm Art, 35mm Art and the 50mm Art and love each of them but they have all needed micro adjustment. Roll on more mirrorless options so this won't be an issue any more.

Mirrorless may make the gimmicky dock obsolete (except for those rare firmware updates), but it won't help with reliable, consistent AF. No more microadjustment, right, but just missing too much would still be a problem with Sigma. That's my prediction.

Is it Sigma's fault? Does Canon really use blackbox voodoo to make life harder for Sigma? Don't know!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
YuengLinger said:
Is it Sigma's fault? Does Canon really use blackbox voodoo to make life harder for Sigma? Don't know!

Yup, Sigma's fault. Not that AF should be easy, just that Sigma hasn't figured it out yet. Tamron has figured it out.

But, I've decided to not buy anymore third party AF lenses.

Upvote 0