Review: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OS Contemporary

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If you upgrade the firmware on the 150-600C past 1.01 -- which actually significantly improves autofocus -- it breaks compatibility with the Canon 1.4x III extender :( It causes an Error 01 on shutter half-press or AF button, even if lens is switched to MF.

The only way to make it work is to switch to MF, go to live view, and shoot from there. Once in LiveView, you can switch it back to AF, and then DPAF still works.

Annoying, because it basically means you can't use the OVF. Sigma will tell you to buy their extender :D Taping pins doesn't seem to work, but I have read that cheap kenko extenders do (I don't have one, so I can't try).

Upvote 0
For those who are still using this lens: What is your experience with OS? I find it quite hard to have a sharp image at 600mm (FF) handheld with speeds bellow 1/500s. I can still achieve sharp images in 1/320s but if I want to go bellow, I need a tripod. I'm not talking about moving subjects!

When it comes to discuss quality of this lens, I wouldn't complain about focus or IQ. My biggest complain is related to build. Missing weather sealing. Lens which most people are using for wild life or air shows without weather sealing is annoying. And it is not only about the moisture but also about dust.

I know that Sigma made Sport version which is supposed to be weather sealed but based on many comparisons, it is also worse in almost every other aspect.

Another bad aspect of build are switches on the side of the lens. They are very easy to move. Just by pulling the lens from backpack I usually move at least one of them and on those which have three position it is not sometimes clear if they are already in the middle or not.

Otherwise when it comes to performance / price ratio, it is probably one of the best lenses I've ever bought.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
@Ladislav -

The OS is constantly panning, and is vastly inferior to (not even in the same universe as) Canon 100-400LII Mode 3 IS in terms of usability. It's constantly moving, so you have to fight it to get focus. I also haven't figured out after thousands of pictures whether, on a tripod, I'm better off with OS on, or off.

Now, I just leave it on because the keeper rate seems about the same for stills, and I don't have to quickly switch it if I take the camera off the tripod for a handheld shot.

On the Canon 100-400 II, I leave it on Mode 3, which leaves IS off until the moment the shutter is going to open; I've found that this is gives me the highest keeper rate.

On the Sigma 150-600C, I also cannot get a "sharp" (read: usable) BIF photo at speeds below 1/500 handheld; keeper rate falls off a cliff when I go to 1/320. But my bigger problem for BIF is actually that at 6.3 my 80D just focus hunts until the bird is gone if it's a "fast" moving bird. It works for big birds like eagles flying towards me, with the sun behind me. It's also MUCH easier with a gimbal.

The Sport is far inferior, IMO. It's so heavy that it can only be used on a tripod, and the price premium makes it a no-brainer to buy a 100-400L II + 1.4x converter, unless your goal is to use the 150-600 + 1.4x converter.

Weather seal, dust is a good point on the subject of shooting wildlife. There are lots of spots where dust is a concern. I haven't had any problems with the Contemporary, though, and some of my favorite birding spots are quite dusty.

About the switches: Yeah, they move like crazy, including the Lock switch, which is almost pointless, because it's just so easy to turn it off. Two other relatively minor complaints about the Sigma 150-600C - the lock would be much better if you could use it at zoom levels other than 150, and the tripod foot on the collar would be much, much better if it had a safety pin or a second screw hole. I find that on tripod, it will eventually loosen.

My final gripe about the lens, especially compared to the Canon 100-400 II is the focus ring. It's just too stiff and too thin to easily manually focus.

But hey, the price is absurdly good, the range is amazing -- especially on APSC, and the IQ, when you get everything right, is just fantastic. So despite all of my bellyaching, I think this is an awesome lens and an awesome buy. Being spoiled by the 100-400 II, which is triple the price if you throw in a Canon 1.4x extender, doesn't diminish its incredible value.

Upvote 0
Here is a shot from with my copy of the 150-600C. ISO 100, 1/20, f8. So I could get the streaks of snow.

I was laying on the ground similar to how one would shoot a rifle. So there was a fair bit of support, but definitely not mounted. Plus I was on uneven ground in the snow. I took a look at some of my recent photos, and they usually stop at 1/320 as well for completely handheld.

The photo posted as well, I was waiting for about 15 minutes in the snow for the Heron to move, or switch positions, take off etc. but It was too cold, and I was in the street clothes, with no gloves or boots. Myself, lens and camera were completely soaked with an inch of snow layered over them both. I have many times taken it in the rain with no issues yet either.

The switches do move a lot, but I assumed it was the way I hold the tripod mount when I hold the lens since I don't carry it with a shoulder strap or anything. I guess its not just a problem for me.

I agree Talys, the manual focus ring is a joke.

Over all I have been very impressed with it.

1DX_2425-Edit by Ryan Kelly, on Flickr

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
600mm amplifies shake nearly 2x relative to 400mm (don't tell me 600/400 = 1.5, shake goes up faster than focal length in practice). I have gone down as low as 1/80s fully hand held on a 5DSR, http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=29874.msg674826#msg674826 but I wouldn't recommend it - the faster the better at long focal lengths. If you can't get a sharp shot below 1/500s, then send it back to Sigma.

Upvote 0