Review: Sony A7R With Canon Glass

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=15676"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=15676">Tweet</a></div>
<p><a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com" target="_blank">Fred Miranda</a> has completed his review of the Sony A7R camera body using Canon EF lenses.</p>
<p>I am currently shooting with the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008112-REG/sony_ilce7r_b_a7r_mirrorless_digital_camera.html/BI/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Sony A7R</a> and I have been extremely impressed by this little gem. The 2 native Sony/Zeiss lenses I have for the camera, the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008123-REG/sony_sel35f28z_sonnar_t_fe_35mm.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">35 f/2.8</a> and the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008124-REG/sony_sel55f18z_sonnar_t_fe_55mm.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">55 f/1.8</a> have both been terrific.</p>
<p>Fred takes the review from the side of a Canon shooter and using Canon EF lenses along with the A7R for landscape work. If you want a high megapixel camera for your Canon lenses, this may be the camera for you.</p>
<p><strong>Says Fred

</strong><em>“After a few days below sea-level in Death Valley, it’s always nice to come back home to capture a sunset by the pier in San Clemente. Watching the sky turn my favorite shade through the golden light, I still can’t believe the images churning out of this <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008112-REG/sony_ilce7r_b_a7r_mirrorless_digital_camera.html/BI/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Sony A7R</a>. Don’t let its size fool you, this baby packs a punch. For Canon photographers interested in landscape or studio photography, it’s a non-brainer. Combining this body with your arsenal of high quality Canon glass, makes for an unstoppable team.”</em></p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/A7R-review/" target="_blank">Read the full review</a> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008112-REG/sony_ilce7r_b_a7r_mirrorless_digital_camera.html/BI/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Sony A7R at B&H Photo</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Sep 25, 2010
hiZis said:
Made me extremely sad once again, when I saw this shadow recovery by Canon compared to others. :'(

This review affirms my wish that we could have a universal lens mount system so we could freely mix bodies and lenses as we choose. I think it would also create some consumer-friendly market pressure.

On the other hand, yesterday's "junk" news about Sony makes me think that Sony can't endure much more market pressure.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Those are very compelling images. It doesn't sound like dealing with adapters is ideal, yet, but the A7R sounds like a great platform for using vintage glass!

I have to say again, though - those are some great looking landscapes, and the shadow recovery section is also very impressive.

+1

Dustin, your words sum up my thoughts precisely. There are some quirks with adapters, particularly obtaining a perfectly centred one as well as the 'reflection' issue (with some work arounds noted).

As AF is not its strong point, it sounds not an ideal combination for moving subjects (understandably, where current DSLRs still rule the roost).

However, the definition (36MP) and ability to lift shadows with little negative impact on noise & detail is great. Hoping for a similar Canon offering in the future. But at this stage I'm still thankful with my Canon 7D! :)

Paul

Upvote 0
hiZis said:
Made me extremely sad once again, when I saw this shadow recovery by Canon compared to others. :'(

Exactly. It isn't even the resolution that appeals to me. It's the DR. The sad sack shadows in the Canon images bring to mind so many potentially satisfying captures that will never see the light of day because of my 5D3's sensor. I hope Novoflex follows through with their adapter to make the process of using my favorite Canon lenses feel like less of a kludge.

Upvote 0
Well, I think this is comparing apples to oranges. Reasons...

• 5D MK III is about two years old.
  • The A7R with it's 36MP sensor is 2x the size anything Canon offers.What it should be compared to is MF or the D800
  • Just about every other specification makes it geared for the MF/D800 crowd. It has no business doing anything that requires speed. Landscape/fashion-portrait: okay

I think it's an awesome camera and the price rocks! If you have the money to spend, cool. It's a Leica M9 competitor and for what it offers, especially the price, I'd take it!

Upvote 0
Will Samyang full-frame E mount lenses work on Sony A7r without adapter?

I'm wondering if the combination of Sony A7r + Samyang full frame E mount lenses will work, without an adapter. Anyone tried this combination?

One of the images from the Fred Miranda article was from using a Samyang 14mm, but didn't indicate if this was a Samyang 14 in Canon mount with an adapter, or was the Samyang "native".

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
Well, I think this is comparing apples to oranges. Reasons...

5D MK III is about two years old.
The A7R with it's 36MP sensor is 2x the size anything Canon offers.What it should be compared to is MF or the D800
Just about every other specification makes it geared for the MF/D800 crowd. It has no business doing anything that requires speed. Landscape/fashion-portrait: okay

I think it's an awesome camera and the price rocks! If you have the money to spend, cool. It's a Leica M9 competitor and for what it offers, especially the price, I'd take it!

Unfortunately Canon is only offering two year old oranges now :-(
I feel like I just bought a Mercedes, and my neighbor rolled up in a Bentley.

Upvote 0
MichaelHodges said:
To have that kind of DR recovery for wildlife shooting would be amazing.

But, I like Canon's lenses, so I'm willing to stick it out another year or two.

At this point Canon just needs to concede defeat and us the Sony sensors.

You are right. We buy into the eco system (lenses). But man, those sensors produce some EXCELLENT photos. It is hard to believe the shadow recover section. I agree, unless Canon has something up their sleeve, they should think hard about using the Sony Sensors.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
It seems to me that putting big lenses on a compact body kinda negates the advantage of compactness. That leaves the great sensor as an advantage, but still, the practical advantages over say a 5D3 or D800 are not that great.

Your mileage will certainly vary! :)

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:
It seems to me that putting big lenses on a compact body kinda negates the advantage of compactness. That leaves the great sensor as an advantage, but still, the practical advantages over say a 5D3 or D800 are not that great.

I keep hearing this argument but let's be honest, who doesn't appreciate a few less grams? It's when the body is so small comparative to the lens that it creates such an imbalance that it is even less comfortable than the same lens + larger body that it really negates the value. Adding a grip onto the a7/R might be more comfortable say with a 24-70L attached than with a 6D and the same lens - weight is weight, or lack thereof, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:

I was thinking the same thing if I think of the camera as a compact. Big lens makes it impractical. But if you think of it as a DSLR competitor, then it becomes much more interesting. It's like a stripped down DSLR. For my fashion work, it would be an excellent camera to use in many levels.

Upvote 0
bleephotography said:
drmikeinpdx said:

I keep hearing this argument but let's be honest, who doesn't appreciate a few less grams? It's when the body is so small comparative to the lens that it creates such an imbalance that it is even less comfortable than the same lens + larger body that it really negates the value. Adding a grip onto the a7/R might be more comfortable say with a 24-70L attached than with a 6D and the same lens - weight is weight, or lack thereof, in my opinion.

I agree; and as a landscape guy, I'm always looking to shed some weight on those longer hikes where I need to take water, food, etc. in addition to camera gear. I think I may rent of these for a 2 week trip to Utah & Arizona I have coming up.

Upvote 0
MichaelHodges said:
At this point Canon just needs to concede defeat and us the Sony sensors.

Given Sony's financial struggles (particularly the Moody's downgrade), I can imagine a scenario in which Sony sells off its imaging division in order to stay afloat in other areas (TVs, computers, phones, etc.). I wonder if Canon might consider buying Sony's imaging division and/or patents. That could be exciting. Although, the downside is that there would be less pressure on Canon to innovate, so we'd get the short-term gain of Sony's current sensors, but could that be at the expense of long-term innovation/competition?

It'll be interesting to see what happens. My guess is that Canon is always working on new/innovative sensor tech. Whether/when we see it, of course, depends on effectiveness of the tech, reliability, production capability, competition, market conditions, et cetera. Canon may move slowly, but I'd be very surprised if a significant jump in sensor performance doesn't come along in the next 1-3 years.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
if you want AF performance with that kind of IQ then there's still D800/e. tho I think the Sony has a slight IQ edge now.
or ABC for crop sensor bodies (anybody but canon)

But I've been considering that Sony as well, as it would do what I use the d800s for now and give me plenty more options for adapting all kinds of glass to it that the Nikon cannot take with its long register distance.
darn d800 depreciation...

Oh well, I'll cheer myself up and pre-order a Fuji X-T1 to play with.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
drmikeinpdx said:

Depends what you shoot.

If you need fast AF and tracking capabilities, then yes, the 5D3 is the better choice.

If you do comfortable studio work, then yes, the D800 is the better choice.

If you go around a lot, if you shoot static subjects, if you shoot on a tripod a lot, then the a7r is the best thing out there.

I would also like to point out that this article is about adding an a7r to your Canon kit rather than full-switching to Sony. It lets you get the goodness of that sensor without a heavy investment in new glass.

Upvote 0