Review - Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD with Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Jim O said:
Oh. The serial number is on the invoice and the warranty card so I will know.

The lens was received by Tamron this morning. Waiting to hear...

I wonder if it is, in fact, an issue with the lens itself. Several other Tamron lenses do not work properly with the outer AF points on the 7D, 40D, 50D, and 60D - the off-center AF points don't function as cross type points.

Turned out that wasn't an issue with Tamron per se, but rather with the fact that 3rd party lenses must be 'reverse engineered' to work with the Canon AF system, and in this case Tamron took the expedient route of 'borrowing' the Lens ID codes of some old Canon lenses. When Canon stopped supporting those old lenses in their firmware, current Tamron lenses ran into trouble.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-officially-acknowledges-lensid-issue/

I wonder if something similar is occurring here?

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
Jim O said:
Oh. The serial number is on the invoice and the warranty card so I will know.

The lens was received by Tamron this morning. Waiting to hear...

I wonder if it is, in fact, an issue with the lens itself. Several other Tamron lenses do not work properly with the outer AF points on the 7D, 40D, 50D, and 60D - the off-center AF points don't function as cross type points.

Turned out that wasn't an issue with Tamron per se, but rather with the fact that 3rd party lenses must be 'reverse engineered' to work with the Canon AF system, and in this case Tamron took the expedient route of 'borrowing' the Lens ID codes of some old Canon lenses. When Canon stopped supporting those old lenses in their firmware, current Tamron lenses ran into trouble.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/canon-officially-acknowledges-lensid-issue/

I wonder if something similar is occurring here?

It sounds like the issue there is that the vertical and horizontal portions function separately in that scenario.

Using Google translate on http://www.canon.de/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_7D.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:83-822402&page=1&type=faq:

When using one of the eight listed below zoom lenses that have been placed on the market between 1990 and 1995, with one of the listed cameras, the AF points function in the edge region is not as cross AF points, resulting in vertical and horizontal lines leads that are not recognized at the same time. Vertical and horizontal lines are only detected separately

The images in http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11251.msg311218#msg311218 are taken with the outer column of horizontal AF points so this is not exactly analogous.

According to LensRentals.com's analysis, which has looked at this issue, this lens should be in "Group C" in the following graphic (pretty much straight out of the manual):

AC.jpg

Upvote 0
I just ordered the Tamron 24-70/2,8 VC, I'd like to add a stabilized standard zoom to my equipment and I don't want an f/4. It took me a long time to decide, I read a lot of reviews claiming that the first copy they received was defective. Sometimes even the second and third one... I hope I'm gonna be lucky, but I'll definitely run all possible tests as soon as I'll have the lens in my hands and if something goes wrong I guess I'll wait for Canon to release a 24-70/2,8 IS, probably at a crazy price...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Just because some other person had a bad experience (which they may or may not have exaggerated) doesn't mean that you will.

I am sorry to be the devil's advocate here but this can be reversed: Just because some other person had a good experience (which they may or may not have exaggerated) doesn't mean that you will.

Sorry I cannot consider it an unbiased argument.

More technically: This may cry QC issues and as neuro said not complete reverse engineering but the end result unfortunately remains the same for the unsatisfied buyer.

I recognize the price difference and the IS advantage of course but it seems unfortunately that there will be some disadvantages together with the advantages.

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
Jim O said:
Just out of curiosity - did you actually have a dialogue with Tamron about the lens? I'm curious if they acknowledged your experience as a wider spread problem. Secondly, do you know your original serial number? I'm interested to know if they fix your lens (probably with an updated circuit board) or replace it.

I did call and I spoke with someone in their service department. He did not offer that type of information but neither did I specifically request it. He did seem confident that the issue could be resolved with repair or replacement.

The lens serial # is 038xxx. I can provide the exact serial number to you privately if you wish.

Jim, I don't need the serial number, but I'm glad you know it so you can tell if you get your lens back or a replacement.

Follow up:

Today was either day #4 or #5 depending on whether you count the day that the lens arrived to Tamron at 10:20 AM. Either way it was beyond their "three day turnaround" policy on warranty repairs. I had heard nothing despite sending a contact email via http://cgi.tamron.com/repair_status_form.htm two days ago. I called and spoke with someone who seemed to be a secretary in the service department. She looked up the repair order and put me on hold in order to speak with a repair technician. She came back and told me that a new board was required and it was not in stock, that they were waiting for it to be shipped from Japan. She tried to reassure me that the turnaround would be quick once the board arrived, although she had no idea when that might be. I explained that I was not satisfied and asked to speak with a manager. After about ten minutes on hold I spoke with a supervisor. I explained to him that the current state of affairs was unacceptable and that if they could not repair a brand new lens in their guaranteed turnaround time, they should replace it. I also mentioned that it would have been good service to have initiated contact with me since they had my email address and my mobile phone number. He basically agreed and said he would speak with his manager.

He called back an hour later and said they were going to overnight a brand new lens to me that was being pulled from their stock.

On the whole I'm not really happy having had to chase them down on this.

I will post further when the new lens arrives.

Upvote 0
I finally had the chance to use the first stabilized 24-70/2,8 in the history of mankind.
Unfortunately, being the focus ring at the bottom of the lens, using it on a rig with a follow focus, as I suspected, is not comfortable at all and that's already a "no go", for me. Anyway, I considered to keep the lens anyway, even if it could not replace the Canon 24-70/2.8, for times when I have to act fast and use the camera on a monopod or even handheld. But... VC doesn't work, at least on my sample, as well as it should.
I noticed it shooting stills, but this makes me suspicious about its video skills too.
What I noticed is that it takes a while for the VC to start working after you half press the shutter button, so it is not very helpful if you have to to take a picture "on the fly", like during an event.
What's more, with faster shutter speeds (let's say over 1/60) if I leave the VC enabled I get less sharp images than if I keep it disabled, so I always have to check the shutter speed I'm using to decide whether to live the VC enabled or not. Way too annoying.
After a couple of days of testing, I brought the lens back to the shop. They told me than in a week they'll give me another copy to verify if this issues are to be considered "normal", but I think I already made up my mind.
As far as the optics is concerned, that's definitely a very good lens, considering its price, but the mechanical side leaves a lot to be desired, as often happens with third-party lenses. And I'm also afraid, from what I read in many posts, that QC is quite an issue at Tamron's. I don't wanna have to test 3-4 lenses before getting a decent one and keep worrying that it could suddenly stop working properly...
Anyway, I will check this second sample before deciding.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2012
I finally have my thoughts to chime in.
I like this lens, though have to say I won't be using it for probably 70% of my work. Why?
I shoot lots of gigs. Often the light is bad at best, but when I broke out my tamron 24-70 VC I found it could not focus in poor light. It was probably -1EV, but even with the AF assist lamp it was returning drastically OOF images, while acknowledging accurate focus.

The 50 1.4, 85 1.8, sigma 35 1.4 and the Canon 24-70 2.8 I&II all focused like champions in the same conditions even in servo with no assistance

So, in a bizzare turn of events, I find myself unable to use a standard lens designed for low light work in a low light environment. I guess I'll be using it for weddings, portrait shoots etc, but it'll be staying in the gear cupboard for gigs. Which is a shame, really....

Upvote 0
Ewinter said:
I finally have my thoughts to chime in.
I like this lens, though have to say I won't be using it for probably 70% of my work. Why?
I shoot lots of gigs. Often the light is bad at best, but when I broke out my tamron 24-70 VC I found it could not focus in poor light. It was probably -1EV, but even with the AF assist lamp it was returning drastically OOF images, while acknowledging accurate focus.

The 50 1.4, 85 1.8, sigma 35 1.4 and the Canon 24-70 2.8 I&II all focused like champions in the same conditions even in servo with no assistance

So, in a bizzare turn of events, I find myself unable to use a standard lens designed for low light work in a low light environment. I guess I'll be using it for weddings, portrait shoots etc, but it'll be staying in the gear cupboard for gigs. Which is a shame, really....

If what you are saying is true, I would return/exchange the lens. I have no such issue and after AFMA have consistent focus results on all of my bodies with the Tamron. It shouldn't perform any differently in low light than the other lenses save perhaps the Canon 24-70II. I get much more accurate and consistent results from the Tamron than I do from my own copy of the 85mm f/1.8 (which is actually my most inaccurate focusing lens even after careful/multiple AFMA). It's not terrible, but I have very high sharpness/accuracy expectations for all of my kit.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
All image stabilisation (including that on Canon lenses) works in this fashion. So if you don't like its behaviour then IS/VC lenses are not for you regardless of who makes them.

Obviously, all lenses stabilizers need a bit of time to star working, but the VC of the lens I tried took way too long.

dilbert said:
luciolepri said:
What's more, with faster shutter speeds (let's say over 1/60) if I leave the VC enabled I get less sharp images than if I keep it disabled, so I always have to check the shutter speed I'm using to decide whether to live the VC enabled or not. Way too annoying.

That's bizarre and I've never heard of anything like that except with tripods where you need to turn off IS with longer shutter speeds as IS/VC keeps moving the lens when it isn't required.

That's the other reason why I guess VC has something wrong in that sample.

Anyway, they already gave me another sample, I hope I'll be able to run some tests in the next few days. I'll post here my considerations about it. I really want this lens to be up to my expectations, a good 24-70/2.8 with image stabilization would be extremely useful, for me...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.