RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

Had a chance to go out today, decided last minute to bring my Broncolor and 75cm Octabox.

Took this shot at f1.2, iso 100, 1/3200s. This lens is the coolest one yet, I can't praise it enough.
Please take a look at the shot here and let me know what you think.:)

wow, great picture (y)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Excellent! Congrats! I’m guessing CanonFanBoy will get his today also. I enjoy that lens SO much, and the perfect companion to the RF50.

Thanks, you must be doing alright in all this commission! ;)

Its INCREDIBLE!!! Apart from the size!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, this is one B I G mother of an 85mm! I got a grip for the R, even after I said, "not getting a grip for the R, want to keep it small and light" Yeah right!!! Whatever....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Had a chance to go out today, decided last minute to bring my Broncolor and 75cm Octabox.

Took this shot at f1.2, iso 100, 1/3200s. This lens is the coolest one yet, I can't praise it enough.
Please take a look at the shot here and let me know what you think.:)
Wow!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Excellent! Congrats! I’m guessing CanonFanBoy will get his today also. I enjoy that lens SO much, and the perfect companion to the RF50.
I just wish my grandson was old enough to sit still like that. ;) First image at f/1.2. Second at f/4. Both at ISO 100. Both are natural light. If I set up flash for
he's too interested in the umbrella and stand so it is futile at this point. I have a model shoot tomorrow and will be using the 85mm. I'll see what I can get. I'm not near as good as Viggo.

Attachments

• _E5A1015.jpg
    _E5A1015.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 4 wheeler JPEG.jpg
    4 wheeler JPEG.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Got my 85! Never knew a lens could be this sharp at 1.2!
It really is a wonder. I have a shoot tomorrow from 9am-10am, then another next Saturday. These will be my first model shoots with the lens. My grandson is impossible. ;) After 35 years I'd forgotten just how much and how quick a toddler moves around. It's like trying to get a photo of a flying mosquito. Can't wait to see your pics. :)

Viggo says the RF 50mm f/1.2L is also a great lens. It will be another year before I can snag another lens at these prices. It is going to be very interesting to see what Canon does between now and then. I am really hoping for an RF 135mm f/x.x or a short zoom like a RF 70-135 f/x.x. I just have to think Canon will do a show off zoom akin to the RF 28-70mm f/2L. I'd prefer the zoom over the prime. I think I'd be very happy either way. These will be the last lenses I'll ever buy in my lifetime. They are the end of the rainbow, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I just wish my grandson was old enough to sit still like that. ;) First image at f/1.2. Second at f/4. Both at ISO 100. Both are natural light. If I set up flash for
he's too interested in the umbrella and stand so it is futile at this point. I have a model shoot tomorrow and will be using the 85mm. I'll see what I can get. I'm not near as good as Viggo.

Try seating him on a low barstool, or let him climb up a medium step ladder to the top. Most toddlers, when their feet aren't on the ground, will be still just long enough to get a shot. Be quick! (And please take all safety precautions!)

(I was going to post a shot demonstrating, then realized shots here should be taken with the rf 85mm f/1.2L. Which I don't have. Yet.)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L... Absolutely no sharpening applied. The model for last Saturday's workshop flaked, so I recruited my friend Brit to pose today while I tried out a new technique. I'd have never dreamed an f/1.2 could be this sharp. Yeah, I know. The photos suck.

Attachments

• Brit 1 web.jpg
    Brit 1 web.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Brit 2 web.jpg
    Brit 2 web.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Brit 3 web.jpg
    Brit 3 web.jpg
    952.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Brit 4 web.jpg
    Brit 4 web.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the photos, Brit1 is my fav.

And the lens is awesome, I hate to say it (for those on the fence in owning both), but the RF 50 is just as good imo, these two lenses are the best I've seen in years, the 85mm and even the 50 are sharper by some margin than my 200/2, I used to think of it as one of the sharpest L lenses.. I don't think I have much else (16-35II, 35II, 24-70II, EF50, EF85, 100, 135, 70-200II, 200/2, 500II) that stacks up to them other than the 35/1.4 II and even that looks soft over the two RF's.

Upvote 0