RF lenses I want

Who would like a RF 14-35mm f4 for the EOS-R line. I would and Canon could use the extra space of the RF lenses and not make it humongus. For my mark IV like the 16-35 best.
Another lense to complement the RF 14-35 could be a 24-300mm as a succesor to the EF 35-300 (long overdue). For me the perfect pair for travels, but I do miss my 100-400mm.

What lenses do you like to see from Canon?

PS I read a lot, but this is probably my first post.

RF 35mm 1.8L
RF 50mm 1.8L

Light, compact, and excellent wide-open performance for travel. Something like the Nikon Z lenses or Fuji lenses, which perform very well wide open.

The current 35 1.8 is a jack-of-all-trades kind of lens that I honestly only enjoy using at 2.8. At 1.8 there is so much vignette and bokeh at edges is just plain distracting even for non-photographers. Still a great lens at the price point, but Canon, please, please make L versions of 1.8 lenses. Don't just make heavy, large 1.2/1.4 L lenses. Make some 1.8s too. My wallet is ready............... I'd pay the prices Nikon is currently charging for their equivalents easily, even a bit more, just please make them. CANON PLZ

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Both Canon and Nikon have a limited number of lens design teams. The experience and knowledge makes it difficult to just create additional teams. Canon has already said they pulled R&D designers into production design. That means maybe 5 or 6 RF lenses a year, and the big sellers will be zooms. We already know which ones will appear this year, and have a likely list for next year. If you want something not on those lists, it seems that a longer wait is going to be needed.

Upvote 0
RF 35mm 1.8L
RF 50mm 1.8L

Light, compact, and excellent wide-open performance for travel. Something like the Nikon Z lenses or Fuji lenses, which perform very well wide open.

The current 35 1.8 is a jack-of-all-trades kind of lens that I honestly only enjoy using at 2.8. At 1.8 there is so much vignette and bokeh at edges is just plain distracting even for non-photographers. Still a great lens at the price point, but Canon, please, please make L versions of 1.8 lenses. Don't just make heavy, large 1.2/1.4 L lenses. Make some 1.8s too. My wallet is ready............... I'd pay the prices Nikon is currently charging for their equivalents easily, even a bit more, just please make them. CANON PLZ

If Canon wants its lineup to be coherent I'm afraid that your wish may never really see the light of the day - or at least not in the next 5 years.
The 35mm RF is firmly entrenched in the cheap and cheerful side of things, and otherwise it seems to be all in for f1.2 L lenses.
The RP desperately needs more lenses like the 35 RF as well.
We'll know when additonnal cheaper lenses are released, but I'm not expecting anything like Nikon's f1.8 lineup any time soon.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
For many use cases, the current R camera seems quite adequate for the high-end RF lenses.
To think I always thought better glass helped make photos from a mediocre camera better. Silly me. ;) The R is just fine for those lenses. The RP probably is too. The way I have to look at it is this: I need to build the glass collection regardless. If I need a better camera later, I can do that. I just got my R yesterday and can't understand the bashing it gets (maybe because of video features? I don't do video) or why some think it isn't up to the RF glass. In the mean time, my EF glass is working flawlessly on my R.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
To think I always thought better glass helped make photos from a mediocre camera better. Silly me. ;) The R is just fine for those lenses. The RP probably is too. The way I have to look at it is this: I need to build the glass collection regardless. If I need a better camera later, I can do that. I just got my R yesterday and can't understand the bashing it gets (maybe because of video features? I don't do video) or why some think it isn't up to the RF glass. In the mean time, my EF glass is working flawlessly on my R.
The R is a Canon camera and you are surprised it gets bashed ???? And then there are the slr guys who don't even like the idea of a mirrorless camera, etc., etc....... and besides it doesn't have a joystick.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The R is a Canon camera and you are surprised it gets bashed ???? And then there are the slr guys who don't even like the idea of a mirrorless camera, etc., etc....... and besides it doesn't have a joystick.
LOL! Never said I was surprised. I said I don't understand the bashing. ;) I was born with a joystick and it has caused me nothing but bad decisions and trouble (A redhead from Paducah, KY comes to mind). ;) BTW: Just mounted my 70-200 to the R. Works great, but I think I need the battery grip to comfortably use that one. The camera by itself seems a little small, handling/balance wise, with a long, front heavy lens. I need more purchase for my little finger. Otherwise, I am very pleasantly surprised at the great ergonomics of the R. I can't say, though, that the R is as comfortable as a 5D body. It isn't. Still very good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0