RF Mount 7D2 replacement? Could it happen?

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
True if you hand hold it, but if you put it on a tripod it is quite usable. But tripod cannot remove the problems with low battery life and weather sealing... for which 90D would be a better choice.
But how often would you choose a tripod or even a monopod for a 100-400 over hand holding? Hand holding and the associated responsiveness is what these lenses are made for.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Lets be honest though. That bottom combination is utterly ridiculous and you would only use it if you had no other choice. Balance is just as important if not more so than weight. And that is as unbalanced as it comes

Au contraire. I put the sigma 500mm on my m50. That is even more unbalanced. (And I found the m50 with the 100-400 ergonomically usable [the situation called for a shorter lens, but that's not the configuration's fault] though I did only get to borrow that lens for about 15 minutes.)

If I had any really wealthy friends I'd buy an m100 just to put it on their 1200mm lens.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Actually I suspect you might be wrong in the long term

I doubt they will start development of any new M or EF lenses but slowly cover the entire range both L and budget with R lenses and R cameras

At that point they will phase out the production of EF and M lenses and cameras.

I personally tried the route of an M5 + adapter and found the whole experience absolutely terrible when I was in a situation where I was carrying the M5 and 5D and wanted frequent lens changes - jossling adapters on and off lenses all the time was sheer hell.

If the choice was between

A carrying a full frame R and a crop-sensor R and one set of lenses which fit both

B carrying a full frame R and an M and a mixture of lenses and am adapter

It's a no brainier which anyone would prefer - assuming they can come up with a range of small light R lenses and crop cameras ... Which I very strongly expect they can do technically

I can't see why anyone would actually prefer to carry around two half-incompatible cameras (can't fit M lens on an R camera ...)

So my belief is that Canon will opt for one homogeneous range with a spectrum of price points in cameras and lenses

For those people for whom size and weight are of supreme importance I suspect that a phone plus perhaps a yet-to-be-invented "eye-goggles EVF" viewfinder will be the ideal choice

RF and EF-M cameras are aimed at two different types of camera buyers. M system cameras and lenses are not designed to be attractive to R users, or even FF EOS DSLR users. They are aimed at users who are only going to have a single camera body and 2 or 3 lenses.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Lets be honest though. That bottom combination is utterly ridiculous and you would only use it if you had no other choice. Balance is just as important if not more so than weight. And that is as unbalanced as it comes

The bottom combination is utterly ridiculous for having two flat filters stacked on the front to create additional reflections and flare. Friends don't let friends shoot with "protective" filters unless a sandstorm, ocean spray, industrial welding/grinding/machining, or other flying particles are involved.

• Haha
Upvote 0
The bottom combination is utterly ridiculous for having two flat filters stacked on the front to create additional reflections and flare. Friends don't let friends shoot with "protective" filters unless a sandstorm, ocean spray, industrial welding/grinding/machining, or other flying particles are involved.
The lens was not meant to be used with either or both filters and the cap on!
The filters were stacked for not being misplaced while transporting this and other 77mm front lenses.
Otherwise, the camera-lens combo has been functional and useful.

Upvote 0
But how often would you choose a tripod or even a monopod for a 100-400 over hand holding? Hand holding and the associated responsiveness is what these lenses are made for.
Almost always on tripod and gimbal when using this combo for small birds and other animals in the backyard. Every combo has its use.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Almost always on tripod and gimbal when using this combo for small birds and other animals in the backyard. Every combo has its use.
Ok. But barring a physical issue I don't understand why you would do this. The lens is light enough to hand hold with complete stability. And a tripod or m onopod would only serve to slow reaction time and limit movement. So sure. If you are forced to use a support device then the balance is irrelevant. But it becomes a setup of very limited scope

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
True if you hand hold it, but if you put it on a tripod it is quite usable. But tripod cannot remove the problems with low battery life and weather sealing... for which 90D would be a better choice.
As I just mentioned in the BIF thread, I tried the 100-400mm II on the M6 II this morning, and whereas it would be fine on a tripod, it's far too uncomfortable for me to hand hold with all the weight on my left hand whereas the hefty grip on the 90D spreads the load. A mirrorless APS-C the size of the 90D with an EP6N battery would be interesting.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The lens was not meant to be used with either or both filters and the cap on!
The filters were stacked for not being misplaced while transporting this and other 77mm front lenses.
Otherwise, the camera-lens combo has been functional and useful.

Why not use the box/holder the filters came in? How are the filters going to be stored in your bag while you are shooting without them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Ok. But barring a physical issue I don't understand why you would do this. The lens is light enough to hand hold with complete stability. And a tripod or m onopod would only serve to slow reaction time and limit movement. So sure. If you are forced to use a support device then the balance is irrelevant. But it becomes a setup of very limited scope

A lens can be very usable hand held for a little while. That same lens may not be as usable hand held when aimed continuously at potential subjects for several hours.

I shoot high school football with my heaviest lens on a monopod. From the sideline most of the action begins between the hash marks and is in the same general direction from my position over the course of each play.

I take that lens off the monopod for the halftime show, where potential subjects are closer to and even on the sideline and they are spread all over the field at a much wider range of angles to my position.

After halftime, I then put the lens back on the monopod for the second half, when most plays are all shot with the camera pointed in roughly the same direction.

The halftime show lasts about eight minutes for each band. I'm there mostly to shoot one of the two. The football game lasts 48 minutes on the game clock, plus the time when the clock is not running until the next play starts. Each half usually lasts around an hour to an hour and twenty minutes or so. A lens that is not too heavy to hand hold for eight minutes can be too heavy to hand hold more or less continuously for two and one half hours.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
A lens can be very usable hand held for a little while. That same lens may not be as usable hand held when aimed continuously at potential subjects for several hours.

I shoot high school football with my heaviest lens on a monopod. From the sideline most of the action begins between the hash marks and is in the same general direction from my position over the course of each play.

I take that lens off the monopod for the halftime show, where potential subjects are closer to and even on the sideline and they are spread all over the field at a much wider range of angles to my position.

After halftime, I then put the lens back on the monopod for the second half, when most plays are all shot with the camera pointed in roughly the same direction.

The halftime show lasts about eight minutes for each band. I'm there mostly to shoot one of the two. The football game lasts 48 minutes on the game clock, plus the time when the clock is not running until the next play starts. Each half usually lasts around an hour to an hour and twenty minutes or so. A lens that is not too heavy to hand hold for eight minutes can be too heavy to hand hold more or less continuously for two and one half hours.
Ok. Fair call. I have often had a Tele like this on a tripod for hours at a time with wildlife on a similar fashion. But having said that I still would never run it on a tiny mirrorlbody as it would mean I can't then use the same setup as an effective mobile unit due to its poor balance. So I suppose if you never really handhold for any length of time it makes enough sense. In situations like I tend to be in it doesn't and I guess I tend to see things from that perspective.

Upvote 0