ring

Jul 28, 2015
Was this hand held or tripod mounted?

You also need to bear in mind that when a region becomes out of focus, its 'edges' spread (which is why it is out of focus!) and it is the software's job to identify the edges. Tproblem with ojects like a diamond is that the brightness of the edges (which is what makes diamonds attractive) creates a bloom effect over nearly all frames so the software finds hard to see a frame where the edge is defined.
The same thing happens with macro shots of moss with dew on it

If you zoom in on the image the grain on the table top is in OK focus. Some stones on the 'V' are in OK focus others are not and this is where the iridescence of the stones is causing that 'bloom'.
The first thing I can suggest is not to use direct flash - using bounced flash (or highly diffused flash, same thing) may help.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
rnl said:
yes please...I used a ring flash and a 600rt as a slave.
can't seem to get good detail.

I've never done this kind of photography, but I'll see if I can offer a few useful ideas. First, I agree with Mikehit that the stacking software is struggling. Every different focus distance produces different reflections off the facets. Experiment using extremely soft light instead of the direct ring flash.

Also, it appears that the large number of photos is accumulating many of the facet reflections to give the image a muddy or grainy look, almost as though the stones have multiple internal flaws. Try using fewer photos in your stack to see which negative effects diminish -- that may give you more clues.

Last, search for "jewelry photography stacked focus" and see how others are doing it successfully.

Upvote 0