RIP iPhoto and Aperture -- Apple's 'Photos' is now live

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I've decided to use it, but only to manage photos from/to my iPhone/iPad via iCloud since that was already in place. It's a nice way to get images from my phone to my iPad and Mac - I don't have to do anything, they just appear. The similar user interface doesn't hurt either for the little bit I do with photos from a phone. And the volume is low enough there is no performance problem.

My other 50K+ images from the past 35 years are managed separately in LightRoom 6.

Upvote 0
Supported by Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.04

Canon EOS 5DS*

Canon EOS 5DS R*

Canon EOS Rebel T6i / 750D / Kiss X8i

Canon EOS Rebel T6s / 760D / Kiss 8000D

Fujifilm X-A2

Hasselblad CFV-50c

Hasselblad H5D-50c

Leica C (Typ 112)

Nikon 1 S2

Nikon D7200

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II**

Panasonic LUMIX CM1

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF7

Pentax MX-1

Notes

*Canon RAW format only

**16MP RAW format only

***Nikon RAW L format only

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
dcm said:
I've decided to use it, but only to manage photos from/to my iPhone/iPad via iCloud since that was already in place. It's a nice way to get images from my phone to my iPad and Mac - I don't have to do anything, they just appear. The similar user interface doesn't hurt either for the little bit I do with photos from a phone. And the volume is low enough there is no performance problem.

My other 50K+ images from the past 35 years are managed separately in LightRoom 6.

Sure, but iPhoto does that for me now. Works fine. I still think I'm holding on to iPhoto until the wheels come off.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
Sure, but iPhoto does that for me now. Works fine. I still think I'm holding on to iPhoto until the wheels come off.

You should just switch to Photos. It's trendy, sporty, classy...and it has wheels, too.

9eHIv.png

Upvote 0
TexPhoto said:
May 10th 2016. Photos is on Version 1.0.1 and still sucks hard.

I'm still using Aperture to catalogue my pictures. But I'm looking around for alternatives. Camerabits.com has something in the works, ACDsee is available for OSX again, but I think it lacks some functionality. Phase one media pro would definitely be up to the job, but is expensive. Adobe Bridge is also a possibility, but I don't like Adobe and its new subscription model. Onone Browse seems also to be limited. DigiKam looks okay, but I miss search capabilities like in Aperture.

It is definitely hard, to live without Aperture. The smart album function, with the endless search capabilities are so great in Aperture, I haven't worked with something similar so far.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
aj1575 said:
TexPhoto said:
May 10th 2016. Photos is on Version 1.0.1 and still sucks hard.

I'm still using Aperture to catalogue my pictures. But I'm looking around for alternatives. Camerabits.com has something in the works, ACDsee is available for OSX again, but I think it lacks some functionality. Phase one media pro would definitely be up to the job, but is expensive. Adobe Bridge is also a possibility, but I don't like Adobe and its new subscription model. Onone Browse seems also to be limited. DigiKam looks okay, but I miss search capabilities like in Aperture.

It is definitely hard, to live without Aperture. The smart album function, with the endless search capabilities are so great in Aperture, I haven't worked with something similar so far.

Have you looked at Affinity Photo ?

OT but I'm a bit excited about this announcement, quite a turn-a-round, thankfully

https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-is-coming-to-windows/

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2016
aj1575 said:

I made the transition to LR - Adobe does have a non-subscription version of Lightroom you just need to hunt for it as they try to push everyone to the subscription model. Once I made the change to LR I was kicking myself for sticking with aperture for so long.

Upvote 0