Roger did it again: RF 70-200 Teardown

Superb job, Canon. I want.. but at $2699 i'd rather have a 50 1.2 or 85 1.2. but if i did pro portraits all day, i'd def get this.

What Canon really needs though is a pancake. A 50mm F2 pancake would be sublime. cheap and simple. no IS. if possible, smaller than the 40 2.8 pancake. If the new flange distance can allow this.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
What Canon really needs though is a pancake. A 50mm F2 pancake would be sublime. cheap and simple. no IS. if possible, smaller than the 40 2.8 pancake. If the new flange distance can allow this.

Seconded. anywhere from 40-60mm for me, makes no difference - would just want something super flat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019

I love the way the 70(-200) handles like a "normal" (heavy, fat) lens and not a horse's leg telephoto.

Agree on the pancake, and the 40 on an adapter or the 50 1.8 RF might be compact enough.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
"The most common ‘dusters’ among current lenses all happen to be primes that don’t zoom at all."
Note that internet hearsay has more adherents than a respected expert with first hand experience.

it’s not hearsay when I can hear the testimony of the person with actual factual experience. And it’s more credible when it’s the testimony of unbiased professionals with years of experience servicing hundreds of lenses used by thousands of different people.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
it’s not hearsay when I can hear the testimony of the person with actual factual experience. And it’s more credible when it’s the testimony of unbiased professionals with years of experience servicing hundreds of lenses used by thousands of different people.
I am quoting the actual comment of Roger's. My point is that the reflex comment of internet punters is "It extends=deal breaker" or "It extends=non-pro lens". Never mind the many pro lenses that do exactly that.
I have been shooting for 40+ years as a working pro and the many lenses I have used all get minor amounts of dust but none more than others. And none to the extent that impairs IQ except the dust on the front or rear element that is independent of the lens design.

The comments denigrating extending lenses seem to come from every corner irrespective of the experience of the commenter. Thus I call it hearsay or better yet dogma.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I am quoting the actual comment of Roger's. My point is that the reflex comment of internet punters is "It extends=deal breaker" or "It extends=non-pro lens". Never mind the many pro lenses that do exactly that.
Roger actually KNOWS. Most commenters do not.
I have been shooting for 40+ years as a working pro and the many lenses I have used all get minor amounts of dust but none more than others. And none to the extent that impairs IQ except the dust on the front or rear element that is independent of the lens design.

The comments denigrating extending lenses seem to come from every corner irrespective of the experience of the commenter. Thus I call it hearsay or better yet dogma.

Upvote 0