Roger disassembled the new RF 50/1.2

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Some quotes from the conclusion:

* "In the meantime, we’ll have to settle for seeing the same ‘best in field’ optical adjustability we expect in Canon lenses. "

* "But one thing that is very clear: the RF lenses contain some new technology they haven’t used before. There’s a lot of engineering that’s gone into these. Things are different inside here. As we’ll see in the next teardown we do, some of that is carrying over to at least some EF lenses. What does this mean? It means Canon has invested very heavily into developing the lenses of the R system. This level of engineering didn’t all happen in the last year, they’ve been working on this for quite a while."

I would say: great job Canon, well done - despite the crazy wires!

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Some quotes from the conclusion:

* "In the meantime, we’ll have to settle for seeing the same ‘best in field’ optical adjustability we expect in Canon lenses. "

* "But one thing that is very clear: the RF lenses contain some new technology they haven’t used before. There’s a lot of engineering that’s gone into these. Things are different inside here. As we’ll see in the next teardown we do, some of that is carrying over to at least some EF lenses. What does this mean? It means Canon has invested very heavily into developing the lenses of the R system. This level of engineering didn’t all happen in the last year, they’ve been working on this for quite a while."

I would say: great job Canon, well done - despite the crazy wires!
Here is Dpreview's coverage of this teardown:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/35069...-lens-to-reveal-new-optics-tech-and-surprises

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I sure explains some of why the AF is so incredibly accurate, it’s like it just knows where I want focus...

Yes, really impressed with one shot AF on the R -- dual pixel AF is great for stills. It made my 24L II and 50L much more useable... too bad those were sold to fund the RF 50. ;)

Still trying to figure out my system with touch/drag to focus. I'm left-eye dominant, so my nose routinely pushes against the screen to move the point. I like the ease of setting the point, but then I'd like to "lock" it in until I hit another button. I've moved the touch sensitive portion from the right to left side, but I'm not sure I like it there either especially if I'm using the left hand to support a heavier lens. I often set the AF point specifically on my dSLRs to get the framing I want for a series of shots at a time. Having to reset the point because my nose inadvertently moved it is annoying.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yes, really impressed with one shot AF on the R -- dual pixel AF is great for stills. It made my 24L II and 50L much more useable... too bad those were sold to fund the RF 50. ;)

Still trying to figure out my system with touch/drag to focus. I'm left-eye dominant, so my nose routinely pushes against the screen to move the point. I like the ease of setting the point, but then I'd like to "lock" it in until I hit another button. I've moved the touch sensitive portion from the right to left side, but I'm not sure I like it there either especially if I'm using the left hand to support a heavier lens. I often set the AF point specifically on my dSLRs to get the framing I want for a series of shots at a time. Having to reset the point because my nose inadvertently moved it is annoying.
I can imagine! Have you tried lower right corner ? Wow, that’s like the left hand issues my daughter has, things I never thought of... I’m using my right eye so no issues, but I can see the nose being an issue...

Upvote 0
I can imagine! Have you tried lower right corner ? Wow, that’s like the left hand issues my daughter has, things I never thought of... I’m using my right eye so no issues, but I can see the nose being an issue...

Yup, left handed in a right handed world.

The first thing I tried was absolute but I think that required the entire screen, so that didn't work, so now I'm back to relative in a small area. Lower right and top right are both bad. What I think I need to figure out is whether or not it is possible to use the multifunction bar to enable/disable AF point selection on the screen. If I can do that, then I can go back to whole screen absolute position, touch my desired point, and lock my selection by pressing a button.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yup, left handed in a right handed world.

The first thing I tried was absolute but I think that required the entire screen, so that didn't work, so now I'm back to relative in a small area. Lower right and top right are both bad. What I think I need to figure out is whether or not it is possible to use the multifunction bar to enable/disable AF point selection on the screen. If I can do that, then I can go back to whole screen absolute position, touch my desired point, and lock my selection by pressing a button.
You can absolutely switch the touch’n drag on/off with tapping the Touch Bar.(y)(y)

Also, no you can use Absoulte with only a part of the screen active.

Upvote 0