Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 Wide Angle Review

TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Stylish shot. You've used the distortion to your benefit here, and the textures are nice and crisp.
Thanks Dustin. Actually, I did use a lens correction profile but because of mostly curve lines, it's really hard to differentiate whether one was used or not. I downloaded my lens profile from Adobe using the lens profile downloader from the following link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5492

I've not hard a chance to compare the differences between Adobe's vs Sven's. Has anyone tried both of these profiles?

Upvote 0
weko said:
Stylish shot. You've used the distortion to your benefit here, and the textures are nice and crisp.
Thanks Dustin. Actually, I did use a lens correction profile but because of mostly curve lines, it's really hard to differentiate whether one was used or not. I downloaded my lens profile from Adobe using the lens profile downloader from the following link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5492

I've not hard a chance to compare the differences between Adobe's vs Sven's. Has anyone tried both of these profiles?

I've used them both, and the new profile (from Sven) is considerably better. Still, as you have shown in this image, perfect lines aren't always the most desirable quality. I have used quite a few shots from the Rokinon without correction at all because I like the result.

Upvote 0
I've used them both, and the new profile (from Sven) is considerably better. Still, as you have shown in this image, perfect lines aren't always the most desirable quality. I have used quite a few shots from the Rokinon without correction at all because I like the result.
I will certainly try out Sven's lens profile. Thanks!

mrsfotografie said:
Ok I modified the text file so it can now be selected from the lens profile list under make 'Samyang'. This way it is independent of the camera model or brand. Download it below:
Nice work. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Very true, the mustache distortion with the 'bulge' in the middle of the frame can be used to considerable artistic effect.

Upvote 0
Shot the skyline of downtown Houston yesterday after sunset. Both pictures were shot from the same spot. The time difference was about 20 mins.

With Rokinon 14mm 2.8 and the lens correction profile posted by mrsfotografie
12633905755_4c1e3162fa_b.jpg

With Canon 24-70mm 2.8L II
12633904175_199f67a717_b.jpg

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Interested in getting this lens. Which is better, get a Canon mount lens + EMF chip for AF confirmation & correct EXIF data or Nikon Mount lens with Nikon to Canon EF adapter (Nikon mount lens has AE support and focus confirmation) ? In short, which is the more reliable way to get the AF confirmation light & correct EXIF data? TIA

Upvote 0
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
Interested in getting this lens. Which is better, get a Canon mount lens + EMF chip for AF confirmation & correct EXIF data or Nikon Mount lens with Nikon to Canon EF adapter (Nikon mount lens has AE support and focus confirmation) ? In short, which is the more reliable way to get the AF confirmation light & correct EXIF data? TIA

I would add the EMF chip. Going with the adapter means that you introduce the possibility of some image quality less through an adapter that is less than perfect.

Upvote 0
Mark D5 TEAM II said:

I would add the EMF chip. Going with the adapter means that you introduce the possibility of some image quality less through an adapter that is less than perfect.

I agree, and if you get a programmable chip you can do your own calibration.

Upvote 0
Been thinking of adding an af confirm chip to my lens, but the pictures of some of these chips on ebay seem to suggest that they are low quality and dirty/rusty in general. So I'm a little concern that the chip might shed dust or come loose and scratch the sensor. Do y'all have any issues with this chip? What's your experience? Thanks.

Upvote 0
weko said:
Been thinking of adding an af confirm chip to my lens, but the pictures of some of these chips on ebay seem to suggest that they are low quality and dirty/rusty in general. So I'm a little concern that the chip might shed dust or come loose and scratch the sensor. Do y'all have any issues with this chip? What's your experience? Thanks.

If you go for the chips mentioned above, you should be OK. They are pretty good quality. Just make sure that you have it glued well, and it should stay in place nicely.

P.S. Nail polish remover helps clean up any excess glue.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
mrsfotografie said:
weko said:
Shot the skyline of downtown Houston yesterday after sunset. Both pictures were shot from the same spot. The time difference was about 20 mins.

With Rokinon 14mm 2.8 and the lens correction profile posted by mrsfotografie
12633905755_4c1e3162fa_b.jpg

Cool shot!

Can you give more information and maybe links to "mrsfotografie"...what exactly that is? Is this correction something you can plug into LR5?

Thanks in advance,

Cayenne

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just bought this lens used (v2) and it is everything Dustin said...very pleased once I read this thread and saw info on the focus scale thing that agreed with what I found in mine. I also saw extremeinstability's review and shots and it sold me on this lens for nightscapes. Thanks to both of you for your info.

I'll add a couple of things to the thread not already mentioned:

1) The "PTLens" distortion correction app has a good profile for this lens, and is a good option for those not using Photoshop or another tool with correction that will work for this lens. PTLens runs as a PS plugin, a stand alone app, or as an external editor for LR or Capture One. I zoomed 400% and pixel peeped the before and after, and the after is very clean IMO.

2) Seems there are a number of new AF confirm chips coming out of China that are programmable and work with 5D3, will be trying one soon on this lens, will post results if anyone interested...

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
skitron said:
Seems there are a number of new AF confirm chips coming out of China that are programmable and work with 5D3, will be trying one soon on this lens, will post results if anyone interested...

would appreciate it if you'd let us know how it works out, should you try one of the chips.

Upvote 0