Rokinon/Samyang 14mm f/2.8 $275

drjlo said:
Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 is the name in the ebay ad, but is it a different version than the one found in internet reviews (Lenstip review, etc), aka Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC?

No Rokinon developed an entirely new lens with the exact same specs as their best selling 14mm lens, specifically so they could disappoint customers but offer a 20% discount. It's brilliant decision making if you ask me. :p

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
Radiating said:
drjlo said:
Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 is the name in the ebay ad, but is it a different version than the one found in internet reviews (Lenstip review, etc), aka Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC?

No Rokinon developed an entirely new lens with the exact same specs as their best selling 14mm lens, specifically so they could disappoint customers but offer a 20% discount. It's brilliant decision making if you ask me. :p

I'm not sure the sarcasm is warranted. I believe Samyang/Rokinon did have an earlier version 14mm that was no where near as steller as the current (reviewed) model. I suspect the poster wishes to avoid making a mistake. Does anyone know the answer?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
dppaskewitz said:
Radiating said:
drjlo said:

I'm not sure the sarcasm is warranted. I believe Samyang/Rokinon did have an earlier version 14mm that was no where near as steller as the current (reviewed) model. I suspect the poster wishes to avoid making a mistake. Does anyone know the answer?
There is a Samyang UMC version, and there was an earlier MC version which was slightly different and was produced only at the very beginning (as far as I know - I think wikipedia has something on that). I have seen the Rokinon branded only labeled as MC, never as UMC. I believe they never cared to update the name for the Rokinon branded versions

Upvote 0
The item's description on eBay at first confused me a bit too; for example it certainly isn't a "fisheye" lens. Also the picture doesn't match the one at B&H. But I happily pulled the trigger when I saw that the "MFG Part #: FE14M-C" are the same (as B&H) & correct. BTW, I don't think that they've made the older version since 2009...

Upvote 0