Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The last week has seen a flurry of new rumors and speculation about Canon’s plans in 2020. This is just a round-up of all we have learned over the last week or so.
Canon EOS R5

45mp full-frame CMOS
IBIS
12fps / 20fps
8K @ 30p
4K @ 120p
4K @ 60p
Rumored announcement date of February 13, 2020
Full specifications here

Canon EOS R6

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
Rumored announcement of May 2020
Full specifications here

Lenses

Canon RF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon RF 100-500mm (Possible)
Canon RF Extenders (Possible)
Full post here

Canon EOS Rebel 850D/T8i

24.1mp
DIGIC 8
45 AF points (all cross-type)
7fps
4K @ 30P...

Continue reading...

Trankilstef

Image making loverEOS R and EOS R5 (soon)
Jan 5, 2020
www.stephanetranquillin.com
The question I ask myself is what is considered the more video centric camera between the R5 and R6 cameras? Looking at the specs it should be the R5 but mybe the video functions like the 8k or the 4k120 will have major crop, and on the opposite the low megapixel and specs of the R6 make it a mini 1dX MkIII? I really don't know how to consider either of thes rumored cameras in the Canon lineup.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The question I ask myself is what is considered the more video centric camera between the R5 and R6 cameras? Looking at the specs it should be the R5 but mybe the video functions like the 8k or the 4k120 will have major crop

Well, the 8k definitely cannot have a major crop or it won't be 8k.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2017
The question I ask myself is what is considered the more video centric camera between the R5 and R6 cameras? Looking at the specs it should be the R5 but mybe the video functions like the 8k or the 4k120 will have major crop, and on the opposite the low megapixel and specs of the R6 make it a mini 1dX MkIII? I really don't know how to consider either of thes rumored cameras in the Canon lineup.
I guess you have to wait until the tests of the R6 in May/June/July for the final comparison. People cheered when Canon announced 4k for the 5D Mark IV but then it had this huge crop. Canon announced 4k for the Canon M50 but then it didn't have Dual Pixal AF in 4k. The Canon M6 Mark II has 1080p/120fps but it also has a crop, no AF and no sound in this mode.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I guess you have to wait until the tests of the R6 in May/June/July for the final comparison. People cheered when Canon announced 4k for the 5D Mark IV but then it had this huge crop. Canon announced 4k for the Canon M50 but then it didn't have Dual Pixal AF in 4k. The Canon M6 Mark II has 1080p/120fps but it also has a crop, no AF and no sound in this mode.
None of the cameras that shoot high speed video beyond 2x record audio natively. Not sure if its limitation of audio sampling rate or DSP or somewhere else but its a commom limitation.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
8K with a major crop is impossible... here’s why:

To render a 8K image requires at least 33 megapixels. Ideally, you would want more for oversampling. With the sensor being only 45 megapixels how major of a crop could it possibly be? It is simply not possible to have a “major” crop and 8K at the same time. There are too few megapixels to allow for it.

Regarding 4K, the 8 megapixels needed to produce the image could certainly be accomplished with a significant crop from the 45mp sensor. So weather or not the 4K will be cropped it’s up in the air. However, if the new sensor/processor is truly 8K capable, perhaps it is also able to process 4K @ 120fps without a crop? No doubt Canon remembers how much negative press they got for having a “major crop” on the EOS R. I would not be surprised to learn that such a crop is absent from the new camera. Hopefully we will know soon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
To render a 8K image requires at least 33 megapixels. Ideally, you would want more for oversampling. With the sensor being only 45 megapixels how major of a crop could it possibly be? It is simply not possible to have a “major” crop and 8K at the same time. There are too few megapixels to allow for it.

Additionally, remember that the aspect ratios are different. A 45 MP 3:2 sensor has roughly 8200 horizontal pixels, so it's very much the minimum resolution that allows you to shoot "DCI 8K". On the other hand 16:9 8K footage will likely have a very slight crop.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
I’m having a hard time believing the announcement and release dates. Announcing one camera in February but releasing it in July and then announcing a second camera in May and releasing it in June doesn’t make sense.

True!
That also ringed a bell on me! There is a lot of time from announcement of the R5 and the supposedly the market release date. It´s 5 months it´s a lot of time! Usually we have an announcement and after 1 month/1 and half camera hits the streets... For example, 1dxMKIII was announced at 6 January and will be on the market on 13 February. 1 and half month after. Unless.....we only going to have a Development announcement of the R5 now....But that would be trully awkward!

From the R6 it will make more sense, announcing in May and releasing in June. We need to wait a bit longer to clarify this things...But it will be great disappointing if we have to wait until July for this R5....But heck....I am waiting for 3 years, what is the problem in waiting more 3/4 months! :)

Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
8K with a major crop is impossible... here’s why:

Regarding 4K, the 8 megapixels needed to produce the image could certainly be accomplished with a significant crop from the 45mp sensor. So weather or not the 4K will be cropped it’s up in the air. However, if the new sensor/processor is truly 8K capable, perhaps it is also able to process 4K @ 120fps without a crop? No doubt Canon remembers how much negative press they got for having a “major crop” on the EOS R. I would not be surprised to learn that such a crop is absent from the new camera. Hopefully we will know soon.

I have a suspicion that Canon will keep the 8K30 and 4K120 modes under the same computational bandwidth. (4X pixels vs 4X fps) So with that logic 8K will not have much noticeable crop to achieve 7680 × 4320 on a 7726 x 5150 sensor, while 4K 120 will have a even larger crop than R's 4K.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The 1DX3 had a "development announcement" before the launch announcement. Canon may be doing a similar thing with the R5, revealing some of the specs but not all of them. Historically that hasn't been how Canon operates but that could be changing. An "intensely competitive" environment and all that.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
The 1DX3 had a "development announcement" before the launch announcement. Canon may be doing a similar thing with the R5, revealing some of the specs but not all of them. Historically that hasn't been how Canon operates but that could be changing. An "intensely competitive" environment and all that.
Yes. That´s the only explanation for the R5 dates. However there is one small (but big) difference. In the development announcement of Canon 1dxIII we didn´t have so much info! From these R5 it seems that we have practically all the info (at least the biggest and relevant....). So its kinda weird. We need to wait a bit longer to know.

Upvote 0
I have a suspicion that Canon will keep the 8K30 and 4K120 modes under the same computational bandwidth. (4X pixels vs 4X fps) So with that logic 8K will not have much noticeable crop to achieve 7680 × 4320 on a 7726 x 5150 sensor, while 4K 120 will have a even larger crop than R's 4K.
So you're saying most people will shoot in 8k and not 4k....

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
So you're saying most people will shoot in 8k and not 4k....

Most people will probably shoot at 4K60 or 4K30. 4K120 is for special situations where a 2x crop might not even be that big a deal. It's not like 8K30 is a replacement for 4K120, they're completely different beasts.

Upvote 0