Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
OK!!! I haven't used them and I had forgotten about them. Now I remembered they existed on some compact cameras...

Canon EOS x0D, xx0D, and xx00D models all have scene modes. xD models do not.

The fact that the 7D and 7D mark II do not have a "sports" mode ought to tell you something if you're listening...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon EOS x0D, xx0D, and xx00D models all have scene modes. xD models do not.

The fact that the 7D and 7D mark II do not have a "sports" mode ought to tell you something if you're listening...
Used to have a 40D which unfortunately was stolen. But I had never used them. Then I got a 5DII and now 5DIV, 5DsR and 7DII.
So the 200D I had gotten for my mother and used a little myself will have them! OK I can't check it now.
I may have come across them long time ago back in the film days. I just remembered somethin and checked my damaged EOS 50E film camera and found them! I hadn't used them even back then. I had started with EOS 620 and I used either Tv or Av. That camera didn't have them if I recall correctly. Just P, Av, Tv, M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something might be too good to be true regarding the R5 specs. It doesn't' make sense that Canon would so quickly overshadow the 1DX III coming out this month. Why would someone buy the 1DX III when they can wait a few months and get a camera that's more than double the resolution and almost or just as fast? Is the auto-focus much slower, smaller buffer....? Hoping there will be more clarity in the coming days on this as I was planning on getting the 1DX III but not sure it's a wise decision. I'd have no problem using an adapter for my EF telephoto lenses with the R5 if it's actually all true in terms of what's being said.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Something might be too good to be true regarding the R5 specs. It doesn't' make sense that Canon would so quickly overshadow the 1DX III coming out this month. Why would someone buy the 1DX III when they can wait a few months and get a camera that's more than double the resolution and almost or just as fast? Is the auto-focus much slower, smaller buffer....? Hoping there will be more clarity in the coming days on this as I was planning on getting the 1DX III but not sure it's a wise decision. I'd have no problem using an adapter for my EF telephoto lenses with the R5 if it's actually all true in terms of what's being said.

The 1-series is about more than specs. It's about durability and reliability while taking punishment day in and day out by those whose livelihoods depend on everything working every minute of every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 1-series is about more than specs. It's about durability and reliability while taking punishment day in and day out by those whose livelihoods depend on everything working every minute of every day.
I'm not sure we can presume the R5 will not be durable or consistently reliable at this point. Specs do matter.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The F5 will not have the OVF, or optically based AF, and will likely have a smaller buffer. And matching a spec is not the same thing in my mind as overshadowing a more expensive camera. Under the circumstances, it might make sense to wait until we know what the R5 specs actually are before making a decision, or even until we get some reviews on the R5's performance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'm not sure we can presume the R5 will not be durable or consistently reliable at this point. Specs do matter.

I'm pretty sure we can also assume it won't be quite as robust as the 1-series bodies, either. The 5, 6, and 7 series of DSLRs were not as "bulletproof as the 1-series DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Why would someone buy the 1DX III when they can wait to get the R5? Maybe because for the target consumer, 20 MP is better than 45. Maybe because for the target consumer an OVF is much better than an EVF. What you may think are better specs may not be better for others.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
As the R5 falls more in line with my type of shooting than the 6, I look forward to see LR do a tear-down as I am most interested in the level of weather sealing. If it is to be a 5DV analogy, it should be substantial. So the question is can they stuff all of that goodness plus sealing into an R sized body, or will it grow...

Upvote 0
The question I ask myself is what is considered the more video centric camera between the R5 and R6 cameras? Looking at the specs it should be the R5 but mybe the video functions like the 8k or the 4k120 will have major crop, and on the opposite the low megapixel and specs of the R6 make it a mini 1dX MkIII? I really don't know how to consider either of thes rumored cameras in the Canon lineup.

Agreed. I was assuming that if I wanted the latest & best cameras, I'd of course be choosing the 1dx3 and the supposed "high Mp" R body coming. But if my main reasons for the 1dx3 are video and wildlife, the R5 sounds just as viable, if not better. However, I do like the sounds of the better low light in the 1dx3, but is that really going to be much different in a new model like the R5 with all those specs? Hard to believe. The way the 1dx2 feels to work with is just LOVE LOVE LOVE so it'll be hard to sway me away from the 3.

Upvote 0

Yeah it's this reason that I am almost certainly getting the 1dx3 and the high Mp R body to replace the 1dx2 and 5dsr. Even though the 1dx3 Mp will remain the same, I am sure the anti-alias filter improvement will help it tighten up a little in appearance. It's almost as if the R5 will be the consumer camera as a single do-it-all choice that is more affordable than either of the other two I'll be getting.

Upvote 0
Why would someone buy the 1DX III when they can wait to get the R5? Maybe because for the target consumer, 20 MP is better than 45. Maybe because for the target consumer an OVF is much better than an EVF. What you may think are better specs may not be better for others.
I can see that desire for some sports photogs that need to get to press quick and want to optimize their workflow. That said, I generally don't run into many people these days that want less resolution, especially if they don't have to compromise on speed.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

There are various levels of durability and consistency, just as there are levels of specs. How much each weighs versus the other also varies from one user to the next.

Upvote 0