RP continuous use

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
In astrophotography the camera is in use for hours at a time. This means either lots of batteries or an external power supply. Has anyone tried using the RP for extended periods of time? Can you use it while it is plugged into the USB charger?

Thanks for any replies.....

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
It won't charge, but you can use it while plugged into a charger. The RP will only charge when the switch is in the "Off" position.
Same for the R, but the question is what is the source of power in that scenario – battery or USB?

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
I can't tell you if the RP overheats the sensor when used continuously, but if its not cold out, that's a real concern, because the sensor is running all the time. That is probably the biggest issue, power is easy.

I'd use a external power supply. I have a Case Relay which can be powered by AC or USB / USB Battery and will power any Canon DSLR (except 1 series) continuously. I used it with the appropriate adapter on my 5D MK IV, my EOS R, and SL-2. (The SL-2 adapter is the same one used for the RP).

If you are using a USB battery, the case relay contains a internal battery that keeps your camera working while you change USB batteries. What I like about it is that it can be used for any Canon DSLR except 1 series by changing the plug-IN adapter

Reactions: CanonFanBoy